So I'm looking at buying cheap acoustic guitar to leave at the cottage permanently. The last few times I've been up there, the truck gets so full of people and gear that there's no room to pack a guitar.

I've been scouring the used ads looking for some bottom-of-the-line Acoustic, Classical, or travel guitar I can abandon up north and not worry about it getting abused by visitors or stolen when we aren't around.

My main concern is that the temps vary from -20c in the winter to +35c in the summer (that doesn't include the daily variations which can easily be 15 degrees). Where we are gets fairly humid in summer and the cold dries things out in the winter pretty good.

So, what's my best bet for keeping a guitar from warping like crazy? Also what's my best/cheapest choice for a occasional instrument like this?

Cheers
So I just read the helpful Humidity thread but I still have a few questions.

What if I leave it there for summers only? or mark the case with a note only to open the case Spring -> Fall?
As you probably have guess yourself, you probably won't leave the guitar in frosty weather.

Now I don't know how the climate is, but if you just want a cheap acoustic that has laminate solid soundboard, sides and back then there's a little chance that it will get messed up. Solid wood is much more in the danger zone when you have very dry or very humid weather.

But as I said, buy an all laminate guitar and you'll be fine.
^ Wrong. All laminates won't take kindly to high temp/high humidity. How are the laminated plies of wood held together? Pressure and glue is how they are initially bonded. Subject that glued wood to high enough temperature and high enough humidity for an extended period of time and it will seperate.
The Martin X series would probably hold up better. They are made from HPL, or high pressure laminate, which isn't the same as laminated wood found on other less expensive guitars. It's actually made from a gray goop material that is pressed into the different shapes of the guitar parts, then laminated with the desired wood for appearance. Pretty tough stuff and not nearly as subject to change from temp/humidity as their wooden counterparts.
Another choice may be a carbon fiber guitar, although they are a bit spendy.
You could also check into the backpacker series by Martin. They are made for that sort of thing and are pretty rugged little buggers. I don't care for the sound of them, but to each their own.
Quote by LeftyDave
The Martin X series would probably hold up better. They are made from HPL, or high pressure laminate, which isn't the same as laminated wood found on other less expensive guitars. It's actually made from a gray goop material that is pressed into the different shapes of the guitar parts, then laminated with the desired wood for appearance. Pretty tough stuff and not nearly as subject to change from temp/humidity as their wooden counterparts.

TS, I'd just find a cheap guitar at a pawn shop. You can probably find an acceptable ax for below $150, if you take the time to search.

If you go with the travel size, I second the Backpacker, but my most recent purchase was a Washburn Rover. Here's a quick review:

Paid $150 at a shop in Warwick RI
Came with a hardshell case
Solid top
Incredible volume
Twangy
Intonation is good
Action sucked, but to be fair the shop offered to handle it and I declined. I filed the saddle as low as possible, but the strings are still high. And I prefer a high action, so most people would find that unacceptable. Looks like the neck is set wrong, but every one in the store was like that. I also turned the truss rod until the dip was almost gone; nearly flat, but still no buzzing.
The shop was a dealer for Washburn, and they went out of their way to offer anything I might need. I declined, but customer service was incredible for a purchase that low.
Sales lady was a MILF; one more smile and I would have paid $200 if she asked

I appraise guitars in a pretty cold hearted fashion when I buy. That is the first guitar I've payed MSRP for in years. The case, which fits in overhead storage on an airliner, yet is still strong enough to protect the guitar, was a major factor, since in my job I almost never work within five hundred miles of my house.

The Backpacker is a much better guitar, but it also costs double.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break