I have the head + 1x12 cab and opened it up
to find a celestion seventy 80 in it. Not bad.

Any of you put a v30 or something else in it?

Or have you plugged the head or combo
into different cabs with different speakers?

What results did you get?

I did not go with the combo because
the 1x12 sounded better to me.

Thanks.
Take a gander on youtube.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
looks like a low wattage amp. ~4/5 watts or so. depending on the target tone you can definitely upgrade the speaker to fit it. usually amps like yours come with something like a celestion alnico blue in it. if you want it more like a 50's style small combo i'd go with some kinda low wattage jenson alnico speaker, it'll give you some nice buttery smooth tones.

for harsher tones you may want to go more in the arena of a g12M-25 or so, but amps like this do respond to speaker changes quite dramatically. my personal tastes would match a weber alnico blue dog 12" rated 15 watts to this amp(god rest Ted Weber).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
looks like a low wattage amp. ~4/5 watts or so. depending on the target tone you can definitely upgrade the speaker to fit it. usually amps like yours come with something like a celestion alnico blue in it. if you want it more like a 50's style small combo i'd go with some kinda low wattage jenson alnico speaker, it'll give you some nice buttery smooth tones.

for harsher tones you may want to go more in the arena of a g12M-25 or so, but amps like this do respond to speaker changes quite dramatically. my personal tastes would match a weber alnico blue dog 12" rated 15 watts to this amp(god rest Ted Weber).

4-5 watt amps with Alnico Blues? They're like 300 Euroes each...
thats the way it worked back in the 50's and such. in the states it was more like jenson alnico 5... 6? something like that, the reason was that there wasn't too much else. my 50's kay has a jenson in it, it was by no-means so kinda top-of-the-line-deluxe-model or anything, just that jenson was about it for speakers back then. it's kinda like how 50's and 60's amps had badass tubes in them like rca, mullard, sylvania, etc. it's cuz they didn't have crappy tubes back then, or at least all these tubes were readily available and priced to sell so why get crappy tubes.

thats why it's called: "The Good 'Ol Days"

-ae
I don't own one but I tried a head through a 2X12 cab loaded with Alnico Blues. It sounded awesome. Only dowside is the cab cost more than the amp by a lot. You could get a Scumback or Weber clone instead though and it would be a bit cheaper. I wouldn't put a V30 in one though, it just wouldn't be right. ^Actually the reason for that would be a huge military surplus in materials from WWII resulting in low prices for military grade materials along with tubes being the state of the art technology. Since we haven't had a huge war since then, there's no reason for the military to produce ridiculous amounts of materials and tubes are practically extinct.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Since it's such a small amp I think a Blue might be a bit too lean in the bass. I'd use a greenback or a clone thereof. Voxes tend to like those speakers.
I tried one today (loved it!) through a couple of speakers. I think an Alnico ould work really well, gets you some nice Vox sizzle. Otherwise I agree with what Colin said, a Greenback or a G12H would work really well. From my experience the G12H speakers works very well with smaller EL84 amps if you want to fatten them up but still keep a good attack (that's why it's perfect for an 18watter).

Where do you live? If you are in the US Warehouse Speakers are a great choice if you're on a budget or for a bit more you can get a Weber Speakers (RIP Ted Weber)
If you are in Europe I recommend Appian Acoustics for some Celestions for decent prices.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by mmolteratx
^Actually the reason for that would be a huge military surplus in materials from WWII resulting in low prices for military grade materials along with tubes being the state of the art technology. Since we haven't had a huge war since then, there's no reason for the military to produce ridiculous amounts of materials and tubes are practically extinct.

sure is. that is one reason those 60's amps are so sought after, certain parts will never be as good again. in order to be a govt supplier back then you had to meet some hefty endurance and QA standards that will never again be matched on those types of components. it's why tubes, transformers and the such sounded so great back then.

-ae
G12H-30 it's like a cross between a V30 and a greenback. it's like all the beefyness of the greenback with the articulation and attack of the V30.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
G12H-30 it's like a cross between a V30 and a greenback. it's like all the beefyness of the greenback with the articulation and attack of the V30.

Not at all. The H30 is it's own breed. Basically it's a Greenback, but with a beefed up magnet it gets a throatier and fatter tone.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

are we talking about the same speaker? becuase i know there is a heritage 12H-30 and the regular G12H-30. are you talking about the one with the gold back? or the green back?
there are multiple things that can be meant by a G12H-30. but all of them come back to a version of the G12M-20 they made back in the 60's that used a 50 oz ceramic magent instead of the 35 oz. magnet in the M, think they also reinforced the respective components to raise power handling to 30 watts. it was called a g12h-30, they made one version for bass and another for guitar. the vintage 30 didn't come til at least late 80's? early 90's? but now celestion realeases 2 version of the H, the chinese 'anniversary' G12H-30, and then the "60's spec" heritage g12H-30.

but they are all voiced roughly in the same realm, which is heavier in the low end. most descriptions of tone for any version of the speaker involves the word 'syrupy'(i must agree with them too, i've have actually gotten to play with g12h's from the 60's, the chinese g12h, and the heritage g12h in a custom cab). all versions of the speaker use the 50 oz ceramic magnet.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
are we talking about the same speaker? becuase i know there is a heritage 12H-30 and the regular G12H-30. are you talking about the one with the gold back? or the green back?

Yes we are. I mean both H30s. The V30 was a speaker that came out in the 90's. It's based of an Alnico Blue (they even have the same frequency response), but because of it's ceramic magnet and higher tolerance it doesn't get the compression that the Alnico Blue does. Instead it sounds very harsh....

Quote by gumbilicious
there are multiple things that can be meant by a G12H-30. but all of them come back to a version of the G12M-20 they made back in the 60's that used a 50 oz ceramic magent instead of the 35 oz. magnet in the M, think they also reinforced the respective components to raise power handling to 30 watts. it was called a g12h-30, they made one version for bass and another for guitar. the vintage 30 didn't come til at least late 80's? early 90's? but now celestion realeases 2 version of the H, the chinese 'anniversary' G12H-30, and then the "60's spec" heritage g12H-30.

but they are all voiced roughly in the same realm, which is heavier in the low end. most descriptions of tone for any version of the speaker involves the word 'syrupy'(i must agree with them too, i've have actually gotten to play with g12h's from the 60's, the chinese g12h, and the heritage g12h in a custom cab). all versions of the speaker use the 50 oz ceramic magnet.

Exactly
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band