I have a red G400 and I want it to look unique. I was thinking of removing the neck pickup entirely (I don't use it as I replaced the bridge pickup and that's all I use) and purchasing an SG-X pickguard to cover up the hole. I would then find someone to paint it this color:

Yea or Nay?
Personally I would leave it as it is, but it's your guitar, do what you want with it.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Would look pretty sweet, and definitely original, but a paint job can get pretty damn expensive, if you're paying someone to do it. If you're comfortable enough, and you have a safe space to do so, you could try refinishing it yourself, that could end really badly though. Regardless, if you ever decide to do it you have to post pics.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I'm all for the color change, I like the seafoam green.
But keep the pickups as they are. You never know when you'll want to use the neck pup again, then you'll be bummed..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Personally I would leave it as it is, but it's your guitar, do what you want with it.

It looks good now but the thing is I have a faded SG that I intend to leave stock. This one isn't worth much and might be fun to toy around with since I can't find any nice SG-X's for cheap.
then id reccomend doin it yourself. especially if you have a backup. this forum provides all the knowledge you need to do pretty much anything with guitars :S
~Defiant~
I say Nay. Personally not a big fan of that pic you posted.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
After all those changes, you would've spent more money on you Epi than your Gibson. It won't look like a smart idea in a lot of peoples' eyes, but it's your guitar. It would look cool, but you already have a better guitar.
Go for it, I love an odd coloured SG.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Why don't you paint the guitar that colour, and buy the pickguard, but cut it so that you can leave the neck pickup in?

Cam Sampbell's my hero
don't think you'll cover all the routing.
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
Absolutely not.

The neck pickup is more useful than you'd think. Of course, the one in there now is spongy and mushy sounding to my ears.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Tokai have stardted doing SG Juniors. If you are happy with a P-90 (I would be!) you could probably get one for around $200 (They are £200 here in the UK). It just seems it may be more hassle than you need.
Quote by drewfromutah
I was afraid of this.

and you'd need to relocate a knob. also, the single pickup is closer to the neck, so with the bridge pickup further from the neck it may not look right.
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper