im Starting to learn shred and i know your suppose to shred through the scales and well im starting to do pretty good at it but the problem is i only shred in one scale position...like for example the blues scale i can only shred on it on one position on the neck yet i see all these other guitarists all over the neck! How does this work, like figuring out the scale all over the neck? someone plz help!
Guitars
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine white
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
learn the notes of the fretboard then learn the scale in terms of notes and intervals instead of learning shapes
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
ok so what are intervals?
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
the distance between two notes.for the blues scale it is 1 1/2, W ,H, H ,1-1/2 ,W
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

**** i porbably didnt get this causse my dumb ass friend told me you cant combine scales and that ur suppose to only shred in one position, well i think i sorta get it better
Guitars
Agile Al-2000 59' LP
Fender Frankenstrat
Amps
Line 6 Spider III 75
Effects
Dunlop Slash SW-95 Wah
Digitech Grunge pedal
The scale all over the neck is just the scale pattern all over the neck. You will probably just memorize the patterns eventually, but you can use octaves and stuff to figure them out.

1|--------------7---9---11
2|--------------7---9---11
3|-----3---5---7
4|-----3---5---7
5|1---3---5
6|1---3---5

I think I did that right. But yeah, that is one part of what I was saying if you did it to the major scale. Those first six notes can be playing in multiple places on the neck, those places I tabbed are only a few.

You can also play pretty much the whole scale on one string if you know the pattern from your starting point on that string.

1|----------------------------------
2|----------------------------------
3|----------------------------------
4|----------------------------------
5|----------------------------------
6|1---3---5-6---8---10---12-13

That is the pattern (again, I think I tabbed it right), you just have to start on the right part of that pattern depending on your starting point. Like, if you were starting on the 4th string it would be as though you were starting at the "12-13" part on the 6th string.

So yeah, if you just learn the patterns, playing all over the neck will probably make a lot more sense on how it works. I made this all apply to the major scale, not the blues scale...sorry.

And yeah, it does help to know the intervals too, like for the major scale it is:
W W H W W W H
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
Last edited by Lukesterspy at Aug 20, 2009,
get a book on basic theory.theres no point having good technique if you dont know to use it
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Learn the major scale - if you understand how the major scale is constructed, in terms of notes and intervals, it will make every other scale about a thousand times easier, as pretty much every scale you'll ever use can be derived from the major scale.

And you can't just combine scales - you use whatever scale(s) works with the backing.

Edit: A scale is just a set of notes - you can play teh scale (and use the scale) anywhere on the neck that those notes appear.
Last edited by zhilla at Aug 21, 2009,
Locorian (or Dorian?) scales man. Thats for heavy metal and I dont think the have any open notes.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
vinnie u dont know what your talking about
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

TS..."shredding" isn't just running up and down scales. Shredding is simply very good guitar playing, both on a technical level but also a musical level. If you want to play at those speeds you need to have an excellent understanding of the fretboard and how the guitar works musically. If you don't all you'll end up doing is playing mindless crap. Guys like Vai and Gilbert didn't suddenly wake up one day and say to themselves "zomg I want to be a shredz0rs...I must learn teh scalez!". All they did was practice their bollocks off at the basics of playing guitar and got damned good at them, whilst at the same time absorbing all they could about the instrument. If you got any of the good shredders in a one-to-one situation and asked them to play something I guarantee they could play at least one thing representative of any genre you've heard. Gradual progression is how it works, you don't "try" to become a shredder - you simply focus on the next step, whatever is the natural progression from where you are currently. If you try to rush too far ahead you'll just fal flat on your face.

Running up and down a scale pattern without even knowing what it is is pointless, it's not going to make you better at guitar and it's not going to impress anyone either. So, in short, you can't "shred in one position"...you can't actually shred at all. If you want to learn scales then great, it'll help you a lot, but actually LEARN them..have a look at the links in Freepower's sig. Your fingers are not the be all and end all of guitar playing, I'd even argue that they're not even the most important thing. Your mind and your ears are at least as important so start using them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com