I just got the Jackson Dinky DK2M with the Jackson Licensed FR Trem. I had the whole thing set up by a guitar tech and everything is working great. I have it in standard tuning, but since the strings are new, they fall out of tune a bit (half step or less) every once in a while.

I have read the FR sticky, but didn't find anything regarding this.

As of now, I have been loosening the locking nuts and tuning via the headstock tuners. I am thinking that if it is just a slight bit out of tune, I should use the fine tuners on the trem. But when I turn them and get it in tune, it seems like they slip back to where they were and it goes out of tune slightly again right away. Almost as if the fine tuner just slips right back to teh original position.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
The tuners physically slip? or the strings tuning slips?

is everything locked firmly.? does it go out of tune right after tuning or after fooling around the whammy bar a bit?

I havent had this problem although Ive only had my Jackson (same bridge as yours I think) for about a month, and it hasnt been in for a tune up either since the tech wont be in until September.

as I havent had my Jackson for long I still am not too sure about FR bridges.
Last edited by Dookie92 at Aug 20, 2009,
Hmm... the fine tuners should stay in place... make sure that the tension of the bridge is high enough. If your bridge has weak tension (it is very wobbly and easy to move) then even adjustments with the fine tuners could cause the bridge to move and in turn, cause other strings to go out of tune.

In other words, if you are putting more tension on the bridge with the pull of the strings, and your bridge can't pull back, the your bridge will move. Try opening up the back plate and tightening the screws to your bridge a tiny bit at a time. Hopefully that will correct it.
Gear:

Fender fat strat
Ibanez s620ex1
LTD AX-2E

Marshall MG250dfx
I haven't even used the tremolo bar on it yet so that isn't an issue. Would it matter if the locking nuts are tightened or not?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
You mentioned that the strings are new. Whenever I re-string my Jackson DK2, the tuning keeps slipping until the strings are fully stretched. It takes me about a day of playing before the tuning sticks.
Is it alright to loosen the locking nut and just tune using the pegs or should I use the fine-tuners? I don't want to break any strings or anything. Some of the pegs seem harder to turn and I don't want to have to restring it already.

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
I often use the pegs to tune without loosening the locking nuts. If all I'm doing is tightening the strings, it's not always necessary. If the strings aren't fully stretched yet, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking them.
Quote by Dead By Dawn
I often use the pegs to tune without loosening the locking nuts. If all I'm doing is tightening the strings, it's not always necessary. If the strings aren't fully stretched yet, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking them.

You don't loosen the locking nut when you turn the pegs on the headstock? Wouldn't that snap the strings between the pegs and locking nut? I was under the impression you should always loosen teh locking nut before using the headstock tuning pegs.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
You probably just need to stretch your strings. Unlock at the nut, stretch the strings a couple of times, tuning to pitch between stretches. Before locking the nut again, put all the fine-tuners at slightly above half, re-tune, then lock. The fine-tuner slots would have to be stripped for them to slip, which I've never heard of happening.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.