Page 1 of 5
This is a subject I'm terribly interested in, it's almost an obsession, especially the German side of things. Hopefully there's some others out there interested in the causes, battles, equipment, participants and stories of this truly global war.

Anybody else out there?

Last thread died, can't find it. This'll probably fail, but hey, who cares. Anyway, have a picture of a German Commando:

Edit: Some interesting reading if you're interested, feel free to suggest some more:

Inside Hitler's bunker
D-Days saviour
Polish badass
Germany and Soviet's secret pact
Commander of the daring U47 Scapa Flow raid
British and French pacifism
Pre-War Japanese Atrocities (Disclaimer: Pretty Graphic)
Japan's infamous Unit 731 experimentation
Germany's best Panzer Ace
Planned invasion of the UK
Franz Stigler (well worth the read)
Arguably Russia's finest commander (interesting that there's no mention of Khalkhin Gol though )
Japan's first crack at Russia
World relations at the time
Japan invades Alaska
Southern Russia offensive
First shots of the war
The Architect of Stalingrad
The inventor of the contraptions that saved Britain
The Pirate who saved Tobruk
Female resistance who smuggled stranded allies through the Pyrenees
Leningrad's only supply line, Doroga Zhizni
Another Japanese war atrocity
Bomber Harris, responsible for thousands of civilian deaths
A lulzy sabotage attempt on the USA, using incompetent agents
Canadian Chaplain, the angel of the disastrous Dieppe Raid
Genius mathematician who contributed to the breaking of the Enigma code (suffered a really sad death)
Crazy bastard, possibly the biggest badass of the war
Youngest US Serviceman
Hitler's nephew and enemy
Furious Canadian battle, interesting combat techniques

I'm trying to find the story about the Japanese Super Heavy Battleship that took years to build but was sunk by an American mini-sub 3 hours out of the harbour, anybody got a link for that one?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Last edited by Zero-Hartman at Sep 19, 2009,
i'm interested too - this is why i read books...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I thought the last one got closed due to it's becoming a festering, boiling flame fest.
Ahh well. War is hell.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
yea i seem to remember one being closed,

especially with all you fascist lover's

i bet you also think Hitler did a decent job incharge of Germany
EDIT: OP that is
Quote by Jackal58
I thought the last one got closed due to it's becoming a festering, boiling flame fest.
Ahh well. War is hell.

The last thread was a Bastogne, the mod who closed it was the 3rd Army commanded by Patton.

And no ^, Hitler was an idiot.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by imthehitcher
yea i seem to remember one being closed,

especially with all you fascist lover's

i bet you also think Hitler did a decent job incharge of Germany
EDIT: OP that is

Didn't take someone to come in an act a prat did it? He said he's interested in the history and your accusing him of being a nazi.
I find the plans for the D-Day landings absolutely fascinating. The rest of the war isn't a massive fascination of mine, I tend to be more interested by the political side of it, but D-Day was quite amazing. The way they tricked the German's into thinking they were going to attack somewhere else so thoroughly that they didn't even believe the attack had hit is an incredible achievement.
^There should be no apostrophe in "Germans", cretin.

Quote by Jackal58
Ahh well. War is hell.

That's because all the limeys were refusing to accept that the USA won the war single-handedly.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Edit: ^ Read The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer and The Pianist by Wladislav Spzliman. You should see my bookcase
Quote by aaciseric
I find the plans for the D-Day landings absolutely fascinating. The rest of the war isn't a massive fascination of mine, I tend to be more interested by the political side of it, but D-Day was quite amazing. The way they tricked the German's into thinking they were going to attack somewhere else so thoroughly that they didn't even believe the attack had hit is an incredible achievement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol

Absolutely. Hitler was overcome by his egomaniac attitudes that he refused to listen to anyone during the later stages of war and that's one of th emain reasons for the collapse of the Fatherland. D-Day was incredibly risky.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Last edited by Zero-Hartman at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by JackalUK
Didn't take someone to come in an act a prat did it? He said he's interested in the history and your accusing him of being a nazi.

perhaps,
but didn't you see that peepshow episode, it's a short step between being interested in the German army and being a rascist!

Absolutely. Hitler was overcome by his egomaniac attitudes that he refused to listen to anyone during the later stages of war and that's one of th emain reasons for the collapse of the Fatherland. D-Day was incredibly risky.

bloody lucky it suceeded,
thank god the Brits stopped the German counter at Pegasus bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Bridge

also read the link to operation Tonga!
Last edited by imthehitcher at Aug 20, 2009,
I find them interesting because of all the wacky inventions they were trying to come up with in the background, super tanks, monster armoured zeppelins, a solar based space laser thing.
Quote by JackalUK
I find them interesting because of all the wacky inventions they were trying to come up with in the background, super tanks, monster armoured zeppelins, a solar based space laser thing.

yea them Germans were crazyyy

i still think the Soviets had the best wacky inventions
I love world war II

*stickies*

I'm ready to learn some facts!
And share a few of course...

Oh Finland! I'm interested in WW2 too but mostly what Finland did!
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Winter War ftw! I was reading about that today, the Finns deployed excellent tactics by targetting the head and tail of a Russian advance, sending them into chaos and the picking the rest off from the trees. And the snipers used to attack the food trolleys and those who warmed by the fire, and after the first few days the Russians had to send hundreds to the field hospitals for hypothermia and malnutrition ^^

Edit: Just remembered the name: Lt. Col. Siilasvuo
Quote by imthehitcher

bloody lucky it suceeded,
thank god the Brits stopped the German counter at Pegasus bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Bridge

also read the link to operation Tonga!

Shame the French government scrapped the bridge though

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Last edited by Zero-Hartman at Aug 20, 2009,
Yeah, the Finnish army used a kind off guerilla tactic. To shoot the first and last car in food "caravan" and then raiding the cars with skiis and the get the fook out off there :P
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Quote by Meths
^There should be no apostrophe in "Germans", cretin.

That's because all the limeys were refusing to accept that the USA won the war single-handedly.

You're a hard headed lot aren't you?

My particular fascination with WW II is with the aircraft.

Sexy beast isn't she?
I have the great fortune of being able to work on this one occasionally.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Nice Jackal, I love the P51 Mustangs.

Man, I need to get laid...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Winter War ftw! I was reading about that today, the Finns deployed excellent tactics by targetting the head and tail of a Russian advance, sending them into chaos and the picking the rest off from the trees. And the snipers used to attack the food trolleys and those who warmed by the fire, and after the first few days the Russians had to send hundreds to the field hospitals for hypothermia and malnutrition ^^

Edit: Just remembered the name: Lt. Col. Siilasvuo

Shame the French government scrapped the bridge though

perfect example of home advantage.
and how Stalin's purges had weakened the Red army by having so many inexperianced generals.

and i'm not sure the bridge is important, you should see how the look after the allied monuments to this day every night they sound the bugle for all the men that died. it is very touching
Quote by imthehitcher
perfect example of home advantage.
and how Stalin's purges had weakened the Red army by having so many inexperianced generals.

and i'm not sure the bridge is important, you should see how the look after the allied monuments to this day every night they sound the bugle for all the men that died. it is very touching

Absolutely The Soviets equipped themselves with goodwill gifts, propaganda leaflets and hardly any ammo and fuel, they thought the Finns would "Surrender at the point of a gun".

I've not read on that, good on them though. I remember going to the Menin Gate ceremony a couple years back that honoured the WWI veterans. Very touching indeed

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by aaciseric

I agree, I'm a lot more interested in the political side of things. Although I would've loved to know what went on in Adolf Hitler's mind.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Absolutely The Soviets equipped themselves with goodwill gifts, propaganda leaflets and hardly any ammo and fuel, they thought the Finns would "Surrender at the point of a gun".

Oh yes, but we gave 'em hell! And we weren't on the "wrong side"...
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by WantsLesPaul
What exactly made up the sides? Which countries were in the Allied Forces and which ones sided with Hitler?

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by Axeaman

What was Finland's diplomatic relations with Russia and Germany do you know? I remember you lot being a huge help in the siege of Leningrad

I'll read up on this thread tomorrow

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by PinoyxRockar
I agree, I'm a lot more interested in the political side of things. Although I would've loved to know what went on in Adolf Hitler's mind.

As stated before i froth off this ****....
Quote by Axeaman

And cracked.com made this guy famous(er):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

What a badass.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
it is back. ww2 is my favourite subject, especially the german army and particularly its generals. von manstein, guderian, rommel, heinrici, model... i am fascinated by them.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Jackal58
You're a hard headed lot aren't you?

My particular fascination with WW II is with the aircraft.

Sexy beast isn't she?
I have the great fortune of being able to work on this one occasionally.

Got nothing on a Supermarine Spitfire.
Well, Germany helped us. And THEN the germans started moving upwards in Finland, burning houses and churches.

So Finland weren't on anybodys side. But still we killed russians and germans.
Quote by TheChaz

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Quote by PinoyxRockar

Well if we consider that his Dad was his Mom's Uncle, and that he had already seen a major and terrible war from the frontlines. He more than likely wasn't mentally stable, because both of those things have led to mental troubles. It's a shame really, because in any other situation he would have been ignored and written off as a mad man, but in those severely desperate times he was considered a saviour, regardless of his un-wavering and irrational hatred.

Though it'd also be interesting to know what the Japanese leader at the tme (I have to confess my ignorance to towards the Japanses political situation at this point) was thinking, because they did some messed up stuff during those years.
Last edited by aaciseric at Aug 20, 2009,
There is an ongoing dispute about whether he was the one pulling the strings too as some claim that his doctors kept him doped off his face for the last few years of the war.
Quote by aaciseric
Well if we consider that his Dad was his Mom's Uncle, and that he had already seen a major and terrible war from the frontlines. He more than likely wasn't mentally stable, because both of those things have led to mental troubles. It's a shame really, because in any other situation he would have been ignored and written off as a mad man, but in those severely desperate times he was considered a saviour, regardless of his un-wavering and irrational hatred.

Though it'd also be interesting to know what the Japanese leader at the tme (I have to confess my ignorance to towards the Japanses political situation at this point) was thinking, because they did some messed up stuff during those years.

Although they did do some messed up stuff, the bomb that landed in Hiroshima was worse. I don't know much of what they did, but an atomic bomb is going too far.

EDIT: Just found out that they nicknamed the bomb "Fatman" Like the mini nuke launcher in Fallout 3.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Last edited by PinoyxRockar at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Axeaman
Well, Germany helped us. And THEN the germans started moving upwards in Finland, burning houses and churches.

So Finland weren't on anybodys side. But still we killed russians and germans.

one might wonder why sweden did not join the war and help officially. we already sent food, supplies and materiel, and over 8000 men in a volounteer force, we could as well have gone in and helped full-scale.

we have been getting alot of crap for our very flexible neutrality during the war, we let german troops use our railways and traded with them for several years. on the other hand i can understand the neutrality, and it helped massively to develop our welfare after the war. we also gave shelter to thousands of jewish refugees.

edit/ and if hitler had let his generals handle the war, instead of micromanaging it himself in later years, things would have gone differently.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Page 1 of 5