Hey, so I'm mainly a basser, but i dug out my old trashy Epi Les Paul. Its one of the begginer, cheap as dirt, $150 ones.

Me and this gutiar go way back tho, it was my first electric guitar and it reminds me of a friend I used to know, so I was thinking I could upgrade it, maybe.

I was thinking of things that would have to be replaced.

I was thinking since its one of the $150 ones and it has a bolt on neck, my first question is could I just unscrew the Epi neck and put on like a Fender neck? (I prefer Fender necks, much more comftorable to me)

Secondly, I was thinking I could put in Gibson pickups. Would that all I need to really replace? Pickups and neck? Also, this is the first guitar I've wanted to mod, so is there anything else i should know?
Try adding more delay.
Maybe tuners and if your gonna bother with new pickups upgrade pots/ switch while your at it.
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Maybe tuners and if your gonna bother with new pickups upgrade pots/ switch while your at it.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, I know pots are electroncial, but what are they exactly?
Try adding more delay.
Pots are the controls that affect volume and tone when you twist the dial.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
If it were me, I'd paint it white, have some Duncan pups in there (and maybe a P-90 in the neck), fit some pup covers and maybe a Gibson neck. If you do get pup covers, make sure they're quality ones, or else they can have a detrimental affect on your tone.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Quote by MacMan2001
If it were me, I'd paint it white, have some Duncan pups in there (and maybe a P-90 in the neck), fit some pup covers and maybe a Gibson neck. If you do get pup covers, make sure they're quality ones, or else they can have a detrimental affect on your tone.

ha, I'm gunan keep it black, cuz i used to ahve a friend who had the same gutiar when he was a kid and screwed it up the same way as I did by tweakign a gibson pickgaurd on it (:

Why would you suggest Duncan pickups? and I was planning on getting pickup covers

I didn't think a Gibson neck would work because they're all thru bodies, aren't they?

thanks for all your help so far man (:
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
ha, I'm gunan keep it black, cuz i used to ahve a friend who had the same gutiar when he was a kid and screwed it up the same way as I did by tweakign a gibson pickgaurd on it (:

Why would you suggest Duncan pickups? and I was planning on getting pickup covers

I didn't think a Gibson neck would work because they're all thru bodies, aren't they?

i thought gibsons were set necks
Quote by kakos
i thought gibsons were set necks

set neck? Might be, I jsut thought it was through body because of the lack of screws int eh back of the neck.
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
set neck? Might be, I jsut thought it was through body because of the lack of screws int eh back of the neck.

yeh set-necks = glued ...
The fender neck MIGHT fit, physically, but you'll never get it in tune as it's a different scale length. The other option is a 24 3/4" scale neck from warmoth, but do you really want to pay 3 times what your guitar was originally worth just for a neck?
You won't find a Fender neck the right scale length- it MUST be 24.75", or you could consider moving your bridge and possibly neck pickup back (But that's too much hassle).
Replace the tuners, nut, and bridge. The pickups should be replaced as well, as Epiphone have some of the worst stock.
The pots can be replaced, definitely the toggle switch and jack though.

Basically, replace every single bit of it you can.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by telecastrmastr

No worries with the colour - I've got a black one now, so I'd pick something other than that to make it different.

Duncan pups are, IMO, the sweetest of all pups. Great tone, and more "alive" sounding than other brands. But that's all personal preference. Dimarzio are good too, i'll stick some Super Distortions in a Strat when i get one.

Pickup covers can alter your tone because they interfere with the magnetic field produced by your pickups. Pickups DESIGNED for pickup covers (like Gibson's BurstBuckers) are wound so that the pickup cover has no affect on tone.

Well, the Fender necks have a diff. scale length to Gibson's anyway, so I dunno if a Fender one would work. I'm not too familiar with whether LPs are set or thru.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by frusciante.ve

If it's one of those epi's with a bolt on neck,it's not really worth modding.No matter how much $$$ you throw at it,it's still gonna be a cheap LP knock off.
Better idea=give the it funkiest psychadelic paint job ever.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.