Can someone give me a basic explenation of scales. i.e. How they work & how they're constructed as well as how different scales are different
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Well i think you may be better reading the lessons on this Site. Preferably the Crusade Articles, all of them. Either that or get a book on it.

But ill give you what i know and say this; The Major scale is the scale that is the most important in all music. Every other scale is derived from this, ie; To have a a minor scale you have a formula to put to the major scale to give you the minor scale notes.

Major scale formula.

1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7.

Each scale is derived from this like i said. So for different scale you will have different formulas.
scales are a pattern of intervals. That means a scale is defined by the gaps (number of semitones) between each note.

the major scale follows this pattern (where w=whole tone or 2 semitones h = half tone or 1 semintone)
WWHWWWH
for an A major scale on the A string this would mean frets 0 2 4 5 7 9 11 12

the natural minor scale goes like this
WHWWHWW
for an A minor scale on the A string this would mean 0 2 3 5 7 8 10 12

to understand them more easily play the scale ascending up a single string and you will be able to see the pattern of intervals.

also for now stick to minor and major - don't trouble yourself with any more till you understand these
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by steeLmonkeyz

Major scale formula.

1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7.

Each scale is derived from this like i said. So for different scale you will have different formulas.

that is NOT the major scale formula, by what yuo said yourself "the major scale is what everything is derived from" so the major scale is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, which isn't very helpful to a beginner since it doesn't show the intervals at all or how it is constructed

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
So, it's all based on whole or half step changes as you move up a scale and each different scale has different patterns?
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
put simply yes.

however it's more about the notes relation to the root than the note before it. for example the reason a major chord sounds major is because of the 4 semitone gap between the root and 3rd which is typical of the major scale.

Also yes different scales have different patterns though sometimes scales have more than one name but the same pattern. Also there are some scales which have steps bigger than just whole and half steps, e.g. the pentatonic has steps of 3 semitones at a time. That's more than you need to know for now though

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more

Can you reccomend some scales from brutal death or black/death metal?
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Quote by doive
that is NOT the major scale formula, by what yuo said yourself "the major scale is what everything is derived from" so the major scale is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, which isn't very helpful to a beginner since it doesn't show the intervals at all or how it is constructed

Major scale = W W H W W W H?

Sorry, its still a little bit confusing to me as you can see. Like i said at the start of my post, it would be best to get a book or check out the crusade articles. Shame im no good at following my own advice huh?
Quote by Wretched_Spawn

the minor scale would probably be used a lot, but it really isn't to do with the scales you use, or even the melodies, rather the WAY you play it. sure chromatics, b5's and b2's will get used 'more' but they get used in jazz too.

for example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1D7Fw_JTgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6W-h5j3jM

same scales, chords and melody (ish) but totally different feel

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Wretched_Spawn

There is no one scale for this, unfortunately. Most metal (including black and death) is based on the minor scale, and certain out-of-scale notes are used, some more than others, that contribute a lot to the metal sound. Like doive said, the most important part of metal is how you play the notes, not which notes you choose.
^ +1

it's a style thing. The scales are a relevant factor, but only 1 of many.
shred is gaudy music