My apologies if this software has been covered already (can't imagine it hasn't been) but I couldn't find a thread with this as the subject.

For those of you that don't know about Guitar and Drum Trainer it's really quite an exceptional piece of software and has been very helpful for me. It's billed as being created for music students, professional musicians and music teachers. Maybe some of the other software I've seen people talk about on UG do some of the same things, I don't know. It's made by Renegade Minds and is on its fourth major version.

With this software you basically open any song, backing track, etc. in the software and then play along with it. That's the most simple of items it does (nothing special there -- you could do that with any mp3 player).

Tempo: Slows down music without changing the pitch to help learn and transcribe music faster and easier. This has been invaluable to me as some songs are simply too fast for me to practice along with. You can also speed up music if you want.

Pitch Shifting: You can pitch shift music to transpose the recorded music into a new musical key without altering the playback speed. This is super helpful for someone like me that doesn't want to re-tune my guitar to practice a particular song. I simply change the pitch of the song to match whatever key my guitar is in.

Looping: Lets you listen to the same riff or section again and again. Combined with the ability to slow down the music, this is an excellent way to improve your instrument practice time and musicianship. You can save the loops, add pauses after them, skip to them, etc.

So far I've barely experimented with the looping features but I've seen others use it and it's really cool. My instructor can give me a loop on a Flash drive (that I can later slow down/change pitch) and practice with it on my software at home.

Remove Vocals/Instruments: Lets you completely or partialy remove vocals or instruments from mixed music. For me I remove the guitar portion and play along with the original band. So you basically end up with "backing tracks" that are the original music.

This can take some tweaking and I'm not particularly expert at it (yet). Vocals are the easiest to remove, guitar the most finicky -- basically because music as an mp3 is all mashed together, not like it would be with a multi-track recording. But still, it's an awesome tool I hope to get better with.

Saving: It lets you save slowed down and pitch shifted audio files that you can put on your hardware MP3 player or play in other audio software. All files are encoded with high quality settings for the best audio playback quality.

Tutorials: There are tutorials with images and write-ups on each function of the software. Like I said, I'm no expert with this yet, but it has an impressive list of things it can do.

Are there others out there that use this? If so I'd really like to collaborate on filtering instruments from songs so I can save them. It's pretty nice to be able to play along with Metallica when practicing Master of Puppets -- and then to be able to switch to Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams without having to change keys on my guitar.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
I might download this, it sounds like my cup of tea!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Sounds good -- that's what I did, got the trial and then bought it.

If anyone's accomplished at filtering out instruments please post up. It looks like some knowledge is needed to do it properly...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Definitely not an advertisement. I found out about it through a friend and tried it. I'll have to check out Audacity.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
You can do all of that with Audacity or Reaper.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Benjabenja
You can do all of that with Audacity or Reaper.

Well, then I guess we will never need to post about any other software from this point forward, huh?

But actually, that's good to know. I'll have to find a thread(s) where people are sharing their saved files. Do you happen to know of a link(s) for these?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by richardlpalmer
Well, then I guess we will never need to post about any other software from this point forward, huh?

But actually, that's good to know. I'll have to find a thread(s) where people are sharing their saved files. Do you happen to know of a link(s) for these?

i downloaded that guitar and drum trainer looks alright but i wouldnt be using it obviously legally when there are free alternatives.
Yeah, the Audacity option seems very cool. Even though I bought GDT I'm still going to try Audacity, how can you not?

The other one mentioned above costs more than GDT so I'm probably not going to try it.

But in the end all I really want to do is collaborate with others and share useful files that anyone can use to jam with. I'm sure there are guys out there that would love to drum/strum/sing along with their favorite bands/songs. These tools make that possible.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native