I just bought a Fender '72 Thinline tele (the HH one). I've heard they need a few modifications to the pickups and the pots to make it really sing, but I don't have the first clue what exactly they are (and if it really makes that much of a tonal difference). Anybody any experience?
Last edited by kill-the-scene at Aug 20, 2009,
Eh. If the guitar sounds ok to you then it probably is. Otherwise it might need a setup.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
If the pots are stock, they're 250K. Switch them to 500K pots and they'll sound a lot more bright.
If you have a lot of money, switch to the original Fender Wide Range pickups. Since they're made of CuNiFe, which are (IIRC) practically impossible to find nowadays, I don't think that you can obtain an after-market one.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Always-Ben
If the pots are stock, they're 250K. Switch them to 500K pots and they'll sound a lot more bright.

Both the volume and tone pots? I haven't really modded stuff before, so is there any difference between the tone and volume pot (in terms of hardware so I buy the right things) or is it all in the wiring?
No, you can use the same kind of pots for volume and tone,you will have to wire them differently of course, but you can use the same values.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!