People have been saying a good bolt-on neck will give as much sustain as any set or neck-thru necks. Those bolt-on can only be found on really high quality guitars which cost over a grand. So, what exactly make them better than the "regular" bolt-on? Is it the contact surface or is it the quality of the screw holes? Maybe they do some special treatment to the neck pocket area on higher range guitars?

I opened up one Encore:ish guitar and didn't find the neck joint to be so bad. Still the guitar sucks sustain like there's no tomorrow. I know the body and neck wood also play a big role in this but still...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

They're crafted better, there is more wood on wood contact, no wiggling, no paint.

Perry Ormsby does a test on his guitars, where he'll put the neck in the pocket, and is practically able to lift the guitar by the neck (Without glue or bolts holding the neck in place). The friction caused by the wood being so close to the other wood (Hope that makes sense) keeps the neck from falling out.

That's a good neck.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
idk, i get pretty good sustain out of my guitar and it's a $300 bolt-on.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
idk, i get pretty good sustain out of my guitar and it's a $300 bolt-on.

Perhaps you just think its good sustain....maybe?
The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish.
Other parts of the guitar change the amount of sustain also. The angle from the nut to the tuner is also important. The high the angle the more sustain. This is a big reason why gibson has such a high angle. Now why doesn't fender? Fender uses a trem system on most of the guitars, and because of this they want to decrease the angle to keep the guitar more intune. BUt if you notice they do increase the angle on the b and e string to help sustain.
Quote by Baby Joel
They're crafted better, there is more wood on wood contact, no wiggling, no paint.

Perry Ormsby does a test on his guitars, where he'll put the neck in the pocket, and is practically able to lift the guitar by the neck (Without glue or bolts holding the neck in place). The friction caused by the wood being so close to the other wood (Hope that makes sense) keeps the neck from falling out.

That's a good neck.

i could do that with my guitar. When i took off the neck to see if it was legit i had to pratically wrench it off.
Quote by Baby Joel

That's a good neck.

Guess that what the guitar i was taking apart guitar lack. The neck just falls off without the bolts.

Anybody know how well Warmoth body and neck fit into each other?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by joey arce
Other parts of the guitar change the amount of sustain also. The angle from the nut to the tuner is also important. The high the angle the more sustain. This is a big reason why gibson has such a high angle. Now why doesn't fender? Fender uses a trem system on most of the guitars, and because of this they want to decrease the angle to keep the guitar more intune. BUt if you notice they do increase the angle on the b and e string to help sustain.

No, I'm pretty sure it's because it was cheaper and easier to make. That's what Leo Fender was all about: making the best guitars for the least cost to him.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by joey arce

It's not so much about being in tune as it is about action.

As for what makes a good bolt-on: strength which comes from a tight fit.
Tightness, that's all their is to it as far as bolt-ons and sustain/tone go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.