i need help understanding how to do this. i have no clue how to do this. i need help. i know a good amount of theory to understand. help?
Quote by notaclevername
i need help understanding how to do this. i have no clue how to do this. i need help. i know a good amount of theory to understand. help?

I'll try to help. If you can answer this, I'll lead you to the next step.

Can you spell a D Major scale?

Anyone that knows a good amount of theory could do that. ( and actually you have to be able to do that to understand chord construction).

If you can't do that yet it's okay.... just spend some time on Major scale construction & intervals. Then come back to chord construction when you're ready.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 20, 2009,
^what he(guitarmunky) said.

In short, chords are made by stacking intervals. Your "normal" chords (major, minor, etc) are made by stacking 3rds (every other note in a scale), you can do the same idea with 4ths, 5ths, add in/substitute a note that's not in the basic stack, use voicings/inversions (different notes in the bass), shells (missing less important notes out), and so on.

But yeah, you'll need to know your major scale to do that lot, and how each note therein works to establish the tonic.
Quote by notaclevername
yeah the d major scale goes d-e-f#-g-a-b-c#

Okay, the formula for a Major triad (Major chord) is 1 3 5

that means the 1st, 3rd, & 5th note of a particular Major scale = the Major triad of the same name.

based on that, how would you spell a D Major triad?

The formula for a minor triad is 1 b3 5

this means that the 1st, b3, & 5th note of a particular Major scale = the minor triad of the same name.

* b3 = 3 lowered by 1 half step. So in the case of D Major the b3 = F

based on that how would you spell a D minor triad?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by notaclevername
so i take thirds of a scale and it makes it? and with other ones too?

1 step at a time...

can you answer those 2 questions in my last post?

If that makes sense we can take it further
shred is gaudy music
Quote by notaclevername
i think d-f#-a?

and minor would be d-f-a

There you go.

Here is a formula chart for commonly used chords....

http://www.discoverguitaronline.com/images/view/51

You can find any chord, if you can spell it's Major scale, and apply these formulas.

You can also follow the stacked 3rd formulas, but I would start this way, and make sure you can do it easily and consistently.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by notaclevername
well thanks. i get it now and hopefully can further what i know.

NP, glad to help. I'm sure you will be able to take it further.
shred is gaudy music
GuitarMunky, seeing you help TS in this way made me feel good inside. Furthermore, seeing TS genuinely be interested and willing to comply with you made me feel even better. This is how the community of guitarists should behave together.

I'm aware that this post is "off-topic", but GuitarMunky has already effectively answered the question posed by TS.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
GuitarMunky, seeing you help TS in this way made me feel good inside. Furthermore, seeing TS genuinely be interested and willing to comply with you made me feel even better. This is how the community of guitarists should behave together.

I'm aware that this post is "off-topic", but GuitarMunky has already effectively answered the question posed by TS.

GuitarMunky helping someone isn't surprising to me. He's always doing that, as are most of the regulars. What made this work when other threads don't is the TS. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.