I always see people arguing over which Metallica bassist is the best, when Ellefson is (in my opinion) better than all of them.

I mean, look what he's got going for him:

-Awesome bass riffs
-Awesome sense of harmony
-Awesome tone
-Extremely tight articulation

I think he is incredibly underrated. What about you?
As much as I like (well, rather, am abit of a fanboy of) Dave Ellefston, I'd say that out of him & James LoMenzo, I prefer LoMenzo, I saw him play live with Megadeth & he was swapping between playin with a pick for the Ellefston songs & playing finger style with his own basslines & he pulled off all of the older material flawlessly, but I also loved his playing on the newer material & I think he has great tone too.

But yes, I do think that Ellefson is an underated metal bass player
I agree that he is underrated, but not better than all of Metallica's bassists. Maybe Rob, but we haven't heard enough from him yet to be unbiased on that. However I think Rob's and Jason's tones are/were awesome (excluding Jason's harsh AJFA picking), while Cliff's was a wee bit too trebly. I think all four of them write some snazzy riffs though.
I wish LoMenzo was more audible in the mix, it is hard to make out what he's playing most of the time.
Quote by edgeyyz
I agree that he is underrated, but not better than all of Metallica's bassists. Maybe Rob, but we haven't heard enough from him yet to be unbiased on that. However I think Rob's and Jason's tones are/were awesome (excluding Jason's harsh AJFA picking), while Cliff's was a wee bit too trebly. I think all four of them write some snazzy riffs though.

No, Look at Infectious grooves shizzle when he was in the band. (Rob)
Quote by Lollage123
No, Look at Infectious grooves shizzle when he was in the band. (Rob)

I have heard that stuff before, but that's more funk than metal. I'd like to hear him as a metal bassist more before we could decide on how he is compared to the other 3.
Ellefson rocks, I really dig his tone on "Almost Honest" and "Dread and the fugitive mind". Of course it's also good on the classics, but those 2 I just mentioned.. Man that's how a bass should sound!
Baaaaaaazz
He is a fantastic pickstyle player. I love his tone, his bass riffs: so articulate as TS said.

I really like his Rust In Peace tone and quite like the Modulus tone on Youthanasia.
signature
Quote by Solus_Luna
I always see people arguing over which Metallica bassist is the best, when Ellefson is (in my opinion) better than all of them.

I mean, look what he's got going for him:

-Awesome bass riffs
-Awesome sense of harmony
-Awesome tone
-Extremely tight articulation

I think he is incredibly underrated. What about you?

I'm learning Rust in peace now ^_^ And yeah, even tho I am not the biggest fan of Megadeth, especially due to lame vocals, but bass is way better and more fun than in Metallica.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Rust in Peace is my favourite Megadeth album.
All the work on it is amazing for bass. The title track is probably my favourite.

In relation to Metallica's bass players, I'd pick him any day, even though I was a bit of a Burton fanboy. Ellefson is tighter, period.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I think Ellefson's real plus point is his tone. Seriously, in my opinion he has THE Thrash Metal tone with its obvious clank and boom. He also had some of the most fantastic lines in my opinion, many more memorbale ones than Metallica (who I dont dislike, don't get me wrong). My personal favourites being ''Five Magics'' and, as cliche as it is ''Symphony of Destruction''.

On the topic of Metallica. I have to say that Rob would easily be my favourite of their bassists. He has raw talent and charisma, surpassing that of Cliff and definitely Jason in my opinion.
Quote by edgeyyz

Rob is the most skilled of Metallica's bassists. Jason was my favourite, but Rob is definitely their most proficient and capable bassist. To say that Dave is only better than Rob, but then not the others makes me question your opinion a great deal. Dave Ellefson surpasses both Cliff and Jason in terms of tone, proficiency, and creativity.

EDIT: Jason Newsted got me playing bass and is one of my favourite bassists ever, but even I'll admit that Ellefson is better than him(Jason is still sick though)
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Aug 20, 2009,
Yes! He is very under rated! Look at My Last Words or Bad Omen. Fantastic bass work. And he is a huge influence on myself. No doubt a great bassist.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by NakedBassist
Rob is the most skilled of Metallica's bassists. Jason was my favourite, but Rob is definitely their most proficient and capable bassist. To say that Dave is only better than Rob, but then not the others makes me question your opinion a great deal. Dave Ellefson surpasses both Cliff and Jason in terms of tone, proficiency, and creativity.

EDIT: Jason Newsted got me playing bass and is one of my favourite bassists ever, but even I'll admit that Ellefson is better than him(Jason is still sick though)

Well, to me it seems that Jason could have done much more but was held back, Cliff could have done much more but died, and Rob just hasn't been in the band long enough to compare to the other two well enough, but I agree that Ellefson surpasses Cliff and Jason in tone, but not Rob. I completely understand where you're coming from though.
Ellefson is awesome. Him and Jason are my favorite. Its hard for me to pick between them. His bass solo live before Train of Consequences is amazing.
He's great, I love him. Horribly underrated too. LoMenzo's pretty good though. I'm a fan of both.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

He is a great bassist, probably one of my favourite (I have lots) but I seriously don't like Peace Sells anymore.. Overated, not the best bassline he's written/played by far.
Quote by LeperMessiah_
Rust in Peace is my favourite Megadeth album.
All the work on it is amazing for bass. The title track is probably my favourite.

In relation to Metallica's bass players, I'd pick him any day, even though I was a bit of a Burton fanboy. Ellefson is tighter, period.

Often RIP is the "best" Megadeth's album.
Why?
1.-Rust in Peace
2.-Tornado of souls
3.-Holy wars... The punishment due
4.-Hangar 18
5.-Take No Pirosner
6.-Poison was the cure
etc
You understood, The title track is my favourie too...
I 'd pick burton ONLY because he plays with finger and I like more to playe with fingers, but Ellefson is one of my favourites bass players, too bad that he left Megadeth,but there's nothing that we can do...
Quote by Solus_Luna
I wish LoMenzo was more audible in the mix, it is hard to make out what he's playing most of the time.

This, for Megadeth in general.
Ellefson is the man. 'Nuff said.

On the metallica topic, Rob was/is their most proficient bassist, Cliff was the most creative, and Jason had the best stage presence and the most sheer attitude. They were all good in their own way, IMO.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Why is everyone going on about Metallica's bassists? This thread is about Megadeth.

On topic, i agree with Ellefson's tone being the best thrash tone, it sits in the mix perfectly.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Megadeth just isn't the same without junior.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Quote by Phil Collins
Megadeth just isn't the same without junior.

Correct!

I'll always remember LoMenzo as the White Lion bassist with hairspray and curly hair....

As far as Megadeth, the bass was always more important for the song compared to Metallica. So any comparison is somewhat unfair.... Rob is, of course, for his suicidal and infectious work, one of the greats, funk, metal, whatever.... He's great! Period.

Everyone into metal and such should play Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction, both brilliant albums....
But then again, every bassist should play the "Art of Rebellion" and "Lights, Camera... Revolution"

After that play the "mother's Milk" Album from the RHCP and your done!

But David Ellefson is a good guy, in a GOOD band for a bassist....
Dave Ellefson is a god. He had some of the most downright catchy basslines and at the same time it was technical as ****. I don't know why everyone thinks so highly of Cliff Burton who was just a lead guitarist that got drunk and picked up the wrong instrument, because he's **** compared to junior.
--Gear--

Dawn Patrol on Rust in Piece. 'Nuff said methinks.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
For me anything up until RIP is just wicked.
I'm a finger player, and his lines are hard.
Respect for the dude.
Apparently he talked with Mustaine a week or so ag and said quitting the band was the stupidest thing he'd ever done. Maybe he'll find a way back in?
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Quote by LeperMessiah_
For me anything up until RIP is just wicked.
I'm a finger player, and his lines are hard.
Respect for the dude.
Apparently he talked with Mustaine a week or so ag and said quitting the band was the stupidest thing he'd ever done. Maybe he'll find a way back in?

I thought Dave had kicked him out?
--Gear--

Ellefson is tight as hell. Very good player. However, Rob Trujillo has better chops and Cliff Burton was a better composer and writer BY A MILE. Remind me, how many songwriting credits does ellefson have on those songs you're raving about? Apart from Dawn Patrol, he has no writing credit for any of the songs in this thread. Whereas Burton, although his tone was shonky, was a brilliant writer. Look at the big tunes he wrote or has a co credit for. Fade to Black, Creeping Death, Master of Puppets, Orion, Call of Ktulu, Fight Fire with Fire just to name a few.

Ellefson was a better bass player than Jason, especially tone wise. However Metallica have always been better performers in terms of stage presence than Megadeth and Jason was the reason for that. Rob blows all of these 3 away in terms of ability though.
^ Ability isn't everything, it's the groove, which Ellefson has in buckets. Not to say Rob is bad, but as part of Metallica he earns a great big yawn from me. Bland lines that are inaudible to me. Cliche though it is to say it, he was far more interesting in Infectious Grooves.