Page 1 of 2
Im contemplating going to guitarcenter tonight and trading in my Ampeg VH140C for a SpiderValve..

Heres the reason why... Spider Valve Head $449 - 10% of the difference from $800 on top of 15% off the total for trading something in. Hmmmmm or even better I go for the 212 combo then I'm getting two vintage 30's for a couple bucks as well as the amp

I'm thinking this might cure my hum issue since the Ampeg is the one causing the issue in the first place and I can run them in stereo since I heard the Spider Valve is pretty quite.

Any comments?

Edit

Ok the MASTER PLAN.. Since I know this is going to cause a stir lol..

Trade the ampeg for the spidervalve.. Mess around with it and see if I have the same issue as before. Also this will give me time to think about what I want to do with the 6505+. My thoughts and plan on the matter is get the spidervalve because I can have something to tinker with. Then trade the 6505+ for a Randall RM4 unit. Then use the spidervalve as a poweramp for the RM4. Then Sell the Spidervalve or trade it up for a good power amp. I would rather have two tube power sections on hand then a tube and a SS in case I do get ahold of a RM4. I dont want to sell the 6505 and have a RM4 running through and SS power amp until I can get a true power amp.

That should clarify a few things.. before the super flame war starts.. Sorry I should have mentioned the whole plan up front..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Im contemplating going to guitarcenter tonight and trading in my Ampeg VH140C for a SpiderValve..

Heres the reason why... Spider Valve Head $449 - 10% of the difference from $800 on top of 15% off the total for trading something in. Hmmmmm or even better I go for the 212 combo then I'm getting two vintage 30's for a couple bucks as well as the amp

I'm thinking this might cure my hum issue since the Ampeg is the one causing the issue in the first place and I can run them in stereo since I heard the Spider Valve is pretty quite.

Any comments?

I'm hoping this is a joke. You have been preaching VH140C gospel forever, now you want to trade it in... For a Spider? I know it is a Spider Valve, but still...

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
...how are you going to run them in stereo if you trade one in?
Also, unless you use a ton of gain and high output pickups you should be able to dial out the hum on that amp.
Screw the Spider and just get a Vetta.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by tubetime86
I'm hoping this is a joke. You have been preaching VH140C gospel forever, now you want to trade it in... For a Spider? I know it is a Spider Valve, but still...

I love the amp to death but the noise is killing me. I have been tried pretty much everything. Different noise gates, different furman, different positions and so on. When both are on I get super hum and some feedback. So half the time I dont want to go in there and play if im going to be playing a vast amount of things. Plus the pedal dance is getting annoying.

Quote by Roc8995
...how are you going to run them in stereo if you trade one in?
Also, unless you use a ton of gain and high output pickups you should be able to dial out the hum on that amp.

The spider valve will be run in stereo if choose too..

The amp isnt shield well is my guess because i get hum regardless of the situation when both are turned on. When one is off the other is fine, when both are on hum from hell. That coupled with I dont have noise gate that can cover both amps and dont want to drop the $500 on a Pro Rack G. Ampeg feedbacks a slight amount as well when in stereo so it mess's me up since my noise gate is only on the 6505+ for obvious reasons.

Running emgs and the ampeg doesnt get hit with a ton of gain but the peavey does get a good blast of front in level.

Also edited first post to give out the master plan..
You're probably getting hum because they're on the same outlet, you can get a good power conditioner with isolated outlets for less than $200. If that's the problem a new amp won't help.
Quote by Roc8995
You're probably getting hum because they're on the same outlet, you can get a good power conditioner with isolated outlets for less than $200. If that's the problem a new amp won't help.

I've ran them on different outlets. Have ran two power conditioners at once one per amp and even upgraded to a better Furman. Nothing works..

But yet I could stick 3 amps stacked one atop each other daisychaining inputs and on the same outlet in a closet and only got the slightest hum.

Its the amp man, i've wasted way way to much time trying to get this setup to work properly together..

Quote by CullenT
Screw the Spider and just get a Vetta.

I want a tube power section.. Already thought about..

I'm not big of a fan of the spider valve believe me.. But for $350 bucks getting 2 vintage 30's and a bogner power amp. Its worth it to me..
OK, just put it on 'Insane' and do lots of squealies.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
OK, just put it on 'Insane' and do lots of squealies.

That facepalm will go away when im running a RM4 with a modded XTC module through the bogner power amp section on that thing
Quote by IbanezPsycho
That facepalm will go away when im running a RM4 with a modded XTC module through the bogner power amp section on that thing

Ya, I know you have a plan. I just couldn't have any amp with an 'Insane' channel in my house. The whole layout of those Spiders just scream 'TOY!!' to me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Ya, I know you have a plan. I just couldn't have any amp with an 'Insane' channel in my house. The whole layout of those Spiders just scream 'TOY!!' to me.

Ehh I trust line 6 stuff and if its backed by bogner then im cool with it. And I can always marker over INSANE lol

Also forgot to mention...
I might just pick up a Crate gx130c

Edit: Lol well im just ruining my NAD aint I
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Ehh I trust line 6 stuff and if its backed by bogner then im cool with it. And I can always marker over INSANE lol

I'm still not convinced this isn't a NAD for an Uberschall.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I'm still not convinced this isn't a NAD for an Uberschall.

I did find one in TN with a metal front upgrade for $1700

But you can rest assured its not a Uber day.. But it will be a my broke a$$ cant afford a full bogner so I gotta get the back a$$ of one by getting a spidervalve day
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Ha, I'm plannin on grabbin a gx130c head this weekend. They have it up for $200, but I'm just gonna haggle that price down.

But after missing out on that Music Man HD 130 head and 4x10 cab for $100, I'm really starting to get pissed off at CL.

Looks like you have a plan. Can't wait to see your threads with all the new **** you're planning to get.
Quote by MetalHead916
Ha, I'm plannin on grabbin a gx130c head this weekend. They have it up for $200, but I'm just gonna haggle that price down.

But after missing out on that Music Man HD 130 head and 4x10 cab for $100, I'm really starting to get pissed off at CL.

Looks like you have a plan. Can't wait to see your threads with all the new **** you're planning to get.

$100 bucks and mint condition for me

Quote by IbanezPsycho
$100 bucks and mint condition for me

Oh Damn nice deal!!!!

I just wished I copped that music man. Nothing like starting a new thread with "Check out my all tube half stack for $100"

Seems GX-130c's pop up on my CL all the time. I saw one for $80 back in the day, but didn't have the money to grab it.

Unfortunately no vh-140c's ever popup.
Quote by MetalHead916
Oh Damn nice deal!!!!

I just wished I copped that music man. Nothing like starting a new thread with "Check out my all tube half stack for $100"

Seems GX-130c's pop up on my CL all the time. I saw one for $80 back in the day, but didn't have the money to grab it.

Unfortunately no vh-140c's ever popup.

Yup that would have been pretty nice...

Yea I see them pop up alot more then the vh's theres like 3 gx's I can choose from for example right now.

I had to get my vh140c from utah if I remember correctly. Shipping was insane but oh well its what I wanted..
I think you are overcomplicating things. Hum can be fixed with an ISP decimator, no trade ins/elaborate plans required.

If you want bogner brutalness sell your current gear and save up for the real deal.

Spider valve + RM4 =/= Real bogner quality.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I think you are overcomplicating things. Hum can be fixed with an ISP decimator, no trade ins/elaborate plans required.

If you want bogner brutalness sell your current gear and save up for the real deal.

Spider valve + RM4 =/= Real bogner quality.

Two amps with hum and feedback + isp decimator =/= solve the problem
Two amps with hum and feedback + $500 pro rack g with stereo mod = Expensive Bandaid
Two amps with little hum and little feed back = me

Dont have $1800 laying around nor will I for 3 years. Then factor in if I wait that long and save that much I just as soon wait another 3 years to come up with 2k more and get the herbert. So for 6 years im looking at a rig I cant stand playing nor want to play because of the noise issue. Thats like telling somone that owns a spider to sit on it for 6 years then get rid of it. Plus im impatient and enjoy playing with all different types of gear and coming up with my own thing. So I dont mind honestly

I get your points and honestly would stand by them if I could. Its just not logical for me to sit around for years waiting for the day I can afford a uberschall or herbert.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup that would have been pretty nice...

Yea I see them pop up alot more then the vh's theres like 3 gx's I can choose from for example right now.

I had to get my vh140c from utah if I remember correctly. Shipping was insane but oh well its what I wanted..

Yeah, it's crazy how frequently those amps pop up.

Yeah, shipping is a bitch with amps, cabs, and what not.

I've only gone out of state once to get a piece of gear. And it was the next state over, Nevada. I was on 2 hours of sleep and still had the smell of rum on my breath and took the long ass drive down there.

Almost crashed twice and my bottle of sailor jerry's was in the trunk so that busted and soaked into the carpet. At least I got my jappy axe, but the spilled liquor was a complete fail
Quote by MetalHead916
Yeah, it's crazy how frequently those amps pop up.

Yeah, shipping is a bitch with amps, cabs, and what not.

I've only gone out of state once to get a piece of gear. And it was the next state over, Nevada. I was on 2 hours of sleep and still had the smell of rum on my breath and took the long ass drive down there.

Almost crashed twice and my bottle of sailor jerry's was in the trunk so that busted and soaked into the carpet. At least I got my jappy axe, but the spilled liquor was a complete fail

Yup especially a 2x12 combo...

Sounds like a hell of a road trip man.. Used to do a few of those back in the day for fun..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Two amps with hum and feedback + $500 pro rack g with stereo mod = Expensive Bandaid

Dont have $1800 laying around nor will I for 3 years. Then factor in if I wait that long and save that much I just as soon wait another 3 years to come up with 2k more and get the herbert. So for 6 years im looking at a rig I cant stand playing nor want to play because of the noise issue. Thats like telling somone that owns a spider to sit on it for 6 years then get rid of it. Plus im impatient and enjoy playing with all different types of gear and coming up with my own thing. So I dont mind honestly

I get your points and honestly would stand by them if I could. Its just not logical for me to sit around for years waiting for the day I can afford a uberschall or herbert.

well I didn't think it would take you years. I think the real problem here though is you have a bad case of GAS. I think you'll go ahead and do it regardless of what anybody will say. When I get GAS hell could freeze over and I'd still run my ass down to the store.

Maybe trade up the 6505 for an RM4 and the ampeg for a decent poweramp (not the spider valve)?
WTLTL 2011
Not trying to be a dick, but what are you gaining by running two amps? I understand if your running stereo FX, but if its just to get the tone you want then you may what to get rid of the 6505+ and just get a 6505 with a bias mod and call it good, I swear the 6505+ have been castrated in comparison to the 6505.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
Not trying to be a dick, but what are you gaining by running two amps? I understand if your running stereo FX, but if its just to get the tone you want then you may what to get rid of the 6505+ and just get a 6505 with a bias mod and call it good, I swear the 6505+ have been castrated in comparison to the 6505.

Well there is always the thrill of blending two amps (flavors) to create something new and enticing (strawberry + banana goodness).
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Mark G

Maybe trade up the 6505 for an RM4 and the ampeg for a decent poweramp (not the spider valve)?

This is a good idea, Peavey Classic 50/50 power amps are cheap as dirt and are very reliable, good enough to last you untill you find something better, or have a bigger budget. I think you could trade your grear and have darn near enough to by the RM4 now, as long as you go used, and get a cheaper power amp, hell you may be able to get a new RM4, their only $629. You may not be able to fill it up with modules but you could get a couple, and get more as time goes on.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Two amps with hum and feedback + 2 isp decimators. 2 will cost $260 (they're $130 each I believe,) half the price of the pro rack g.

A lot of the time, really great tones will always be ridiculously noisy. That's why we have noise gates.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by Mark G
well I didn't think it would take you years. I think the real problem here though is you have a bad case of GAS. I think you'll go ahead and do it regardless of what anybody will say. When I get GAS hell could freeze over and I'd still run my ass down to the store.

Rack gear is hard to come by where im at its almost non existant unless it pops up someplace. Much like the RM4 im going check out tonight. This will be the first time I have laid my eyes on one. Hell the only other tube preamp I have ever seen in a shop is well there isnt one lol the RM4 will be the first..

Power amps also are hard to come by used. Sooooooo im doing what I can do make it work for my situtation. I have been over this in my head and searching local stores and haunts for months now. Only thing that pops up is SS power amps since there is a big DJ scene here. And I have played with using amps heads as power amps in the past so it was just a easy route for me to take.

And you are right on the gas lol

Plus im not loosing anything i'll be in the exact same boat but ill have a ampeg clone instead that might not be as noisy and a spider valve to toy with.

Quote by Johnbryant

You ever try to play blues, jazz or clean stuff on a 6505+

I use the ampeg for my cleans and rock stuff and the 6505+ for my br00talz. Now that said I do combo the two together from time to time for uber br00talz.

I need amp that I can have the option to have both turned on at the same time and play cleans on one and dirty on the other. Or the grand scheme is an amp that does both.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Rack gear is hard to come by where im at its almost non existant unless it pops up someplace. Much like the RM4 im going check out tonight. This will be the first time I have laid my eyes on one. Hell the only other tube preamp I have ever seen in a shop is well there isnt one lol the RM4 will be the first..

Power amps also are hard to come by used. Sooooooo im doing what I can do make it work for my situtation. I have been over this in my head and searching local stores and haunts for months now. Only thing that pops up is SS power amps since there is a big DJ scene here. And I have played with using amps heads as power amps in the past so it was just a easy route for me to take.

And you are right on the gas lol

Plus im not loosing anything i'll be in the exact same boat but ill have a ampeg clone instead that might not be as noisy and a spider valve to toy with.

You ever try to play blues, jazz or clean stuff on a 6505+

I use the ampeg for my cleans and rock stuff and the 6505+ for my br00talz. Now that said I do combo the two together from time to time for uber br00talz.

I need amp that I can have the option to have both turned on at the same time and play cleans on one and dirty on the other. Or the grand scheme is an amp that does both.

Damn, your scene sucks! I actually have a lot of rack gear around, walked into a store with marshall jmp-1 preamp and peavey 50/50, mesa 90/90, Kittyhawk and Marshall 9292/jc800 poweramps last week.

How about internet ordering? an ENGL e530 will cover everything from cleans to metal, and it a peavey 50/50 would already work alright. Total cost would be about 800. Works wonders, if you like the ENGL sound.

Just throwing ideas out there Honestly, the spider valve isn't bad but it just doesn't tickle me. Not a bad trade...
WTLTL 2011
Smart move dude....I completely support your decision.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Mark G
Damn, your scene sucks! I actually have a lot of rack gear around, walked into a store with marshall jmp-1 preamp and peavey 50/50, mesa 90/90, Kittyhawk and Marshall 9292/jc800 poweramps last week.

How about internet ordering? an ENGL e530 will cover everything from cleans to metal, and it a peavey 50/50 would already work alright. Total cost would be about 800. Works wonders, if you like the ENGL sound.

Just throwing ideas out there Honestly, the spider valve isn't bad but it just doesn't tickle me. Not a bad trade...

Pretty much every store in a 100 mile radius will not even buy guitar rack gear. You get the odd ball piece that made its way in sure but thats about it. And then by the time you get there its gone. And the one store that does buy it in I have had a 100% rate of return, something is always wrong with it.

Have looked at the engl and peavey setup muliple times but im an up-trader so unless I get super lucky then its out of my range.

And here is the background on why I dont buy stuff straight out. I married and making a lump sum purchase of $800+ is not possible lol. The bank books wont allow it nor will the wife allow it. Now me getting something for say $200 then trading it for something worth $300 then getting something else for $200 and trading it for something worth $300. Then i trade both items for something worth $800. Thats how I get past the money and wife issue. My situtation is not that unique theres alot of up-traders and broke folk out there. lol

So I understand the ends the outs and what I should and shouldnt do. Remember im far from a noob. But for whatever reason unless you mention Mesa, Engl, Diezel or so on your automatically classified as one. Now I see what others go through around here. But I also know yall know me so its gonna be ten times worse

And just for sh!ts and giggles..

Here is a little test/challenge for yall... Find me 2 used options for a tube power amp around me..
The goal is $450 or less in a 100 mile radius but honestly if you can find me two even if they are out of my price range I still might consider not buying the spidervalve. You have 1 and a half hours.

The games a foot Zip 75057 and good luck
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Pretty much every store in a 100 mile radius will not even buy guitar rack gear. You get the odd ball piece that made its way in sure but thats about it. And then by the time you get there its gone. And the one store that does buy it in I have had a 100% rate of return, something is always wrong with it.

Have looked at the engl and peavey setup muliple times but im an up-trader so unless I get super lucky then its out of my range.

And here is the background on why I dont buy stuff straight out. I married and making a lump sum purchase of $800+ is not possible lol. The bank books wont allow it nor will the wife allow it. Now me getting something for say $200 then trading it for something worth $300 then getting something else for $200 and trading it for something worth $300. Then i trade both items for something worth $800. Thats how I get past the money and wife issue. My situtation is not that unique theres alot of up-traders and broke folk out there. lol

So I understand the ends the outs and what I should and shouldnt do. Remember im far from a noob. But for whatever reason unless you mention Mesa, Engl, Diezel or so on your automatically classified as one. Now I see what others go through around here. But I also know yall know me so its gonna be ten times worse

And just for sh!ts and giggles..

Here is a little test/challenge for yall... Find me 2 used options for a tube power amp around me..
The goal is $450 or less in a 100 mile radius but honestly if you can find me two even if they are out of my price range I still might consider not buying the spidervalve. You have 1 and a half hours.

The games a foot Zip 75057 and good luck

Like I said just throwing ideas out there. I know you're not a n00b. I'll see what I can find
WTLTL 2011
eBay showed a whopping 0 results for 100 miles within that zip code. I searched "tube power amp"

Man, you weren't kidding. There ain't ****
Quote by Mark G
Like I said just throwing ideas out there. I know you're not a n00b. I'll see what I can find

Well I feel like one

And I know you are man, I posted this and said post your comments for a reason I was looking for a healthy beefy talk me out of this debate just to make sure this is really what I want to do. I cant fully grasp the concept unless someone tells me not to do it and I have to think of and post why I actually want to do it. Its better this route then me saying NAD and getting responses this way I get all the negative what the hell are you thinking comments to go over and make my decission.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/1290163665.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/1326944965.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/msg/1316893093.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/1298029955.html

Copypasta on the fly, gotta check if they have 1/4 outputs and your cab can handle them.

Quote by dudey5691
You should try the Bogner power amp in the spider out with another preamp before you buy it. It may not be the best for the price

That being said, I've google'd, CL'd, ebay'd, and jaxed'd poweramps in texas, and I found six... all of which were SS.

nothing wrong with SS as long as it has sufficient wattage. Seriously, it'll be an improvement over his old ampeg anyway. I've tried preamps with SS poweramps, including PA and SS poweramps and it sounded fine.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/1290163665.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/1326944965.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/msg/1316893093.html

nothing wrong with SS as long as it has sufficient wattage. Seriously, it'll be an improvement over his old ampeg anyway. I've tried preamps with SS poweramps, including PA and SS poweramps and it sounded fine.

I wasnt to found of tube to SS honestly. I have tested it out a few times.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I wasnt to found of tube to SS honestly. I have tested it out a few times.

Damn...I was impressed when I tried a JMP-1 with a rocktron velocity (in one of those ads for sale).

I'll see if I can find a tube one
WTLTL 2011
Really? When I had a VH140C, there was very little noise even with the gain near 10. I honestly thought it was one of the lowest noise amps I've ever played. Sure it isn't the 6505?
Quote by Mark G
Damn...I was impressed when I tried a JMP-1 with a rocktron velocity (in one of those ads for sale).

I'll see if I can find a tube one

Could be the whole dark amp thing

My buddy currently is running dual JMP-1's into a Marshall tube power amp and it sounds amazing but not my thing.

So far I have ran my Valveking, Ultra and 6505+ pres all through different SS power sources and wasnt to found of it.

But I think you get my point as far as guitar rack gear its almost none existent where im located..

Quote by BeethovensBust
Really? When I had a VH140C, there was very little noise even with the gain near 10. I honestly thought it was one of the lowest noise amps I've ever played. Sure it isn't the 6505?

Both are the culprit.. When I have both of them on they feed off each other and the noise output goes up ten fold. Other then the 6505+ being a feedback machine its pretty quite on hum. So the issue is I run my cleans on the vh140c and the bulk of my gain on the 6505+. Switching from clean to dirty I have to have both amps on thus the problem...
Page 1 of 2