when i play standing up i seem to have a lot of wrist bend?

Is the normal

there's no pain or anything but it just seems like i'm bending my wrist alot maybe nearly 80 degree angle up to hit power chords etc
Same, usually when I play extremely low (like bending over) I have to curl my thumb over to the top E string. Everything's fine when I lift the neck a bit though.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Straps higher, guitar angle adjust, hand angel adjust and it won't hurt now but if you continue to play like that it will effect you for the long term..

I'm making an appointment for my wrist tomorrow... adjust now and get used to it... I spent years with too much bend and now I can't use my left hand for much without it killing me
when you sit down, that is the proper way the guitar should be. (ergonomically speaking, forget how "metal" you look.) try to have your strap so that it is close to that as can be while sitting.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Straps higher, guitar angle adjust, hand angel adjust and it won't hurt now but if you continue to play like that it will effect you for the long term..

I have the straps set to the highest possible setting Guess I need to pose less...
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
I have the straps set to the highest possible setting Guess I need to pose less...

Hmmm might be the neck that is giving you trouble.. I play differently on all three of my guitars because of the way they are designed.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Hmmm might be the neck that is giving you trouble.. I play differently on all three of my guitars because of the way they are designed.

True, I hear LP necks are pretty thick compared to other manufacturers. Guess I'll have to live with it.
Quote by Tombe
you're all forgetting one simple thing: stretch. just like any other activity that requires physical movement, you need to learn to stretch properly before getting into it. do you just start playing guitar out of the blue or do you stretch before playing? my guess is that you don't. research online for some exercises and stretches that you can do before playing. an hour on the computer could save you months at the doctors.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I get the same problem, my wrist hurts when I play power chords from around the 1st-6th fret. Would that be affected by how thin guitar necks are?
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Quote by Jhachey22
you're all forgetting one simple thing: stretch. just like any other activity that requires physical movement, you need to learn to stretch properly before getting into it. do you just start playing guitar out of the blue or do you stretch before playing? my guess is that you don't. research online for some exercises and stretches that you can do before playing. an hour on the computer could save you months at the doctors.

So fap then play?

I can do that

I normally have mine around my waist or a bit higher, but feels odd with explorer shape
Quote by BoL7z
So fap then play?

I can do that

I normally have mine around my waist or a bit higher, but feels odd with explorer shape

it doesn't matter where your guitar is, stretch. and no, fapping does not count (that works your muscles, not your fingers )
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I play a lot of instruments and I have never stretched, I do do warmups though (no use starting into Jordan Rudess soloing after a week of not playing of course). I agree you have to really look after your fingers as a musician.
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V
I play a lot of instruments and I have never stretched, I do do warmups though (no use starting into Jordan Rudess soloing after a week of not playing of course). I agree you have to really look after your fingers as a musician.

well, you should look into a lot more than your fingers. really, they play a minimal part comapred to your wrist, forarm and knuckles.

not to mention how many player's i've seen whose backs have been so beyond f*cked from years of bad form heavy lifting and terrible playing posture.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
well, you should look into a lot more than your fingers. really, they play a minimal part comapred to your wrist, forarm and knuckles.

not to mention how many player's i've seen whose backs have been so beyond f*cked from years of bad form heavy lifting and terrible playing posture.

When playing keyboard instruments use of anything other than the fingers is frowned upon...

Oh god yes horriblethings can happen. One guy broke his back trying to play this as a keytar
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V
When playing keyboard instruments use of anything other than the fingers is frowned upon...

Oh god yes horriblethings can happen. One guy broke his back trying to play this as a keytar

sorry, i assumed you played guitar because you were on a guitar site
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
sorry, i assumed you played guitar because you were on a guitar site

Yes that too I thought you were replying to my comment on keyboard instruments...
Quote by Tombe
Quote by Union Of V

You would be quite surprised. I've been playing piano for 10 and a half years now, and have just started getting into really advanced stuff (This is a song I'm learning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2nfwY1wjeA ). To play that song you can't just use fingers. The weight of the wrists, how open or closed your knuckles are, how much you use your elbow, even how tightly you flex your abs. Those all play a huge part into playing that song perfectly. I'll agree though, that at the beginning of learning piano, you should only need to use just your fingers, but quite often now that I've learned to use my other muscles, my dynamic and expressive range has increased dramatically.

But, back on topic, good posture is one of the biggest keys to playing without pain.
Well you see...when I JO, my wrist is nearly.....oh wait.....

*backs out slowly*

On a serious note.....its nothing to worry about...I have seen kids hold their pick with 3 fingers and their thumb, with their wrist cocked easily 80 degrees....I mean.....IMHO that is not the correct way to do it...but if its comfortable for them.....i don't care haha..
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Well you see...when I JO, my wrist is nearly.....oh wait.....

*backs out slowly*

On a serious note.....its nothing to worry about...I have seen kids hold their pick with 3 fingers and their thumb, with their wrist cocked easily 80 degrees....I mean.....IMHO that is not the correct way to do it...but if its comfortable for them.....i don't care haha..

ever seen Marty Friedman's pick hand?

'tis f*cked.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater