Page 1 of 9
Pretty straightforward question- does anyone here regret going to university?

I do- my degree is useless and the chances are (and I'm talking about 80%+ here) that I won't actually do a job which requires my specific degree course.

Anyone else?
Quote by JackalUK
And you're studying what exactly?

well, he is a drummer so probably... farming.

/the pit reply
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Classical Studies. It's a form of history studies.

Like early Greek history and the like?

I don't regret my degree because I'm studying Linguistics so I have a reason to travel the world, talk to people in English - my mother tongue so no effort at all - and get paid for doing it.

But I did a year of a psychology degree and instantly regretted it so dropped off the course, that was a waste of time and money.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Like early Greek history and the like?

I don't regret my degree because I'm studying Linguistics so I have a reason to travel the world, talk to people in English - my mother tongue so no effort at all - and get paid for doing it.

But I did a year of a psychology degree and instantly regretted it so dropped off the course, that was a waste of time and money.

Why did you drop the psych degree? The 2 psychologists I know make a ****load of money.
I don't because I did a degree that has good job prospects.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

How so?
It's only a waste of time if you're **** at it.

EDIT: Woops, misread your post. I thought you were calling psych degrees a waste of time and money
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 20, 2009,
Depends on if you pick the right course, and you're up to it. A degree in media studies for example, will get you no where. But doing Astrophysics when you can't hack gcse science would definitely be a waste of time. Not that they'd let you do astrophysics..
That was a rare post..

My band on:myspace facebook UG
Leeds '07 '08 '09!
I don't know the answer, or have anything funny to say, but dude that is one sweet Bulbasaur avatar
So far no, I'm studying archaelogy, will probably do some history and photography too and eventually I'm hoping I can travel the world either doing documentary photography or just travelling. I just finished my bachelor's degree in sexiness so I don't think finding jobs will be difficult.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Ghast
Why did you drop the psych degree? The 2 psychologists I know make a ****load of money.

Wow...

Sad that you value money so highly that you'd reccomend someone to do psych even though they just stated they didn't like it.

I like Uni. Dunno if I'll end up with a decent degree or not, but I'll deff enjoy what I do.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
My degree in Graphic Design will lead straight into a job.

Also, Uni is fun.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by Kensai
So far no, I'm studying archaelogy, will probably do some history and photography too and eventually I'm hoping I can travel the world either doing documentary photography or just travelling. I just finished my bachelor's degree in sexiness so I don't think finding jobs will be difficult.

Archaeology is an excellent job if you're willing to travel. When I was in construction we worked with them. The lads hated them, they figured they just slowed up the job and did nothing, but even in my little town the woman had discovered bones and pottery and stuff. She was really interesting (and clearly a hippy, but whatever)
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Not even slightly. My subjects (English and History of Art) are amazing. With History of art I get a bursary to go abroad over the holidays in my junior honours year to go to musueums that will be relevant to whatever my dissertation is (of course, I could choose to do it on stuff that's in Britain, but screw that). There's also the chance of a bursary for a year abroad in another institution if I do well. Which I have thus far. All the stuff we do (with the slight exception of 1 of the books we have to read: The Jungle book) is really interesting. Met some great people as well.

EDIT: Gushing
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I took Art History with Philosophy. I don't regret it at all. I'm about to start a residential job in London looking after an art collection. Rent free might I add.

Your degree will only be useless if you yourself are useless.
Quote by JackalUK
I value money very highly

Enough to go into a career you hate?

I'm so saddened by people's obsession with money...Happiness doesn't come from money.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

How so?
It's only a waste of time if you're **** at it.

Well there was this

I do find it interesting, but I can't handle maths at all. I am terrible at it, and the course I was on consisted of 5 hours of maths, 4 hours of biology and like 1 hour a fortnight of study-analysis, which was the only bit I was actually good at.
I don't even know why they'd accept somebody from a language and sociology background onto the course, seeing as they suggested that the A-levels you should have had to get accepted would be maths, biology, psychology and further maths D=
Don't do pysch, there are so many people doing it and there are so few jobs it's unbelieveable.

Do physics, get some cool jobs and probably get to travel the world, and when you're bored of that, there's a huge shortage of physics teachers.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
TBH I think either way I'm going to end up in a manual job. Which I had hoped to avoid by going to university.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Most of the time people regret not doing something more than they regret doing something.

+1

Quote by JackalUK
I value money very highly

Just remember what Bob Marley last word where to his son......"Money can't buy life."

I think if i do head to university, as long as i do the subject or course that i love and find interesting, i will never regret it.
Quote by TunerAddict
Enough to go into a career you hate?

I'm so saddened by people's obsession with money...Happiness doesn't come from money.
Do you support yourself financially?
Quote by rigiddigits
I took Art History with Philosophy. I don't regret it at all. I'm about to start a residential job in London looking after an art collection. Rent free might I add.

Your degree will only be useless if you yourself are useless.

Oh that's fun. Are you being paid? How did that come about?
Call me naive, but I believe degrees should be about learning and intellectual development, not getting a job. Education for education's sake if you will... I don't really care much about money or qualifications -- yet -- but perhaps that's just my youth
Quote by Juadafi
Don't do pysch, there are so many people doing it and there are so few jobs it's unbelieveable.

There are heaps of jobs if you're good at it. Most of the people doing it aren't good at it.
If you manage to get a 2.1 in psych then you're set. Get your ass into a Post Graduate degree and do well in it and you'll walk into a job relatively easily.
Plus, you don't have to go on to be a Psychologist, a degree in it is considered valuable in any field that deals with people, HR management in particular.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Call me naive, but I believe degrees should be about learning and intellectual development, not getting a job. Education for education's sake if you will... I don't really care much about money or qualifications -- yet -- but perhaps that's just my youth

True, but at the same time, you need people doing jobs who are qualifiedl
Quote by meh!
Oh that's fun. Are you being paid? How did that come about?
Yup. Pay works out to around £600 a month to myself, after everything's come out. Also I get 3 meals a day during the week, and an NVQ after a year.

I've been working in mansions and stately homes etc ever since my first year at university, both volunteering and paid roles. After I graduated, I worked full-time at one house for six months, and then when that contract ended I started doing some freelance photography doing photoshoots of historic collections. But I don't like self-employed work, so I started looking for another graduate job, and I've always wanted to live in London, so I got this one

Eventually I want to be a curator, but that's a long way (and a Phd) off.

What are you thinking of doing with your degree?
Last edited by rigiddigits at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Archaeology is an excellent job if you're willing to travel. When I was in construction we worked with them. The lads hated them, they figured they just slowed up the job and did nothing, but even in my little town the woman had discovered bones and pottery and stuff. She was really interesting (and clearly a hippy, but whatever)

Yeah some archaeologists are really obtuse

I don't know the word in english but there's a special job requring a person with an archaelogical background that needs to be around all the time if you're digging, renovating (if it's an old building) and stuff like that in case something is discovered. People hate those.

Hopefully I won't be that guy, even if they have intersting stories to tell of finds they made inside old buildings.

I find psychology to be incredibly interesting as well, but I don't know if I could handle it. I just like to know things I guess.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Occasionally. I don't like my course (English Lang and Lit) all the time, it's often filled with people spouting airy nonsense. You get a lot of irritating babble about how something is the "distilled essence of poetry in the soul" and so on, which I hate. However, I do enjoy it when I ignore that and get on with the work.

I do however, think that are too many people going to university nowadays, and that a lot will regret it. As elitist as it may sound, I think that a lot of people doing Media Studies and so on at ex-polys will regret it later on, when they realise that this hasn't improved their job prospects at all. The percentage of people going to uni has gone up massively, but the number of true graduate jobs haven't, and this will cause problems for people with below-par degrees.
Geography.

Regrets?

**** no! There won't be ANY.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I do- my degree is useless and the chances are (and I'm talking about 80%+ here) that I won't actually do a job which requires my specific degree course.

This be the perks of picking something broad - don't be so negative though chances are you'll be fine.
Quote by Kensai

I find psychology to be incredibly interesting as well, but I don't know if I could handle it. I just like to know things I guess.

Yeah, that was my problem
Quote by Kensai
Yeah some archaeologists are really obtuse

I don't know the word in english but there's a special job requring a person with an archaelogical background that needs to be around all the time if you're digging, renovating (if it's an old building) and stuff like that in case something is discovered. People hate those.

Hopefully I won't be that guy, even if they have intersting stories to tell of finds they made inside old buildings.

Ya, that was the person I was talking to. I was managing the sites so I had to deal with them. We were digging . The workers really ****ing hate them but I thought they were excellent craic. High proportion of hippies but that's to be expected.
Looks pretty though though, a lot of geology and stuff judging by what she was writing in her wee notebook.
It would probably be cooler to be the guy who gets to chase mummies though
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I finished my first year in May and it was the biggest waste of time of my life. Loved the night life, hated the city and hated most of the modules and people in my course. Now I'm doing an apprenticeship in being an electrician and loving every minute of it. One thing to take away from this is uni isn't for everyone, seriously think about what you want to do and like doing.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah, that was my problem

The most difficult thing for me right now is trying to decipher how the rest of my degree works out

They've changed the set up and now it's all confusing
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by SmarterChild
Occasionally. I don't like my course (English Lang and Lit) all the time, it's often filled with people spouting airy nonsense. You get a lot of irritating babble about how something is the "distilled essence of poetry in the soul" and so on, which I hate. However, I do enjoy it when I ignore that and get on with the work.

I do however, think that are too many people going to university nowadays, and that a lot will regret it. As elitist as it may sound, I think that a lot of people doing Media Studies and so on at ex-polys will regret it later on, when they realise that this hasn't improved their job prospects at all. The percentage of people going to uni has gone up massively, but the number of true graduate jobs haven't, and this will cause problems for people with below-par degrees.

That's the thing about English Literature (and Language) - it's either really good with everyone engaging properly or everyone sits around doing **** all or making really terrible points...

That's what I found anyway. At A level standard, with a poor class. I was also a bit annoyed I didn't do as well as I could have, as the examiners at A Level standards clearly just want the buzzwords - dare someone to write an original opinion... and, yeah. That's another story though.

I think you raise a good point about suspect degrees. Some of the people things pick just baffles me, ie, who the hell gave them that specific idea out of thin air?

Overall though it's great everyone wants to better themselves which is why people going to University can only be a good thing.
Quote by rigiddigits
Yup. Pay works out to around £600 a month to myself, after everything's come out. Also I get 3 meals a day during the week, and an NVQ after a year.

I've been working in mansions and stately homes etc ever since my first year at university, both volunteering and paid roles. After I graduated, I worked full-time at one house for six months, and then when that contract ended I started doing some freelance photography doing photoshoots of historic collections. But I don't like self-employed work, so I started looking for another graduate job, and I've always wanted to live in London, so I got this one

Eventually I want to be a curator, but that's a long way (and a Phd) off.

What are you thinking of doing with your degree?

Bit far away at the moment (only starting second year in september, 3 years left). Post-grad, hopefully, but I can't even decide whether it would be literature or art (OR A COMBINATION OF THE TWO ).

Might volunteer at Kelvingrove gallery for now...

Do you do some sort of curatorial studies PhD or is it just generally expertise in a subject area they're looking for?