Every song in this is C4C. My computer that has Guitar Pro hasn't been hooked up to the internet for a long time, and still isn't. I've grown tired of waiting, so I put all my recent work onto a CD and brought it to this computer. Anything I have to crit will have to be transferred this same way, so it won't be returned immediatly.
The contents of this are all for my band. Some of them only have one guitar because it was written before we aquired a second guitarist, so the second guitarist will most likely play something very similar to the original guitar. The songs genres include Punk, Pop-Punk, Alternative, and Grunge. I'll include a brief description of each below.

Collab 1:
This is a collaboration between me and our guitarist/vocalist. It's a pretty upbeat, happy song, and I'd label it somewhere from Pop-Punk to Alternative. Ignore the current solo, it's probably going to be redone.

Collab 2:
This is another collaboration between me and our guitarist/vocalist. I'd say this one is Alternative. There's a spot for the solo, but the lead guitar hasn't been written for it yet.

Insert Emotion Here:
This is a very sarcastic Punk/Grunge song that I wrote; lyrics will be included in a wordpad document.

Project 99:
This is a Pop-Punkish song, with no distortion (a rarity in my writing).

Project D7:
A strange song, because it has no choruses, and is based off of a drum beat. Ignore the current solo, it's going to be rewritten.

Projection:
An alternative song with slight grunge to it; lyrics will be included in a wordpad document.

Projecta 04:
A cross between Alternative and Pop-Punk.

Projecta 02:
This is a very grungey song.

If you find any problems with this thread or the files, let me know. Be honest with your crits, and try to be constructive; I'll return any crits that at least look like they tried.

Edit: Some of the changes on the GP4 files seem to be changing to the MIDI version of the instrument instead of the RSE; you'll have to go through and change those if you're using the GP4 versions.
Attachments:
2UG.zip
Last edited by herby190 at Aug 20, 2009,
Critting "Projecta 4"

Intro: Very catchy clean riff, and I love the drum beat you throw over it.

Post-Intro: The muted gallops are a nice touch, helps break the monotony of just a plain chord progression.

Pre-Verse: Pretty much the same as the last half of the intro, nothing to complain about.

Verse: It does it's job, nothing spectacular but it also could've been a lot worse =P

Bridge: A nice break from the repeated sections from earlier.

Overall, a nice catchy song. But pleeeeease vary the drums up a little more that is my only complaint. The song didn't really have any defining sections because the drums were exactly the same in every section except the bridge.
I checked Projecta 4 also, might check others later.
About Projecta 4: I agree with Morve38, the song has a catchy riff but it feels somewhat monotonous. A C G F6/Dm everywhere except the verse: intro, post-intro, pre-verse, post-verse, pre-chorus, chorus, post-chorus, bridge... Yes, with rhythm alternation, but you basically got two.

I guess this is not the final song, is it? The singer is missing with his melody. I think with the melody added to it's going to be alright just watch out so it won't get to monotonous.
Quote by atira
I checked Projecta 4 also, might check others later.
About Projecta 4: I agree with Morve38, the song has a catchy riff but it feels somewhat monotonous. A C G F6/Dm everywhere except the verse: intro, post-intro, pre-verse, post-verse, pre-chorus, chorus, post-chorus, bridge... Yes, with rhythm alternation, but you basically got two.

I guess this is not the final song, is it? The singer is missing with his melody. I think with the melody added to it's going to be alright just watch out so it won't get to monotonous.

Thanks; don't worry about the vocal melody getting repetitive, me and the guitarist/vocalist write all the lyrics, and our technique prevents that. We have two main ways of writing; one is trading off, which prevents it from getting repetitive because we keep trading, and also we'll write by just taking all of the poetry we've each written (and we each write a lot of it) and taking individual lines, stanzas, couplets, et cetera and putting them into the song. We still of course write songs in what would be considered the normal way, but often mix that with our other techniques, as to stop it from becoming just a rant on a subject.

And as to what was said about the drums in Projecta 04 (not the real name, it just doesn't have lyrics yet), now that I look at it, I agree. I'm thinking I'll change the drums in the Post-Intro, Chorus, and probably the Pre-Chorus. Seeing as I don't have a drumset, I'm just gonna give this piece to my drummer and tell him I've done all I can, and which parts he should probably change.
Last edited by herby190 at Aug 20, 2009,
Critting Collab 1 now:

Intro: I like this riff a lot, it's different and is quite fun to play.

Verse: This has a very interesting rhythm pattern. It flows well enough with the song.

Pre-Chorus: Would be a cool build to the chorus with catchy vocals on top of it.

Chorus: I don't like the drums for this at all, try throwing a little lead or octaves over it to help break the monotony. The chorus is supposed to be the catchiest part of the song.

Bridge: Kinda boring, I like the progression but you should do a little more with it.

It has potential, but I don't find its current state all that impressive. It has a few good sections atm but there's so many little things you could do in so many parts that'd just help it tremendously.
I checked the others too.
Collab 2 has a good, interesting and somewhat unique basic riff. I liked it.
Collab 1 also has a nice basic melody. In contrast with Morve I felt the drums strange in the bridge section. And the solo part seems a little short to be a full fledged solo.
I don't know about the others, I'm not really into this style.
I looked at them all. I have one big complaint: you might as well call "Projection" "In Bloom Riff Goes Here." If you haven't heard the song, it's by Nirvana. And it basically... no, it's the exact same riff. But I'll pick one to crit.

Projecta04

The intro isn't bad, but that last chord arpeggio is a bit weird. the Post-Intro i definitely saw coming, just reiterating the intro. I think the pre-verse should be the verse, though, and the verse should be the pre-chorus. Just get rid of the pre-chorus. Chorus is alright, just reusing the post-intro.

Now, the bridge I definitely like. Like the clean, away first guitar, and then the electric in the other ear. The thing after Chorus 3 is pretty cool, too, but the song ends terribly. End it with an A chord, if anything.

Overall, not really that great, but my ears aren't burning. Just about a straight 5/10.

Thanks for the crit.
Quote by Msu_Man04
I looked at them all. I have one big complaint: you might as well call "Projection" "In Bloom Riff Goes Here." If you haven't heard the song, it's by Nirvana. And it basically... no, it's the exact same riff. But I'll pick one to crit.

Projecta04

The intro isn't bad, but that last chord arpeggio is a bit weird. the Post-Intro i definitely saw coming, just reiterating the intro. I think the pre-verse should be the verse, though, and the verse should be the pre-chorus. Just get rid of the pre-chorus. Chorus is alright, just reusing the post-intro.

Now, the bridge I definitely like. Like the clean, away first guitar, and then the electric in the other ear. The thing after Chorus 3 is pretty cool, too, but the song ends terribly. End it with an A chord, if anything.

Overall, not really that great, but my ears aren't burning. Just about a straight 5/10.

Thanks for the crit.

As for the thing about Projection, I don't see it; I've heard In Bloom, and I don't really see the resemblance.
Yours:

----------------------------|----------------------------|
--3--3--3--3--x--x--x-x-x-x-|----------------------------|
--3--3--3--3--x--x--x-x-x-x-|--4--4--4--4--x--x--x-x-x-x-|
--1--1--1--1--x--x--x-x-x-x-|--4--4--4--4--x--x--x-x-x-x-|
----------------------------|--2--2--2--2--x--x--x-x-x-x-|

----------------------------|--------------------|
--8--8--8--8--x--x--x-x-x-x-|--4--------2--------|
--6--6--6--6--x--x--x-x-x-x-|--2--------0--------|

In Bloom:

e----------------------------------------------------------------------------
b----------------------------------------------------------------------------
g--3-3-3-3-3-x---------------0-/8-8-8-8-8-x-0-4-4-4-4-0-2-2-2----------------
d--3-3-3-3-3-x-0-4-4-4-4-4-x-0-/8-8-8-8-8-x-0-4-4-4-4-0-2-2-2----------------
a--1-1-1-1-1-x-0-4-4-4-4-4-x-0-/6-6-6-6-6-x-0-2-2-2-2-0-0-0-0----------------
e--------------0-2-2-2-2-2-x-------------------------------------------------

Just saying. Beyond-eerie resemblance.
Quote by Msu_Man04
Yours:

--3--3--3--3--x--x--x-x-x-x-|----------------------------|
--3--3--3--3--x--x--x-x-x-x-|--4--4--4--4--x--x--x-x-x-x-|
--1--1--1--1--x--x--x-x-x-x-|--4--4--4--4--x--x--x-x-x-x-|
----------------------------|--2--2--2--2--x--x--x-x-x-x-|

--6--6--6--6--x--x--x-x-x-x-|--2--------0--------|

In Bloom:

e----------------------------------------------------------------------------
b----------------------------------------------------------------------------
g--3-3-3-3-3-x---------------0-/8-8-8-8-8-x-0-4-4-4-4-0-2-2-2----------------
d--3-3-3-3-3-x-0-4-4-4-4-4-x-0-/8-8-8-8-8-x-0-4-4-4-4-0-2-2-2----------------
a--1-1-1-1-1-x-0-4-4-4-4-4-x-0-/6-6-6-6-6-x-0-2-2-2-2-0-0-0-0----------------
e--------------0-2-2-2-2-2-x-------------------------------------------------

Just saying. Beyond-eerie resemblance.

Dude, it's ok for two songs to have the same chord progression lol. Out of the billions of songs in existence, there actually are gonna be a couple sections that sound extremely similar or even exactly the same
Quote by Morve38
Dude, it's ok for two songs to have the same chord progression lol. Out of the billions of songs in existence, there actually are gonna be a couple sections that sound extremely similar or even exactly the same

I'm aware, lol. I love In Bloom, so it's not really a bad thing. The only reason I posted the tabs is because he said he didn't hear the resemblance. So... maybe he could see it.
Quote by Msu_Man04
I'm aware, lol. I love In Bloom, so it's not really a bad thing. The only reason I posted the tabs is because he said he didn't hear the resemblance. So... maybe he could see it.

Yeah I definitely hear the resemblance too, but I think he presents it in a way different enough for it not to be a rip off.

Anyway, on to the songs.

I'll just give a general crit since most of them suffer from problems in the same area.

First and foremost, pretty much all of them will depend entirely on vocals. That's not really a bad thing, since most mainstream music today depends entirely on vocals. Still it wouldn't hurt to try to add some memorable guitar work into the mix.

Your rhythms are all fairly bland. Mostly you'll stick to 8th note chugging. It's be nice to hear some interesting rhythms going on, and when you're not doing straight 8th note chugging, almost everything you do in dead on beat. Experiment between the beats, that's where you're going to get interesting rhythms from.

Solos. A lot of off notes going on in the few solos you've got. You also need to play closer attention to the notes you pause on. It's very important that you stop on a note from the chord that you're playing over. You did this a lot with bends too, you'd start on good note, then bend into something really bad.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting any of them were bad or anything. They weren't. You chose some interesting chord progressions, and for the most part the songs were put together fairly well.

And why not just but a USB memory stick? You can get one for $10 these days, would save you the pain of burning cds. Or better yet just install GP on both computers
Critting Projecta 2:

Although this kind of music isn't my cup of tea, I enjoyed it. A bit repetive, perhaps, but mostly good riffs. I liked the chorus.

In the bass and drums break, I think you should use the opportunity to alter the bass line a little, making it a bass-solo feel. That would be nice.

And I miss a guitar solo. Not something extreme, but just a little one after the bass and drum part.

Other than that, I don't really have anything to put my finger on.

Overall: 7/10

Care to crit my song?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193012
Collab 1: Certainly a very happy and major song. Perhaps pop rock is a bit strong It's catchy but as it isn't really my style of music I shall leave it at that. I thought it got a bit repetitive. Could probably be made better with a bit of a longer bridge.

Collab 2: Some chords sounded out of key (i.e. the A chord on bar 3) and the drums didn't seem to fit. The drums seemed lazy and cliche but under the genre I can understand why. Very basic and obviously puts an emphasis on the vocals. You seem to just recycle the intro riff in as many variations as you can i.e. chorus, post chorus, pre-chorus and to say that it gets repetitive is an understatement. Perhaps add in some different riffs or alter the riff more drastically.

Insert emotion here: Not alot to say about this one. For the most part it's catchy, lively and fun but once again suffers the distinct problem of being repetitive. In the whole song there is a distinction of two riffs which are primarily power chords. Perhaps you could add another part in just to mix it up a little.

Project 99: I like this song. You manage to go out of key frequently yet make it sound good. I like the clean parts especially as it is very reminiscent of the song I uploaded (before I saw yours :P) but yet again you basically recycle the main riff over and over so that it becomes monotonous. Perhaps you could add something other than the cool little riff. Perhaps a power chord bridge etc.

Project D7: The drum intro is too long. The riff sounds strangely like Green Day's "Basket Case" but it is definately catchy. This one is more diverse and less repetitive than your other songs but the solo went horribly out of key. Perhaps write the solo using the A flat major scale using patterns 3 and 4.

Projecta02: To be honest I found the intro riff a little bit intimidating. I wondered how you expected to go from an A5 on the low E to that strange chord on the G and B in eighth notes, but that isn't important. It was heavier than your other songs and actually quite good.

Projecta04: Reminiscent of project 99 and a very nice song. Not alot to say about this one as I thought it was very good. My new favourite song of the bunch.

Projection - Sounds exactly like Nirvana's "bloom" Whether this is intentional or not it needs to be rectified because I noticed it immediately. It's unfortunate because it's a good riff.

Overall I give your "album" 6/10. Repetitive but catchy.

Critique mine now please?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193566

(Yes I just critiqued the entire album, please check mine out now)
Last edited by jakeums at Sep 2, 2009,