My drummer is complaining that our setlist is too long, but its only 45 minutes, and I think if anything it should be longer...at our last show when we finished people thought we were halfway done and taking a quick break...so what do you guys think?
my bands set is 8 songs and about an hour long. pretty much standard for most bands
Harlington - Indie/Progressive/Hard Rock

Live Rig:
Gibson SG
Boss RT-20 Rotary Pedal
Fender Supersonic
yeah my first concert with my last band last hour+
we also were supposed to have a little breake, but we didnt.. and played the songs... it last around hour and 2/5... then we improvised some songs... I even started singing with lyrics writing on air... and it was pretty cool

and it's your 3rd so it'll be better to add more songs...

May i also add that that concert i was talking about was with only Me: Solo Guitar/Harmonica and Vocals and my friend:Rhythm Guitar/Piano and backing vocals

we'd do longer set if we'd be with a full band (for us it'd be 4 piece band) but the thing is that we reallysounded full and it was nice... (note that you got a drumer so ... rock one :headbang

Hehe
Are you the only band playing? If so, that is a bit short. Most solo band shows are at least two hours, usually three. If your a opener, it depends on how its set up. for three bands or four, openers can get any where from 30mins to an hour. If thats the case, you are right on point.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by yourbelovednick
my bands set is 8 songs and about an hour long. pretty much standard for most bands

That may be standard for the genre your band plays in, 8 songs in 60 minutes = average 7 minutes per song. That wouldn't be the same for a pop band where the average song is 3-4 minutes long.

It's really better just to time your set and see how long it is. Once done add another 15% or so for stuff you do in between songs.

So is your set list too long? A band should strive to get as much material as you can, you make the set lists according to what the gig demands. If you are able to play 4 hours, you can play 15 minutes. Your drummer is limiting himself if he believes that a set list should be a certain length - the band's focus should be on polishing old material and learning new. 45 minutes is a short length for an entire album now.

It should be noted however;

The average hard working covers band will play 2-4 hours worth of music each gig.
The average hard working originals band will play 1 hours worth of music each gig.

EDIT: I just noticed that you have control over the length of the set. This is rare. Do what length you feel comfortable with.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Aug 20, 2009,