I've been working on a new type of PAF to add to my lineup and one of the features is that it's going to be aged to look like a real PAF. I've been working on some prototypes for the aging and finally got something I'm pretty happy with but wanted to find out what you think. My goal is to get the aged and played look not the abused look so please keep that in mind as you give feedback. This is really a spare no experience job I'm doing and dissolve, oxidize, and rust anything metal. The plastic parts are scuffed, tumbled and scratched to try and look like they have gone through many adjustments over the years and been hit a lot with a pick. I then use vintage correct metal spacers and a maple spacer. To top it all off they use alnico rough cast alnico 4 magnets and a special wire that I have custom made which exactly matches the wire and insulation thickness used before 1959.

Without the cover

With the cover

being attacked by a cat

So please let me know what you think in terms of the aging. I should also point out that when I'm done prototyping these will be getting DMC covers which have the more square corners like real PAF's and the brass screws will be oxidized to match everything else making these into perfect PAF clones.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 20, 2009,
i really like the idea and they completely fooled me, I thought they were 60s humbuckers. I think any more serious aging would be over the top.

Is the cat part of your aging process?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Those look awesome to me, but:

You put a picture with a cover in the "No cover" section of your photos plz fix so I can see the Black/White top view
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Personally I think making something look old that isnt is lame.

But whatever floats your boat, you've definatly done a good job.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Not too interested in the pickups, but how much for the cat?

In all seriousness, they do look good, especially the screwdriver marks in the pole pieces.
Quote by Copaman
Those look awesome to me, but:

You put a picture with a cover in the "No cover" section of your photos plz fix so I can see the Black/White top view

Fixed the pics so they are all there now. Not sure why they are coming up in 2 different sizes though

Quote by skater dan0
i really like the idea and they completely fooled me, I thought they were 60s humbuckers. I think any more serious aging would be over the top.

Is the cat part of your aging process?

The cat is in charge of aging me by attaching all my prototypes and killing them before I have a chance to test them

Quote by supergerbil
Not too interested in the pickups, but how much for the cat?

In all seriousness, they do look good, especially the screwdriver marks in the pole pieces.

Thanks. It's hard not to make this stuff look fake and it's the little things like screwdriver Marks that I think makes it believable. I just worry that what I think is "believable" is believable to others.

Here is a pic of another cover I've done. I didn't age this one as much so there is still some of the nickel plating on the cover which is what causes the lines and the dark ring around the outside. I've noticed that most old guitars have a bit more plating on the bridge than the neck so my plan was to use a cover like in the 1st set of pics for the neck and something like this in the bridge.

Love the kitty.

The covered ones look brilliant. Nice aged colour, as well as no shine.
Without the covers, they definitely look used, but I'm not quite sure if they look like they're from the pre-70's. I feel like it needs a bit of discolouration or something, not too sure.

Otherwise, it looks brilliant!
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Love the kitty.

The covered ones look brilliant. Nice aged colour, as well as no shine.
Without the covers, they definitely look used, but I'm not quite sure if they look like they're from the pre-70's. I feel like it needs a bit of discolouration or something, not too sure.

Otherwise, it looks brilliant!

Yeah, still haven't found something I'm compleatly happy with for colouring the plastic. Part of the problem is that I'm using ABS plastic rather than butyrate. Butyrate has a slightly different colour to it but butyrate doesn't improve sound and there are a lot of durability issues with it (warps, cracks, breaks, melts very at low temps and wears down quickly) so I opt not to use it. That is going to make the plastic colouring even harder.
I like how you've made the wear look directional, as if it could have been caused by string rash and general rough playing. A lot of relic jobs are a bit too general, with a ton of wear over the entire cover.
for a relic, they actuly look good...

im not a fan of "relic'd" guitars, however "relic" guitars are cool.
(ie, if you have hat it for a week, and make it look 20 years old, as against a real, used 20 year old guitar...

ohh and just wondering, seeing as you make custom pickups, are you able to make pickups for a 8 string?

i would like to build one sooner or later, and i dont want to go for emgs...

and it would be made for metal, but rich, full cleans would be nice...
tha being said i want a passive pup not no active emg!
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
PM him your request, broha, to keep the thread on topic

As for the bridge cover, that sounds about right to me... I sure as hell do more strumming and picking up by the neck pup and not nearly that much by the bridge.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
I dig it. I like how you added the string rash effect.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I guess I'll be the odd one here. I don't like them. To me, the idea of relicing is ... meh.
I'd much prefer a soft nickel finish and skip all the distressing.
w/e.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.