Before I start I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but couldn't see a better place for it, soo...

Ok so recently I've noticed that my guitar has been going out of tune loads faster than it has been previously. I noticed this while playing in standard D (It does it in other tunings too), and after about 5 minutes it sounded higher than it did after I first tuned it, so whats causing it!?

I play a Fender Starcaster strat, strings have never been changed, had it for just over a year, but I don't really play it every day, could the strings be the problem? If so, how do I go about changing them? I've never done anything like that before and am probably scared of messing up lol

If anyone could help out a poor guitar newb like me out I'd be ever so grateful, Thanks!
uh strings are absolutely the first problem, second is that your guitar is a starcaster so id change that as soon as possible. get a guitar you didnt pay 100 bucks for
Dean Razorback
Fender Strat
Epiphone SG Bass Short Scale
Walden D351 Acoustic
Digitech RP250
SHS 180 Watt
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
I know this guy who ruined a romantic moment with his girl by saying "I want your hole".
Yep, you need to change strings. Bring it to a shop and ask them to do it in front of you, or just check out some youtube vids. It won't be easy starting out but it's gotta be done!
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
if you play it an hour a day you should change them at least every two to three months, i change mine every 3 weeks but i also play a lot more often
Dean Razorback
Fender Strat
Epiphone SG Bass Short Scale
Walden D351 Acoustic
Digitech RP250
SHS 180 Watt
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
I know this guy who ruined a romantic moment with his girl by saying "I want your hole".
Holy cow how could you even have your strings on for a full year? I've been playing for 10 months and I've already spent 200 euros on strings or something, I just can't stand the sound and feel of "old strings". I change them every 2 or 3 weeks.
Last edited by Eryth at Aug 20, 2009,
Yeah, what the420guitarist said, maybe change the Fender Starcaster.
Maybe if you stretch the strings a bit, but not too much because they'll snap. This will reduce the effect of your strings going out of tune. You should definitely do this when you re-string your guitar.
First of all change those strings!!!
Another problem is you might have bad gears that wanna turn the other way (This is VERY RARE, this is probably not your problem but there is a very small chance it could be.)
First Change the strings.
If that doesnt work, check to see if the string is fitted properly. If its not you could be just stretching the string when you tune causing it to untune itself.
If all else fails, take it to a guitar shop or your guitar instructor.
Hope I helped
Ok, cheers for the fast responses! Yeah I havent upgraded yet cause i wanted to be able to play a few songs straight through before I invested some cash into it (Im tight lol). Not changed them before now either cause I'm only a beginner still really.

I've heard stuff like gauge and stuff are a factor with strings, whats roughly the best for playing in standard and D?
Last edited by TurnTo11 at Aug 20, 2009,