What's up UG.

I've just acquired a PODxt and am wondering what kind of small amp I should get to play this thing through.

In a different thread, scott58 said that he uses his through an epi valve jr. and it sounds great.

So for now on my list is an epi valve jr. head/cab (Also figured maybe I could just pickup the head and use my genz benz 2x12 for the cab, but I don't know how those two would mingle)

I really just want what I hear in my crappy headphones to come out of the amp since it would probably sound better. So since all my controls and eq'ing would come from the pod, I would just need something nice and simple to run it through.

Any other suggestions besides an epi valve jr.? I'm also open to SS suggestions as well.

Don't really know a budget. I'll probably just trade gear on CL to get it. If not, maybe 200-300.
Like always I recommend the Blackstar HT-5 head!

I takes effects really well, and will probably mix up pretty well with your 2x12 cab.
Maybe an AC4 or a Blackheart?

Edit: Check out some high quality computer speakers to. I ran my RP250 directly into a set of BOSE speakers out of the headphone jack and it was the best sound I could get out of it by far.
Last edited by Shabadoo at Aug 20, 2009,
I'd probably just grab a poweramp of some sort. A very transparant one like a Carvin or a studio poweramp.
WTLTL 2011
You don't need an amp if it's got amp models. I'm running my pocket pod through studio monitors and it sounds fine. If your singer's got a PA then you can run it through that live, or normal speakers at home.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
I have a Boss GT-8, and I run...well ran it through a "Washburn BadDog" amp is what I believe it is called. 1 input, boost button, Bass, Treble Control, Headphone Jack, and a Power On (obviously) is all it has...I used it because it was 10 watts, its solid (built, not a beginner amp feel), and it is EXTREMELY clean. The amps I was using before didn't get as clean as it...defanetaly NOT a walmart first-act stupid beginner amp...I love it...
If you want to run it through an amp its advisable to run it through the FX return of it.

If the amp doesn't have one try to find a really clean amp like a chepa jazzz chorus or keyboard amp

If not then try a cheap power amp like Mark said
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Yeah, I was going to grab a jc55 on the used market, but it was already sold.

I totally forgot about the PA thing. I have my own PA system at home that I can try running it through as well. The speakers and power mixer aren't all that great, but it could work for now.

I'm a noob when it comes to power amps. Can any of you point me to a link of something that would work for me?

Thanks a bunch for all the comments.
Quote by MetalHead916
Yeah, I was going to grab a jc55 on the used market, but it was already sold.

I totally forgot about the PA thing. I have my own PA system at home that I can try running it through as well. The speakers and power mixer aren't all that great, but it could work for now.

I'm a noob when it comes to power amps. Can any of you point me to a link of something that would work for me?

Thanks a bunch for all the comments.

Carvin TS100 for a transparant affordable tube poweramp.

or maybe something like a Crate SPA 200

http://images.owneriq.net/download/images/f/f75ec5a3-b60e-4cae-aa41-feb35e92d506-000001.png

your PA should work though...
WTLTL 2011
That carvin looks like the ****. I'm gonna put that on the long list of gear to acquire one of these days

I think I'll just use my PA for now since it's just sitting there. I don't really like the speakers so maybe I'll just hook up the power mixer to my genz benz cab since the ohms will match.

Thanks for the help Mark. Hey, I checked out your band page and you guys are pretty damn talented.
Quote by MetalHead916
That carvin looks like the ****. I'm gonna put that on the long list of gear to acquire one of these days

I think I'll just use my PA for now since it's just sitting there. I don't really like the speakers so maybe I'll just hook up the power mixer to my genz benz cab since the ohms will match.

Thanks for the help Mark. Hey, I checked out your band page and you guys are pretty damn talented.

Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you a while back, looking for a way to power my GT-8. The thing with these is that you want a very transparant poweramp because they have onboard tube amp simulation. Tube amp simulation + tube poweramp is basically doubling on the tubes, which will get you a muddy sound. So the more transparant the better.

If you need power for live the Carvin TS100 is plenty loud, and very transparant even though its tube.

For just home you could just grab a random SS 100 watt poweramp like a rocktron velocity or maybe a Crown or something. You could ofcourse also use a normal guitar poweramp like mesa, VHT etc. but then you better disable the onboard poweramp sim on your effects unit.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 20, 2009,