Hi there,

I very recently bought a Mesa Rectoverb on a tight budget (got it for $800 from GC) and am now out of money and stuck with two crappy guitars. I'm using an Epiphone Standard Les Paul and a Squier Stratocaster, I never use the Strat much, and with the Les Paul, the sound quality is just bad, compared to alot of guitars I've played on. I really need a guitar that can bring out the Mesa sound, so I'm contemplating trading in my Les Paul, Strat, and Line 6 Spider III 30 watt for a single guitar, at a pawn shop or Guitar Center. Which leads me to two questions: A) How much can I get for that combination? B) What guitar should I purchase?
The lead guitarist in my band may lend me about $175, but that may not be for sure. Any ideas on what I could get? I'm really hoping to be able to get an ESP LTD MH-250, but if there are any others, be my guest and let me know.

Thanks!
EvilAngel

P.S. yeah, I know, my guitars are too crappy to play on a Mesa with them, but hey, I'm only 16 and it took my job earnings from the summer to pay for the amp
175 plus strat (100-135) plus spider III 30 watt (130-150) plus les paul for like 300 gets you somewhere between like 700 and 750
Last edited by the420guitarist at Aug 20, 2009,
you will probably get 1/4 of what they sell for new. sell them on craigslist, it might take longer but you will get more money.
sell your stuff on craigslist. guitar center will always rob you. i tried to sell my $400 warlock there and they were like we can give you between 50 and 100.
Ouch....yeah, I'm thinking about Craigslist or a pawn shop, I'll keep in mind the bit about GC. Pretty much all the guitars named would suit my style (Alice in Chains/old Metallica/alt-metal stuff/metalcore). They're in decent condition, well, all except the Strat, I broke the whammy bar off of it and part of it is still stuck inside....cheap piece of ****. Any thoughts on how to fix that?
Quote by EvilAngel93
Ouch....yeah, I'm thinking about Craigslist or a pawn shop, I'll keep in mind the bit about GC. Pretty much all the guitars named would suit my style (Alice in Chains/old Metallica/alt-metal stuff/metalcore). They're in decent condition, well, all except the Strat, I broke the whammy bar off of it and part of it is still stuck inside....cheap piece of ****. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

wow i was just reading about some guy that had that same problem in one of my old guitar world problems. the guy that answered him said you can either try and screw the whammy bar out or take off the entire whammy bar system and replace it,but i doubt its worth that much money. why not just try and take a pair of pliers and unscrew the part that's stuck?
Well, I would, but....it's stuck pretty deep in there *smiles sheepishly* like, beyond the hole. I dunno what to do, I've tried using a drillbit to make it crumble, but that failed. I've been told to get something thin, stick it in with some crazy glue on the end, wait until it sticks, and then twist it out. Either way, I don't want to have to replace it, I'd lose money
divide the total amount by 4 then times it by 3.. this works ... IN THEORY .. havent put it to the test
Upgrade the Les Paul's humbuckers.
Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
kakos: Thanks, I'll try that

xBOPx: The problem with the Les Paul is it doesn't really suit my style anymore....I need something more versatile. Something I won't feel weird thrashing to Damage Inc with, while still keeping to the sludgy riffs of Alice in Chains, and still able to push forward with the technicality of Trivium or All That Remains. I don't want to upgrade the pickups because it's not worth it....
Hey kakos, where did you get that theory? I'm just curious, because if it works, then I should be able to get about $550
Quote by xBOPx
Upgrade the Les Paul's humbuckers.

I would advise against this. I upgraded my Epi Les Pauls pickups, and when I tried to sell it GC would not consider taking it and basically nobody on Craigslist would take it without the original pickups put back in.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by EvilAngel93
kakos: Thanks, I'll try that

xBOPx: The problem with the Les Paul is it doesn't really suit my style anymore....I need something more versatile. Something I won't feel weird thrashing to Damage Inc with, while still keeping to the sludgy riffs of Alice in Chains, and still able to push forward with the technicality of Trivium or All That Remains. I don't want to upgrade the pickups because it's not worth it....

Uhhhh Metallica and Trivium have been known to use Les Pauls
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
haha epi les pauls arent bad guitars at all. a ton of metal bads use les pauls because of their deep and rich tone. Oh and if you want to replace the pickups go for it. you could probably sell your line 6 and squier and with a little more cash if you can borrow it get some sd's or emg's if thats your thing. Hell if you got a bit more cash you could get some fantastic bare knuckle pickups from the uk shipped which are probably the clearest high quality metal pickups i know of lol.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/
Quote by EvilAngel93
Hey kakos, where did you get that theory? I'm just curious, because if it works, then I should be able to get about $550

dunno just came to my head like POW and there was the thought
Quote by loafy1991
haha epi les pauls arent bad guitars at all. a ton of metal bads use les pauls because of their deep and rich tone. Oh and if you want to replace the pickups go for it. you could probably sell your line 6 and squier and with a little more cash if you can borrow it get some sd's or emg's if thats your thing. Hell if you got a bit more cash you could get some fantastic bare knuckle pickups from the uk shipped which are probably the clearest high quality metal pickups i know of lol.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

Well, not all are bad....just the one I own I don't doubt that alot of metal bands use them, just, it's not really for me anymore. Love the shape, and everything about it, but ever since I got it fixed it hasn't sounded the same. It's like the pickups have lessened in quality; the finger taps used to sound amazing on it, but then the input jack wiring got messed up, Guitar Center "fixed" it, and since then, the treble pickup has barely enough punch and grind like it used to, and the rhythm one is waaaaaayyyy too sludgy. I dunno. I'll try to get it fixed before I sell it though, but I have no clue what's up with it. Plus, another reason for getting a new guitar is just so I can test diff. guitars and explore.
Quote by kakos
divide the total amount by 4 then times it by 3.. this works ... IN THEORY .. havent put it to the test

That's just multiplying by 3/4. You'd be really lucky to get that much out of any gear unless it's boutique or vintage. I tried selling my Les Paul when I needed money and I couldn't sell it for $1700 and decided I wouldn't sell it caus it was practically brand new.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
That's just multiplying by 3/4. You'd be really lucky to get that much out of any gear unless it's boutique or vintage. I tried selling my Les Paul when I needed money and I couldn't sell it for $1700 and decided I wouldn't sell it caus it was practically brand new.

well i did say in theory duhhh...
I'd change the pickups on the epi and get it set up.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by kakos
well i did say in theory duhhh...

Haha. It doesn't really matter. Good luck to you TS, typically the longer you're willing to wait the more you can get from the.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs