Evening all,

I know these threads come up looooooaddds on this forum, and I've posted one before, but I really do need advice.

I'm looking for a GIGGABLE (albeit just pubs/clubs) amp, capable of:

ACDC, Bad Company, Black Label Society, BLACK STONE CHERRY, BON JOVI, CREED, The Darkness, Deep Purple, DEF LEPPARD, Eric Clapton, Foo Fighters, Free, Gary Moore, GUNS N' ROSES, Iron Maiden, JIMI HENDRIX, Journey, Kid Rock, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Meat Loaf, METALLICA, NICKELBACK, OZZY OSBORNE, Pink Floyd, The Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Van Halen, WHITESNAKE, The Who.

So you can see I would like something which can take me from 'Master of Puppets' to 'Hey Joe' to 'Crazy Train' to 'Wanted Dead or Alive' to 'Higher' to 'Sweet Child O' Mine'. A real variety of tones I guess.

and for all these qualities, I'd like a Marshall combo, and I only have a budget of around £400 ($660).

Would you's recommend me saving up to like £600/£700 first?

Is the Line 6 Spider III really a piece of ****? If not, could the 75w, 120w or 150w hold its own on stage?

Should I go with the Vox VT50?

Please give advice on wattage capabilites for gigs (without micing up), models, tones and reliability?

Any advice appreciated greeeatly.
dont go for the spider 3 if you're gigging, if you really need THAT much versatility, modelling is the only thing that would get you there on that budget, check out the Line 6 flextone seriers, i heard those werent too bad, or if you stretch your budget some, maybe a used vetta
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by Oneill9293
Evening all,

I know these threads come up looooooaddds on this forum, and I've posted one before, but I really do need advice.

I'm looking for a GIGGABLE (albeit just pubs/clubs) amp, capable of:

ACDC, Bad Company, Black Label Society, BLACK STONE CHERRY, BON JOVI, CREED, The Darkness, Deep Purple, DEF LEPPARD, Eric Clapton, Foo Fighters, Free, Gary Moore, GUNS N' ROSES, Iron Maiden, JIMI HENDRIX, Journey, Kid Rock, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Meat Loaf, METALLICA, NICKELBACK, OZZY OSBORNE, Pink Floyd, The Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Van Halen, WHITESNAKE, The Who.

So you can see I would like something which can take me from 'Master of Puppets' to 'Hey Joe' to 'Crazy Train' to 'Wanted Dead or Alive' to 'Higher' to 'Sweet Child O' Mine'. A real variety of tones I guess.

and for all these qualities, I'd like a Marshall combo, and I only have a budget of around £400 ($660).

Would you's recommend me saving up to like £600/£700 first?

Is the Line 6 Spider III really a piece of ****? If not, could the 75w, 120w or 150w hold its own on stage?

Should I go with the Vox VT50?

Please give advice on wattage capabilites for gigs (without micing up), models, tones and reliability?

Any advice appreciated greeeatly.

I would go with the Vox over the Spider, and I think most people would as well, they sound very digital.

On Wattage, a 15watt tube amp (about 25-30watt solid state) should do fine for small venues.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Why do people assume that these threads are annoying? Some people enjoy helping others, it's almost like a puzzle sometimes.

Anyway, after skim reading those bands, it seems you want something that is good for rock, metal, some bits of alternate here and there, so (correct me if I'm wrong) it isn't much of a versatility stretch for an amp, right?

Do you need it to clean up at high volumes? If so, a high watt amp or a solid state is up your street, if not, then you can probably get away with t00bz.

/2cents
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Line6 Flextone.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
You could go for the Marshall DSL-401 combo. They got them on ebay for $500-$600.

That's one awesome amp if you ask me.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
u know, i dont know how others feel about this but...

i have a marshall jcm 2000. a lot of the bands i cover are the bands in your post. this amp takes me from a surprisingly good clean channel, to a ripping ultra lead channel. it can literally go from a creed style intro to master of puppets. a jcm 2000 dsl 401 combo goes for like $1100...so your budget would have to be increased. but its seriously worth it. i love mine. i got the halfstack they are running special for $1300 all over the place. atleast in the US they are.

i would highly highly recommend this amp. mainly for its versatility...clean, crunch, 2 ultra lead channels. i do a lot of clean to distorted, sounds like you might be too. i shopped around for something like it for months, couldn't find anything. its totally worth the cash.

for the love of god, do not get a line 6 spider 3. please.
a bugera 1960 is a plexi clone thats in your pricerange i think.
~Defiant~
Quote by rkmad
u know, i dont know how others feel about this but...

i have a marshall jcm 2000. a lot of the bands i cover are the bands in your post. this amp takes me from a surprisingly good clean channel, to a ripping ultra lead channel. it can literally go from a creed style intro to master of puppets. a jcm 2000 dsl 401 combo goes for like $1100...so your budget would have to be increased. but its seriously worth it. i love mine. i got the halfstack they are running special for $1300 all over the place. atleast in the US they are.

i would highly highly recommend this amp. mainly for its versatility...clean, crunch, 2 ultra lead channels. i do a lot of clean to distorted, sounds like you might be too. i shopped around for something like it for months, couldn't find anything. its totally worth the cash.

for the love of god, do not get a line 6 spider 3. please.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=marshall+dsl+401&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Let me know when you find one for $1100.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Get the Vox.

edit: ^^Wow, or you can get one of those Marshalls.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Last edited by Pencil Man at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by greenwoodfan93
Used Peavey Classic 30 and an overdrive or distortion pedal.

+1

but if you get used, you'll have enough left for a couple/few pedals...

Overdrive
Distortion
Delay

Good to go..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
+1

but if you get used, you'll have enough left for a couple/few pedals...

Overdrive
Distortion
Delay

Good to go..

This or a Vox Nightrain and an OD.
Quote by greenwoodfan93
Used Peavey Classic 30 and an overdrive or distortion pedal.

im fairly certain peavey is more expensive in the UK, as well as being harder to find. instead i would try laney. the VC and LC are supposed to be very nice, though admittedly i havent tried them. i think the VC is more of a vintage sounding amp and the LC is more modern, though im not really sure i didnt reverse that. these were the amps people were recomending for people with a similar budget to the classic 30 in the UK a while ago. the 30w versions of both are between 400 and 500 GBP so that isnt too much over your budget, and you could maybe scrape by with the 15w versions (i would go for the 30 for the wattage and features though). i think the more vintage sounding one would be better for your, and if it isnt quite versitile enough you can add some pedals at a later date (or now if you pick the amp up used).

if you want to go for a more modeling amp, i would try the vox ones. never liked the spiders (though the originals were better) and the vyper didnt really impress me when i tried it for a few minutes. roland cube seemed better for more modern or heavier styles as well, so i would still like the vox. though if you could manage to score a used DSL combo in your price range, that would work. never was a huge fan of them myself, but they do sound pretty good and lots of people like them.
Quote by Aurex
a bugera 1960 is a plexi clone thats in your pricerange i think.

A Bugera 1960 is not a Plexi clone. Just because it has similar aesthetics does not mean it's the circuit. A 150 watt MV amp will not sound like a genuine Plexi no matter how hard you try.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by jof1029
im fairly certain peavey is more expensive in the UK, as well as being harder to find. instead i would try laney. the VC and LC are supposed to be very nice, though admittedly i havent tried them. i think the VC is more of a vintage sounding amp and the LC is more modern, though im not really sure i didnt reverse that. these were the amps people were recomending for people with a similar budget to the classic 30 in the UK a while ago. the 30w versions of both are between 400 and 500 GBP so that isnt too much over your budget, and you could maybe scrape by with the 15w versions (i would go for the 30 for the wattage and features though). i think the more vintage sounding one would be better for your, and if it isnt quite versitile enough you can add some pedals at a later date (or now if you pick the amp up used).

Yeah the Peaveys do cost more new in the UK, but there is a significant price drop when they are used, I've very recently bought a used classic 50 for just £260 despite it retailing at more than £800, and I've seen plenty of classic 30's go for under £250, so its always worth considering.
I play a lot of the same music and the Marshall DSL50 does it great. The DSL401 may get you there, but the El84 tubes just don't have the same raunchy quality that an EL34 does. I would probably look into a used DSL50\DSL100.
I just bought a Vox VT50, a great buy. Because of the tube pre-amp I really don't think it sounds digital. It also takes effects well since the tube pre-amp (this I have heard, not actually tried considering I don't own pedals. However, a friend of mine who gigs tells me it works).
I like my ENGL Savage for all of those tones, check if you can get a Savage 60 on ebay for a few hundred dollars and a small cab with it, combine it with xmas money or something.
Get a POD Pro X3 and carry it with you to the gig, give it to the soundman, and tell him "Stick that in your rack and suck on it, chief."
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by mindstealer
I play a lot of the same music and the Marshall DSL50 does it great. The DSL401 may get you there, but the El84 tubes just don't have the same raunchy quality that an EL34 does. I would probably look into a used DSL50\DSL100.

Yeah, but the 401 is a combo - I'm only 16, so I can't drive around with big cabs to practices/small gigs, plus I just don't have enough room. So I think a stack is off limits.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'd prefer to stay with Marshall to be honest; I've heard anything under £500 and you're just paying for the name. But that's fine with me.

SO, a Marshall, a combo, second hand, for £400 or under (or maybe I could save up until xmas), that's giggable...

I don't ask for much, right?
Quote by Oneill9293
Yeah, but the 401 is a combo - I'm only 16, so I can't drive around with big cabs to practices/small gigs, plus I just don't have enough room. So I think a stack is off limits.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'd prefer to stay with Marshall to be honest; I've heard anything under £500 and you're just paying for the name. But that's fine with me.

SO, a Marshall, a combo, second hand, for £400 or under (or maybe I could save up until xmas), that's giggable...

I don't ask for much, right?

Marshall is an evil corporate empire.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
TS, most of these people are naming good amps but with the broad range of tones you need, you'll probably end up disappointed with a Classic 30 or a DSL.

I say go for a used Line 6 Vetta. It's an amazing modeling amp with ****loads of good tones and effects, plus you have a good degree of control over them. The DSL might get you a metal tone but i won't get you close to the sound of a Mesa Mark IIC+ for Puppets, nor will it give you the Plexi sound of Hey Joe. Not to mention that you will have to spend more money on pedals anyway.

Unless your a valve purist, then you'll love this amp.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Bugera v55? I like the look of that.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

For a simple valve amp with a good range of tones Laney VC30+OD
For everything together a USED Line6 vetta combo - Nothing comes close at that price for versatility, but they're £1000+ new
Really, the DSL401 isn't that good stock (IMO), and it's still quite expensive ( Though with some work it can be made much better). I'd take a laney or a classic 30 over one.
Quote by wilmearz
I would say the dsl401 MAY (stress may) not have have enough gain for you. (I have owned one for a few years now) For the the higher gain genres you have mentioned it might need a boost of some sort. Otherwise it sounds like a good choice as it is versityle and good value for money.

Definately try some amps out. I would also say the laney vc and peavey classics have far less gain than the dsl and can't really pull off even guns n roses sort of gain levels without a boost.

Happy hunting

edit: Would you consider buying used? If so, definately Check out the marshall jcm800 and 900's. probs 900 in your case.

edit 2: even if the dsl401 is a combo it's still pretty weighty!

Okay, it looks like I'm going to have to save a bit more now...

Here are some ads I found locally, let me know what yous think? Thanks.

Vox Ad100VT, used, £210
Fender Skx 100, usedr, £100
Marshall avtx275 combo, used, £205
marshall valvestate 80 watt combo, used, £90

I'm not sure whether any of these are still available, but if they are, thoughts?

TYVM.