Hey guys,

I want to start recording the acoustic songs that i have written and the mic i have at the moment it ****e.

Have any of you had any experience with decent acoustic recording mic before and would be able to reccomend a certain make/model?

Im looking to spend less than £100 the cheaper the better, although not so cheap that its poor quality.

Ill be recording an acoustic guitar (maybe some electric fills etc) shakers, bongos, harmonica some other percussion (but not a full drum kit or anything like that)

It would also be helpfull if the mic was good enough so that if and when i start a proper electric band ill be able to record some listenable home demos with it, but hey.

I dont need it to sound professional or anything, just good enough to be able to listen to all the way through and enjoy without getting pissed off by **** quality.

Any help is appriciated, cheers .
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
sounds like you're looking for a condenser, but i wish you the best of luck finding one below £100.
If I were to reccommend, I'd say go for a Shure SM57 or similar like the Sennheiser 441.
Im not a boff on mics. so thats about all I can give you without research
i recording something the other day and put it on here with an acoustic to see if it would work and it sounded better than a cell phone atleast (could try that on)....

if you have a digital camera ....

and it has voice record.....

use that and google a file converter and change it to mp3 and you should be good to go :-)

try voice record on a cell phone if all else fails.....
sm57 ftw
My Gear

Schecter C-1 Plus (Seymour Duncan JB bridge, Seymour Duncan '59 neck)

Bugera 333XL 212 Combo

MXR Carbon Copy
MXR ZW-45 Overdrive
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
Well, first, the question is: do you have a recording interface?
Quote by Sguit
Well, first, the question is: do you have a recording interface?

+1, you wont be able to even use the microphone without an Audio Interface of some sort, and if you decide on a condensor you will then need one with phantom power, or an external phantom power supply.
well i use the snowball mic. it sounds nice for solo work like acoustics and stuff, but i have not been too successful in recording a whole band set-up. you plug it right into your usb port and it is compatible with audacity, so its a nice mic for solo acoustics, and can be decent to make band demo tracks, plus its mad cheap
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Cheers for the replys.

The whole band situation is definatly less important than the recording stuff.

I just have that crappy Audacity thing that I use to record, as I don't have the money to buy a proper programme, blah blah. But atleast it works.

I cant imagine a cell phone being good enough and i doubt a digital camera would be either, but I dont really know about mics. I realise that you can get stupidly expensive mics that will produce pro recordings, but i dont need it to be that good and i can't afford it.

Is £100 really not enough for a decent mic?

I shall check out the Shure SM57 and the Senheiser 441, cheers.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Cheers for the replys.

The whole band situation is definatly less important than the recording stuff.

I just have that crappy Audacity thing that I use to record, as I don't have the money to buy a proper programme, blah blah. But atleast it works.

I cant imagine a cell phone being good enough and i doubt a digital camera would be either, but I dont really know about mics. I realise that you can get stupidly expensive mics that will produce pro recordings, but i dont need it to be that good and i can't afford it.

Is £100 really not enough for a decent mic?

I shall check out the Shure SM57 and the Senheiser 441, cheers.

If you don't have an interface, a mic will be completly useless, you need one if you want to be able to plug the mic to your computer, wish is why I asked if you had one.
if ya got a camera go ahead and give a try

it's free and you might be surprised at quality

the whole band would suck ya but if a single person go 4 it

:-)
If you want to look at an affordable condenser look at the MXL 990. (google it) it's affordable, very high quality for the price, I have been using one for years. Other than that I would recommend an SM57 dynamic.

(But ya like a guy said, you need an audio interface to plug it in, and it can sometimes be a pain in the ass to set up; take a look at usb mics, you can get really high quality ones now a days, but I have no experience with them.)
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Aug 21, 2009,
Yeah Audacity is an interface I already said that i had one.

I do have a mic at the moment which i can plug into the computer and use through audacity, I just want to upgrade the quality of the mic.

Cheers for the advice guys, Ill check out those condensors.
Quote by FuzzLove
Yeah Audacity is an interface I already said that i had one.

I do have a mic at the moment which i can plug into the computer and use through audacity, I just want to upgrade the quality of the mic.

Cheers for the advice guys, Ill check out those condensors.

Unless you have a proper interface (hardware interface) such as USB or Firewire, don't get a mic because that's more important. You can get a cheap interface and a decent mic say a SM57 or Audix i5 for not much more than £100.
Audcity is not an audio interface.

Also, i wouldn't get a condenser, especially if you're doing mostly guitar work. A shure sm57 is simple and works well for everything, a condenser can sometimes not be simple and only works well for specific things.

EDIT, for acoustic? Perhaps then, if you can supply phantom power. I'd suggest a SE electronics se2200 is good.
Last edited by vitchb at Aug 22, 2009,