Hi
Sorry if this is in the wrong place im new on here ,
I can do barre chords , power chords , hammer ons , pull offs , normal chords , practicly the basics ,
could anyone advise me on what i should be learning next ,
im self taught so i need some new techniques to work on .
thanks.
I'd say you best bet is to practice the tchniques you already know,cuz i bet they need work
How is your alternate picking?
What songs can you play?
How much theory do you know?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
right i can play songs with basic chords ( green day ) ,
the only problems i am having is hammering on with my pinkie ,
could you explain what theory and alternate picking is ,
that sounded noob but i am not that good :S
Music theory is difficult to explain, it's intervals etc.

Alt (alternate) picking is picking up and then down which you develop to tremolo picking and also need to know for economy (sp?) picking

Hope this helps
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
i can pick up and down but not very fast , i cant move my fingers and pick fast either , so i cant do solo's
Same
Try doing solos you like but start slower building up speed and when you can play it clean at certain speed play it faster and continue until you can play it at the correct speed
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Learn the major, minor, blues, and pentatonic scales and work on alternate picking.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by bradb1993
right i can play songs with basic chords ( green day ) ,
the only problems i am having is hammering on with my pinkie ,
could you explain what theory and alternate picking is ,
that sounded noob but i am not that good :S

Think of theory as the rules that holds music together, such as the laws of physics keeps the universe together. Music theory comprises of mainly intervals, notes, dynamics, and tempo. Intervals determine scales, chords, and modes, all of which are vital to know in guitar. Notes are C, D, E, etc. They define which scale is which (C major or A minor? type of thing), dynamics is volume, and tempo is time.

That is a very VERY VERY summarised version. It does not even begin to capture the idea of what music theory is, and the information is vague. Theory takes ages to learn, its taken me ten years and I still don't know everything. Its very very important to understand though.

Alternate picking is, as said earlier, the motion of picking up and down, thus 'alternating' between upstrokes and downstrokes. This is also very crucial, as it is used for fast licks, economy picking, and to alter the tone of your notes.

Hope this helps, and isn't too much of a confusing rant. :p
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Hi,
Thankyou very much that was very easy to understand ,
i am practicing alternate picking and then im going to go onto the other types picking ( economy , maybe tremolo ) .
Start learning the notes on your fretboard. Most players only know the frets rather than the notes apart from a few strings on which power chords are played. At least, most rock and metal guitarists.(Amateurs or mediocre guitarists at least) Also, continue to work on what you already know. Start getting your rhythm down. Get out a metronome. If you don't have one go to http://advanced.bestmetronome.com It may be tough to figure out how to be versitile with it at first which is why you need to be sure of what your note durations are. Whole, half, quarter, eigth, 16th, 32nd. Your triplets, other tuplets, etc. Just start doing some scales with quarter notes. Then do 2 notes per beat (Saying you are just doing a simple 4/4 time) which would make eigth notes. Don't double pick your notes though. Just go straight on through.

If you don't understand that stuff, then definitely read up on theory. A good website is http://musictheory.net

Get that stuff down, start working on understanding intervals. Get more familiar with the notes on the guitar, continue using a metronome, and try out some more advanced techniques as in tapping and sweeping. Get to practicing on your string skipping. And learn your modes. If you don't understand the notes, the scales and the intervals, you will NOT understand modes. So make sure you have basic theory down. And always be reading advice, watching instructional videos, etc.

This isn't too long, so do read all of that.