How do you play in the kind of style of bands like,Poison the well,bury your dead,emmure,parkway drive and beneath the sky.I need to know the kind of melodic style of riffing and breakdowns.If enyone could be kind enough to tell me how to do this it would be a great help.And dont just say practice,I practice every day and im in a band I just need the formula and I can take it from there.
chorus, verse, breakdown, breakdown to the breakdown, then back to chorus, then end with the slowest most exaggerated breakdown you can come up with
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
try and find some tabs here for songs that u like, and then modulate the riffs to ur liking. eventually u will be able to write the kind of riffs u want.
Quote by srob7001
chorus, verse, breakdown, breakdown to the breakdown, then back to chorus, then end with the slowest most exaggerated breakdown you can come up with

:rofl:

Honestly bro, you listen to the music obviously?

its not that hard to figure out, hell look at a tab.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Just come up with some of the easiest riffs you can, put them behind one another.
then tune you're guitar as low as you can.
open C on lowest 3 strings, usually followed by a G and A chord, with staccotted twiddles between sometimes, follow the song structure above.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
un-necessary, hard to hear arpeggios, then a breakdown. then a breakdown. the a breakdown. then call yourself creative for using random pauses badly. then a breakdown.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
fast random **** intro, breakdown, verse, chorus, breakdown, interlude, breakdown, chorus, outro

prepare to be nobody in a few years if you want to start gigging
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
haha wow well while i don't completely disagree with with the afformentioned posters here that just about all metalcore is very generic and kinda rediculous theres still stuff you can do. Honestly check out some other metal bands. Darkest Hour is rediculous imo and kris norris can effing shred. Or check out some more progressive bands i.e. Dream Theatre, Opeth, BTBAM etc. Check out some of this stuff and build up a foundation and then you can style your own riffs any way youd like. But mostly you just need to get a nice foundation to expand on and don't close your mind to diferent ideas and genres. Hope this helped and happy shredding
seriously, you should learn to play better metal........ hell, those arent good bands even by metalcore's standards! besides which, you should try and learn how to play music like a certain band. learn to create your own style, incorporate ideas, but dont stick to a formula where everything you write has to sound like parkway drive.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Apparently.. no one here knows what metalcore is..

Listen to the music and then talk ****..

You might want to add a lot of arpeggios in your songs.. a lot of sweeps.. study the music of your favorite bands..i recommend you "For Today".. check them out
Last edited by IHeartMyCrybaby at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by zincabopataurio
wow some people here are pretty ignorant

you've only just joined. believe me this is on the low key side of ignorance for ultimate guitar.
Musical Intervals Would be Fifths, Tritones, And Diminished intervals, With the Natural Minor scale, Although The Harmonic and Melodic can be used of course. Basically, Try to make it as Bright, yet as heavy as possible.
breakdowns, heavy fast aggressive riffs, melodies thats would the basics of metalcore
then shredding solos, usually melodic
Look up August Burns Red if you don't know who they are already.

All of their songs sound pretty much the same, however, all of those same sounding songs are pretty amazing sounding. They really stand out from other metalcore bands in my opinion.

One thing that'll really start you off doing metalcoreish stuff is using the minor modes: Dorian, Phrygian, and Aeolian. Hit the lowest string a few times, and then start ascending the scale.

EXAMPLE:

E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A--------5-------8-------7------12-------10-------10h12p10p8------------------------------------
D--000----000----000---000-----000-----000-----------------------------------------------------

Just a generic, metalcore style riff, in... D Dorian... or E Phrygian.

But really, try to stand out. This kind of thing is pretty much what BFMV does ALL the time, and it gets repeatative hearing this same kind of thing over and over.
Last edited by TatarSalad2 at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by TatarSalad2
Look up August Burns Red if you don't know who they are already.

All of their songs sound pretty much the same, however, all of those same sounding songs are pretty amazing sounding. They really stand out from other metalcore bands in my opinion.

One thing that'll really start you off doing metalcoreish stuff is using the minor modes: Dorian, Phrygian, and Aeolian. Hit the lowest string a few times, and then start ascending the scale.

EXAMPLE:

E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A--------5-------8-------7------12-------10-------10h12p10p8------------------------------------
D--000----000----000---000-----000-----000-----------------------------------------------------

Just a generic, metalcore style riff, in... D Dorian... or E Phrygian.

But really, try to stand out. This kind of thing is pretty much what BFMV does ALL the time, and it gets repeatative hearing this same kind of thing over and over.

That's because BFMV is mainstream and gay (no offense) and ABR doesn't sound the same anymore look their new CD Constellations is AMAZING..

to ts.. i would recommend you to study some CDs such as Portraits, Ekklesia, Messengers & Constellations
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
That's because BFMV is mainstream and gay (no offense) and ABR doesn't sound the same anymore look their new CD Constellations is AMAZING..

to ts.. i would recommend you to study some CDs such as Portraits, Ekklesia, Messengers & Constellations

Yeah, they kind of sold out on Scream Aim Fire.

And yes, Constellations is a lot different from their previous stuff. No more breakdowns in 6/4 on every song.
Quote by FreeManson15
you've only just joined. believe me this is on the low key side of ignorance for ultimate guitar.

youd think being a guitar website, people would be more musically inclined.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Its hard to help him when all he ask is about metalcore which to me doesn't exist. You play metal or you play hardcore, there is no inbetween. To many people have different views of what a genre of music is.

So if you want to sound like this band or that band, listen to them and write things that are similar. Simple as that. There is no secret formula to writing a metalcore song or a death metal song or a thrash metal song. You just write what you feel like playing and if it ends up not being metal core then oh well, you still wrote a song thats been in your head.

Don't let music genre labels dictate the music you write, write what you feel, even if it is some pop crap. It is at least YOUR pop crap.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
metalcore in its most simplistic would be, as i lay dying a very listenable band good song architecture etc,

on the more melodic side of things, for the fallen dreams has fantastic structure and riffs, they play in a flat and have some heavy bd's.

i think parkway drive are a great example of a good metalcore band, their riffs are simple, but good formulation and resolution makes them quite pleasing, and a cut above the rest.

metalcore doesnt really have a mould, just a few basic concepts( all of which can be varied limitlessly) dont get bogged down in what makes metalcore,

theres my 2 cents
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Apparently.. no one here knows what metalcore is..

Listen to the music and then talk ****..

You might want to add a lot of arpeggios in your songs.. a lot of sweeps.. study the music of your favorite bands..i recommend you "For Today".. check them out

Great band man. Sure they're "metalcore", but they got some creativity for being such a young band.
Learn tons of metalcore riffs. Then you'll start making your own

simple as pie
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found