I am looking to swap the active EMG pups out of my Epi LP and go for something that is more along the lines of what I will now be playing on it which is Neil Young, Tom Petty, Blues Traveler, some AC/DC, etc.

I am looking to get into a group that plays that type of music rather than the drop D, Drop C tunings I am used to and I want to dedicate this guitar to that. EMGs won't cut it for the sound I am going for.

I still have the stock pups sitting in a box from when I had the EMG Zakk Wylde set put in about a year ago.

What pickups would you guys recommend for that type of genre?

Also, I play through a Blackheart Little Giant and a Boss ME-70.

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
maybe some alnico II magnet pickups?
Gear:

Fender fat strat
Ibanez s620ex1
LTD AX-2E

Marshall MG250dfx
Duncan JB in the bridge and 59 (or Jazz) in the neck. With those two, you can pretty much play anything.
Gear:
LTD M-207 (Soon to be modded)
B.C. Rich Bronze Mockingbird
Jay TurSuhr Vintage Strat
Takamine EG561C
Randall RG50TC

GAS:
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Tribal Green
Which JB for the bridge? I am looking on Ebay and on the Duncan site and there seems to be more than one JB pup. Are you talking about the SH-4 and SH-1?

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Last edited by Rio38 at Aug 20, 2009,
Sh-4 = Jb
Sh-1 = 59

I think the stock epi pups would suit that stuff just fine
I'm gonna say the JB-59' combo also they'll do what you want but if you still want to play metal with your epi they can handle the gain.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I wouldn't recommend the JB/Jazz combo because those are pickups that sound alright for a lot of stuff, but not great for anything. That's why they come stock in a lot of guitars. If you know what kind of sound you're looking for, there are much better options out there. If you put a JB against another pickup for a particular genre, the other pickup will almost always sound better. The JB just sounds good for a lot of stuff, but it won't blow you away with anything. They're good if you're going for versatility, but it doesn't seem like you're looking for that.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Aug 20, 2009,
+1

Enough with blindly recommending the JB, it's not what he wants.

TS, for that kind of stuff a pair of Duncan Pearly Gates will do the trick.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pearly Gates, huh? I've heard good things about them also. A bit pricey though.

I do want versatility, but right now, I mainly need the sound of the bands I mentioned.

I do have a Jackson Dinky with Duncan Designed PUPS in it that I use for this type of music right now, but I thought there may be better out there.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
OK, I think I figured out which ones to get but it is going to cost too much right now to get the 3 pups I would need.

I think I'll survive with my "Duncan Designed" for a few months and then make the upgrade.

Thanks everyone.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Last edited by Rio38 at Aug 25, 2009,
Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded set. It's heavy enough to play hard rock but bright enough to play jazz.