I researched a bit and kinda know what it's meant to do,
but

Is it worth it?
Is it actually good to have in your live rig?

or is it just ass?

I've heard it just ends up sounding like a ****ty mid scooped devoid-of-balls tone...is this true?

Sushant
Its one of those things you just have to purchase it to get out of your system.. Yes it does work and makes your tone a ton clearer. But at a cost, the more you crank it the better it sounds but the outcome of that is your tone sounding processed.

So you end up with this dilemma...

Crank it to sound its best or dont crank it because it sounds processed. But if im not cranking it and actually getting its full potential why did I even buy it..

Thats the thought process I went through and now I no longer have it.
The Sonic Maximiser?
I agree with above, it does make it sound processed slightly, but it makes everything so much clearer, so I put up with it
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
The Sonic Maximiser?
I agree with above, it does make it sound processed slightly, but it makes everything so much clearer, so I put up with it

A lot of guys agree. It may sound processed or "studio-ized" however, that's what some guys are after....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
My understanding of those is that they were originally designed for recording, and helping older amps of the day cut through a mix. They weren't *supposed* to be used in a pedal chain as an effect. But people wanted them, so what the hell?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its one of those things you just have to purchase it to get out of your system.. Yes it does work and makes your tone a ton clearer. But at a cost, the more you crank it the better it sounds but the outcome of that is your tone sounding processed.

So you end up with this dilemma...

Crank it to sound its best or dont crank it because it sounds processed. But if im not cranking it and actually getting its full potential why did I even buy it..

Thats the thought process I went through and now I no longer have it.

This.

Although, if you like that touch to your tone, go for it.