Page 1 of 6
I know a good portion of us weren't alive for this but anyhoo...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090820/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_lockerbie

I think the American responses are ridiculous to be honest. He's got a terminal disease and he's mentally ill, it doesn't matter at ALL where he spends his last days. Everything isn't about revenge, I believe it was Gandhi who said it best with "An eye for an eye, soon the whole world is blind".

Anyways, your thoughts? Opinions?
Quote by Cat Of Pain
Bob, you're my hero.

Quote by borntorock2112
If drugs were PP points, I'd be using struggle.

Quote by illuminatiano

YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Gandhi was racist, mang. Also, I have a mental illness and am terminally ill and also blew up 7 buildings with people inside. ARIIIBAAAA!
(they should have killed him long before he had the opportunity to be terminally ill)
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
It's the right decision. Sorry Americans, I understand the anger but there's no point. He was under Scottish Jurisdiction anyway.
Quote by Ulalume
(they should have killed him long before he had the opportunity to be terminally ill)

GTFO. The UK does not have the death penalty. Except I believe for high treason.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Aug 20, 2009,
The whole thing is incredibly shifty. No proper explanation was given for why he did it, no connection to any groups, nothing. He very well could be a scapegoat for the government.

No wonder they want him out of the country; they want their hands clean.
Call me Batman.
Why would you let this sick fvck free?!?!?!?! It doesn't matter whether he has a paper cut let alone a mental illness. He killed over 200 people with the intention to do it, and NO ONE should ever be given freedom for killling. I don't care if he is mentally ill, and that he may not have known what he was doing, but he still commited the action and he is still at large for doing something.

Let him rot in a cell where he belongs.
Bingo.

And what exactly would that achieve? He's dead in 3 months.
Call me Batman.
Quote by blynd_snyper
It's the right decision. Sorry Americans, I understand the anger but there's no point. He was under Scottish Jurisdiction anyway.

GTFO. The UK does not have the death penalty. Except I believe for high treason.

The UK doesn't have the death penalty FULL STOP

The only reason they are letting him go is because of the oil we get from them probably
Damn a lot of people died.
I heard about this on the radio this morning.
Quote by vintageblackbli
Why would you let this sick fvck free?!?!?!?! It doesn't matter whether he has a paper cut let alone a mental illness. He killed over 200 people with the intention to do it, and NO ONE should ever be given freedom for killling. I don't care if he is mentally ill, and that he may not have known what he was doing, but he still commited the action and he is still at large for doing something.

Let him rot in a cell where he belongs.

Why the hell should tax payers in the UK waste money to keep him fed, clothed and housed in the UK? (This isn't my main argument, just one I think you'd understand). Absolutely nothing is to gain from keeping him in the UK and if he can be shown some compassion before his death why not? Holding him will not bring back the dead.

I'm not even going to mention the suspicion around his actual conviction, nor the fact that he's mentall ill. Just further reasons for his deportation.

Quote by JackalUK
The UK doesn't have the death penalty FULL STOP

YET_ANOTHER_EDIT: Nope, you're right. It was abolished in 98.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Aug 20, 2009,
I'm undecided on this one.

Practically speaking, he has only a few months to live, which means that he is likely to be very weak and in a lot of pain. If they thought he was capable of hurting anyone else, he wouldn't have been released.

I just think that there is not enough compassion in the world. Everyone is so concerned with exacting vengeance on one another, using the concept of justice as a springboard for yet more hatred and venom. He has terminal cancer, so people who believe in God or whatever might feel that justice is already being done. I can understand the American reaction completely, but they always stamp their feet over stuff other countries do. Give it a rest, jeez.

Also it says in the article that his case was reviewed a couple of years ago and they found grounds for an appeal. Some people think it wasn't him at all.
Quote by magnus_maximus
We have it for Piracy and High treason. Death by hanging.

No we don't
Quote by magnus_maximus
We have it for Piracy and High treason. Death by hanging.
In Scotland?

Because wikipedia says that in the UK,

"The penalty for treason was changed from death to a maximum of imprisonment for life in 1998 under the Crime And Disorder Act. [8] Before 1998, the death penalty was mandatory, subject to the royal prerogative of mercy. Since the abolition of the death penalty for murder in 1965 an execution for treason was unlikely to be carried out."
terminal illnesses are debilitating, painful and extremely demoralising. imagine yourself slowly wasting away in front of your own eyes and unable to to the most basic human tasks.

I think he should be let free, maybe shows that the scottish government is different from terrorists by being compassionate
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Quote by J.A.M
The whole thing is incredibly shifty. No proper explanation was given for why he did it, no connection to any groups, nothing. He very well could be a scapegoat for the government.

If you want to say they got the wrong guy, okay. But the moment you play the government conspiracy card, you get a cat with a foil hat.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by J.A.M

Exactly this.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
I live very close to Lockerbie, pass through it on the way to football every week. Big news round about here, but it was before my time. All the locals believe he had absolutely nothing to do with it and was a scapegoat. it's the Americans who blame him.
RULE BRITANNIA
I think the Americans condemning him for "showing no compassion" to the victims should therefore show a little themselves. Stupid ****ing hypocrites.

This is meant to be justice, not old testament retribution!
Quote by Pagan-Pie
This is meant to be justice, not old testament retribution!
That's what I'm talking about. Justice and revenge seem to be synonymous. I just don't see how this is helping to progress our society.
Quote by rigiddigits
That's what I'm talking about. Justice and revenge seem to be synonymous. I just don't see how this is helping to progress our society.

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread.

Which side are you on; the smart people or the pitchfork-wielding villagers yelling "an eye for an eye!"?
Quote by Pagan-Pie
I'm too lazy to read the whole thread.

Which side are you on; the smart people or the pitchfork-wielding villagers yelling "an eye for an eye!"?
Definitely not the latter.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Eh?

I suspect the 'surprise' is that the Yanks wanted someone to go down for this, and don;t give a crap if it was the guy who did it or not.
Quote by MightyAl
I suspect the 'surprise' is that the Yanks wanted someone to go down for this, and don;t give a crap if it was the guy who did it or not.

Ah right, I thought it was a dig at me

I don't know where I stand on this, to be fair I don't know much about it. Everyone I know say the man has nowt to do with it but as long as someone's getting the blame the Americans are happy.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by blackthought
At least we don't eat fucking haggis.

That's because you're pussies.
Quote by blackthought
At least we don't eat fucking haggis.

Was that meant to be an insult?

"At least our flag doesn't have stars on it!"
RULE BRITANNIA
@ blackthought

Also, i'd like to point out that it's more of an insult to send him home, showing compassion towards a compassionless man may make him regret what he did and haunt him even more.

Although, i'd still like to see him rot a little. He looks like a loon.
He's served his sentence in my opinion. The fact that the US government is trying to bully the scottish (not UK, mind you) government into keeping him here I find pretty insulting to be honest. Who the fuck does Hilary Clinton et al think they are? We're not America's bitch, and if i'd have had any doubts over letting him go, then this would have just made me decide to do it anyway

Quote by magnus_maximus
Also; GTFO bitter Americans. He was under our jurasdiction and we aren't going to bend over for you.

Sums up what I think
Last edited by Matt-92 at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by severed-metal
@ blackthought

Also, i'd like to point out that it's more of an insult to send him home, showing compassion towards a compassionless man may make him regret what he did and haunt him even more.

Although, i'd still like to see him rot a little. He looks like a loon.

You'd look kinda pissed if you'd been locked up for something you didn't do. Especially in Greenock.
Quote by 3rdWardSoldier
"An eye for an eye, soon the whole world is blind".

We would have deserved it then.
hold on what's with the response by most people? the man's conviction was dubious at best anyway
Quote by imthehitcher
hold on what's with the response by most people? the man's conviction was dubious at best anyway

Well, if the Americans fit you up for something, by jimminy, you'd better stay fitted up for it, or Uncle Sam will... I dunno, send Billary to piss you off.
Quote by MightyAl
You'd look kinda pissed if you'd been locked up for something you didn't do. Especially in Greenock.

Kinda, if he was a real crazy, he'd be smiling in that picture. Although, you're right...i'd be pissed. I'd shrug it off and work out a lot, considering my flabby abs cannot hold up to my ass.

HEY! Magnus, was that a shot at canadians? because, you may be scottish...but i'm part scottish.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind...you said oak..we're maple.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You can't outswear, outfight or out shout a Scotsman.

EDIT: You can if you'rE English

Edited because I hate when people do what i did
Last edited by Matt-92 at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Matt-92
You can if your English

No, then you can out-bowler-hat us. And have tiffin in our general direction. Perhaps with crumpets.
Quote by Matt-92
You can if your English

You just opened it.............
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006