im replacing the speakers in a 4X12 Peavey XXL cab, they are blue marvel 16 ohm speakers, i am replacing them with two celestion V30 and two greenbacks that are both 8 ohm speakers. i was wondering if i can just swap them out and have it work or will i have to rewire the cab.
No you can't. My guess is that the four 16 ohm speakers are wired in parallel to make a 4 ohm cab. repace these with 8's and you will have a 2 ohm cab which may damage your amp. you need to wire them in series/parallel (google this) to make an 8 ohm cab. this will reduce the power from a transistor amp and if you have a tube amp you will have to adjust for the new impedance. The speakers may not match the volume of your cab.

sorry
would this be right then
thanks

Quote by Phil Starr
No you can't. My guess is that the four 16 ohm speakers are wired in parallel to make a 4 ohm cab. repace these with 8's and you will have a 2 ohm cab which may damage your amp. you need to wire them in series/parallel (google this) to make an 8 ohm cab. this will reduce the power from a transistor amp and if you have a tube amp you will have to adjust for the new impedance. The speakers may not match the volume of your cab.

sorry
Attachments:
SPEAKERS.JPG
I think that is Parallel wiring which won't work.

See if this helps

just follow the formula...something tells me 8 ohm speakers are not going to work, but I haven't run the numbers yet.

Edit: Have someone else check it but Series-Parallel wiring like this first diagram might work. The one that says Total Load = 8 ohms.

See the formula at the bottom of this one? I think 4 - 8 ohm speakers run in parallel would give you 2 ohms. 4 - 8 ohms speakers run in series would give you 32. Neither of which will work. V30s and Greenbacks should be available in 16 ohms.

Edit 2: Maybe that is what you drew already - so yes I 'think' that would work.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 27, 2009,
hey thanks alot to everyone on this thread, i think i have it, im still waiting for the greenbacks to show up in the mail (backorder) but hopefully it will work and sound good !..!,