I know this is a subject that gets discussed often, but hopefully I have a new question...

My question is this. As us guitarists often do, we strive for speed but also looseness in our picking hand. When I was picking, I noticed I keep my fingers seperated from each other, as in picture one. However, what this does is that my thumb and index are given mobility, so even though my wrist is moving, my fingers also move independently when picking. I know there are several guitarists that pick from their fingers rather than wrists, this is sort of a hybrid of that.

What I'm wondering is that am I sacrificing proper form for extra mobility or perceived comfort. Even though it feels rigid right now, should I keep my picking hand as shown in pic 2? With all the fingers touching, there is friction keeping my index finger from moving freely, so most motion ends up coming from the wrist.

So to sum it up, which way should I keep my picking hand? Will it ever matter, and should I do what feels most comfortable?

EDIT: Keep in mind that in neither picture am I anchoring. I no longer place any part of my picking hand on the guitar.
Attachments:
pickin hand 001.jpg
pickin hand 002.jpg
Last edited by fnmpm at Aug 20, 2009,
in my opinion do whatever is most comfortable
It's not what guitar to buy. It's what guitar to buy first.
But whats comfortable now may be detrimental in the long run. A lot of people consider anchoring to be comfortable, but its clearly bad for your picking hand.
dont worry about it. anchoring is not even a problem. as long as you are loose its fine. michael romeo, john petrucci, mab, etc etc all anchor and i would consider them top-tier players. there is no real evidence to suggest anchoring matters at all, just a bunch of ultimate-guitar hivemind on the subject.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by jordanzio
dont worry about it. anchoring is not even a problem. as long as you are loose its fine. michael romeo, john petrucci, mab, etc etc all anchor and i would consider them top-tier players. there is no real evidence to suggest anchoring matters at all, just a bunch of ultimate-guitar hivemind on the subject.

Here we go again.

Dude, there are comparable and better players who don't anchor. And the reason so many people here on UG are against anchoring is because it increases the tension in your wrist unnecessarily. That can be bad in the long run, especially considering that it takes only a few days to a couple of weeks for most people to fix an anchoring habit.
For the record: I DON'T ANCHOR.

This thread is not about anchoring, I used to anchor, and I realized that it wasn't good for me, so I switched. This is more about where my fingers should be in relation to each other. Extended, curled in, etc...
0......I think you should really work on hybrid picking since it seems to me like it's something most people don't bother to learn even though there are some really cool things you can do with it.
anyway, just learn do play both ways. Those two positions are pretty much exactly how I pick: when I'm doing things with my fingers, and when I'm just picking.
I'm in the second position there pretty much all of the time.

I like to hybrid, so it only makes sense to me.
your fingers look really tense in the first picture. i'd say picture 2 is ur best choice. i pick that way and it works for me. i've been able to pick really fast nowadays from playing that way, but also because i've learned how to not tense up.
Whatever is comfortable is best.

Neither way you pictured is comfortable to me, I let my fingers relax and straighten a bit more as curling them in creates unwanted tension in my hands, which equals a non relaxed feel which I can't stand. Also when I curl them in I tend to graze the hig e at times which is a no no in my book.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I figured out what the real problem was this morning after watching FP's picking analysis video. In pic number one, my index and thumb aren't bound by my middle and other 2 fingers, so I naturally revert to using what is called "circle picking". I dont actually pick in a circle, but I noticed I predominantly use the joints in my thumb and index finger to create pick movement. In pic 2, my fingers are stuck together, so I have to start using more of translation. This is uncomfortable for me because 1) my hand gets sweaty ( and 2) I just like the freedom of using 2 fingers as opposed to the entire wrist. The wrist movement feels clunky and inefficient.

Anyone want to weigh in on whether "circle" picking is good or bad?