Page 1 of 2
They've just released the trailer for James Cameron's AVATAR, which has taken him years and years to make and is supposedly going to revolutionize the way we use CGI in movies or something like that.

Cameron even declared today "Avatar Day" in order to unveil his trailer to the world. The hype for this movie is immense in certain circles.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

Has anyone heard of this before, and what are your opinions on the trailer?

P.S: This has nothing to do with the Nickelodeon TV show.
Never heard of it. It looks....interesting. Althought they could've avoided the cliche kiss..
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I watched the trailer ... and tbh .... that looks so f*cking awesome
Quote by TheQuailman
So I was sneaking up on that girl with that rag and some chloroform...

Quote by Oh Shize
Tell her to get back in the kitchen.

SAVE GIBSON
Join the Avatar Day celebrations in Times Square, featuring appearances from theguitarist, FrenchyFungus, confusius and myself.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Samdroid
They've just released the trailer for James Cameron's AVATAR, which has taken him years and years to make and is supposedly going to revolutionize the way we use CGI in movies or something like that.

Cameron even declared today "Avatar Day" in order to unveil his trailer to the world. The hype for this movie is immense in certain circles.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

Has anyone heard of this before, and what are your opinions on the trailer?

P.S: This has nothing to do with the Nickelodeon TV show.

speaking of avatars, I like your Soup Nazi avatar
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
Meh. The visuals looked really pretty, but I have no idea what it's about from watching the trailer so I have a feeling it's going to fail to match up with the hype, which i've also heard nothing about.
its free to watch ^-^
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
The Last Airbender FTW.

I know this has nothing to do with it.

I'd watch it if only my theater had an IMAX would be so much better.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

That looks pretty bitchin'. I'm gunna watch the **** out of that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Hergiswi
I have absolutely no interest in seeing this.
This.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I didn't really see what's groundbreaking about it...

And it reminds me of WoW...which is really gay.

I think Cameron should go revive the Terminator series and redeem some dignity from 3 and 4.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Looks nice but I have a feeling that's the only positive attribute.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
so..there's a movie coming out called Avatar, which has nothing to do with the cartoon? And there's also a movie coming out called The Last Airbender, which is about the Avatar cartoon?

wow.

Oh, and I'm expecting interspecies sexiness.
Quote by technicolour
And there's also a movie coming out called The Last Airbender, which is about the Avatar cartoon?

I thought that was what he was talking about at first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk

I never even watched that show, but the movie looks pretty cool. Better than the one that TS posted.
Premise:

The story’s protagonist, Jake Sully, is a former Marine who was wounded and paralyzed from the waist down in combat on Earth. Jake is selected to participate in the Avatar program, which will give him a healthy body. Jake travels to Pandora, a lush rainforest-covered extraterrestrial moon filled with incredible life forms – some beautiful, many terrifying. Pandora is also home to the Na’vi, a sentient humanoid race that humans consider primitive, but are actually more evolutionarily advanced than humans. Standing ten feet tall, with tails and sparkling blue skin, the Na’vi live in harmony with their unspoiled world. As humans encroach deeper into Pandora's forests in search of valuable minerals, the Na’vi unleash their formidable warrior abilities to defend their threatened existence.

Jake has unwittingly been recruited to become part of this encroachment. Since humans are unable to breathe the air on Pandora, they have created genetically-bred human-Na’vi hybrids known as Avatars. The Avatars are living, breathing bodies that are controlled by a human 'driver' through a technology that links the driver’s mind to their Avatar body. On Pandora, through his Avatar body, Jake can be whole once again. Sent deep into Pandora's jungles as a scout for the soldiers that will follow, Jake encounters many of Pandora beauties and dangers. There he meets a young Na’vi female, Neytiri, whose beauty is matched by her ferocity in battle.

Over time, Jake integrates himself into Neytiri's clan, and begins to fall in love with her. As a result, Jake finds himself caught between the military-industrial forces of Earth, and the Na’vi – forcing him to choose sides in an epic battle that will decide the fate of an entire world.
What! I thought this was going to be about a movie about the TV show!

Actaully I thought this was about avatars... so... mine's a pencil.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
What! I thought this was going to be about a movie about the TV show!

Actaully I thought this was about avatars... so... mine's a pencil.

I posted a link to the trailer for the movie that IS about the tv show.
The CGI looks bad. It looks like a cartoon. To this day, the best CGI I've seen has been the T-Rex in Jurassic Park, and that came out 17 years ago. These stupid elves have got nothing on that. I might see this movie if the reviews mention that it has a great plot, but right now, I don't want to.

French Trailer for those of you who can't get the Mac one to work:

http://specials.divertissements.fr.msn.com/cinema/avatar/default.aspx
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
Last edited by Mockstairwell at Aug 20, 2009,
Remember the last time he tried to make a movie?

...Yeah.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
The movie looks like nothing special, just another Sci-Fi that uses a lot of CG for the characters. I don't see how it's supposed to be "revolutionizing", though it is on Apple's website, so you know they're gonna try to sell everyone on something.
Anyone who says the special effects in this are "nothing special" are fkn morons. I saw the world premiere preview of it tonight, (my friend won tickets), and HOLY SHIT! It was beautiful to watch. The 3D aspect of it is done in a way that is not at all gimmicky, and serves to make it seem like ultra-high definition. It feels like you are literally there. The new technology is going to give a whole new dimension to film. I'm excited to see the full movie, and I can't wait to see how other people apply it in movies to come.

I'm not easily impressed, and very rarely does something leave me awed, but what I saw of this movie stunned me.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
OMGOMGOMGOMG AVATAR!!! *watches trailer*
Oh! Fvckdammit it's not Avatar the last Airbender/ legend of aang.
*watches trailer and actually pays attention*
This looks pretty darn cool.
I am still not happy though
Anyone who says the special effects in this are "nothing special" are fkn morons. I saw the world premiere preview of it tonight, (my friend won tickets), and HOLY SHIT! It was beautiful to watch. The 3D aspect of it is done in a way that is not at all gimmicky, and serves to make it seem like ultra-high definition. It feels like you are literally there. The new technology is going to give a whole new dimension to film. I'm excited to see the full movie, and I can't wait to see how other people apply it in movies to come.

I'm not easily impressed, and very rarely does something leave me awed, but what I saw of this movie stunned me.
Well we saw the trailer and it looks like the star wars movies.
Quote by Kensai
Well we saw the trailer and it looks like the star wars movies.

Yeah, probably.

I saw it in an IMAX cinema, with 3D glasses... so, I'm sure it looks a hell of a lot different.

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Quote by Snowblind 911
Yeah, probably.

I saw it in an IMAX cinema, with 3D glasses... so, I'm sure it looks a hell of a lot different.

Do those 3d-glasses work well now-a-days? I remember watching jurassic park with 3d-glasses when I was 10 or so. The goggles... they do nothing!
Quote by Kensai
Do those 3d-glasses work well now-a-days? I remember watching jurassic park with 3d-glasses when I was 10 or so. The goggles... they do nothing!

Haha, if by "come a long way" you mean, "not red and blue frames anymore" then, yes . They just look like sunglasses, albeit unfashionable ones.

Quote by Snowblind 911
Haha, if by "come a long way" you mean, "not red and blue frames anymore" then, yes . They just look like sunglasses, albeit unfashionable ones.

But it feels like it's in 3D right? I don't even know why they made those red and blue framed glasses, their main purpose seemed to be to make you look like an idiot.
sounds a bit of an arrogant twat tbh.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Kensai

light polarisation.
the goggles have polaroid lenses and the two projectors emit light if frequencies which are at perpendicular polarisation to each other.
oh, just google it. i'm too lazy for this.
Quote by Kensai
But it feels like it's in 3D right? I don't even know why they made those red and blue framed glasses, their main purpose seemed to be to make you look like an idiot.

There was a short spiel by the director before the preview, and it just looked like you could reach out and touch him. The image was crystal-clear, and it was done so that it looked like his head was like, sitting in front of the screen. Very cool.

And yeah O_o, I remember watching Spy Kids in 3D, and thinking I was doing something wrong. I think I abandoned them after about an hour and just watched it bare. In retrospect, it was never going to look good.

well, just watched the trailer, and it looks pretty terrible.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
well, just watched the trailer, and it looks pretty terrible.

I can't say the storyline made much sense to me in the preview, but that aside, the advancement in technology alone makes this worth watching.

Quote by funkyducky
light polarisation.
the goggles have polaroid lenses and the two projectors emit light if frequencies which are at perpendicular polarisation to each other.
oh, just google it. i'm too lazy for this.

Well I meant if it feels like 3D, I don't dwell on the technical details that often :p

I would love to have those for gaming, though.

Quote by Snowblind 911
There was a short spiel by the director before the preview, and it just looked like you could reach out and touch him. The image was crystal-clear, and it was done so that it looked like his head was like, sitting in front of the screen. Very cool.

And yeah O_o, I remember watching Spy Kids in 3D, and thinking I was doing something wrong. I think I abandoned them after about an hour and just watched it bare. In retrospect, it was never going to look good.

That sounds really cool, maybe I'll watch avatar just for the experience. Even though the script doesn't seem very enticing.

Spy kids...
Page 1 of 2