Alright so here's the deal, I currently have a peavey 6505 half stack set up and I love it but the only problem is that I moved out into an apartment and well its too big to put in my room. My dilemma is that I don't know if I should be a new smaller combo amp or get a new cab only (a 1x12 for example). I really like the tube sound but i don't want to put too much money into a new amp since i already have a good one. Basically my needs are an amp that is 30-50ish watts that is tube-based and that is max 650$ to play music like metal/punk rock type music.

I would like amp suggestions for the new combo and I also i would like input on whether i should just get a new cab or get a new combo amp.

I know a 6505 head in a bedroom will be overkill but i already have it so i was just wondering, thanks.
-ESP LTD H-400
-Peavey 6505
-Ibanez TS808,Boss NS-2,Boss TU-2
Well I have a Orange Thunderverb 50w with a 1x12 and it still could blow out my windows. And 6505's have a rep of needing to be really cranked. So I dont think a smaller cab will help too much. No first hand experience with trying different cabs with a 6505 tho. I'd say a line 6 spider valve combo. Shut up haters I know your comments r coming. "If its not the real thing it sucks", get your head out of your butt! Sure for a record never use modeling, but this is bedroom practice.

Sorry just had to cover my bases. Try out a spider valve and see what you think
Quote by lespaul90
Well I have a Orange Thunderverb 50w with a 1x12 and it still could blow out my windows. And 6505's have a rep of needing to be really cranked. So I dont think a smaller cab will help too much. No first hand experience with trying different cabs with a 6505 tho. I'd say a line 6 spider valve combo. Shut up haters I know your comments r coming. "If its not the real thing it sucks", get your head out of your butt! Sure for a record never use modeling, but this is bedroom practice.

Sorry just had to cover my bases. Try out a spider valve and see what you think

With 650 he can prob get a Flextone, which is better,

Spider Valve is still good though.
a7xrocks02,

Yeah but there is a definite plus to the spider valve having tubes. Once you get used to tube tone and know how to distinguish it from solid state (101- Solid state amps tend to have a much more nasally midrange and lack certain harmonics depending on the amp) there's no going back.
Bedroom practice? For tubes, the Blackstar HT-5, Dr. Z mini Z, or Zvex nano are quite eye catching. The only two that can really do metal are the Dr. Z and HT-5 (both need an OD or boost to do heavy stuff, though). Solid state or digital could be options, though.
Not exactly what you were asking for but hear me out. Just the ENGL e530 (or other similar preamps for that matter) has a headphone out with poweramp and cab simulation and will do the clean/rock/heavy deal. If you want to use a cabinet, you can hook it up as is with the built in 5w poweramp or something, or you could hook it up to a cheap SS poweramp like the rocktron velocity. tube preamp, SS poweramp.

Just a thought, would cost about 650.

Alternatively, just turn down the volume on the peavey or invest in an attenuator

If you're not hellbent on tubes, Line6 Vetta would be my choice.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 20, 2009,
A Marshall 1987x is a great bedroom practice amp, especially if you have neighbours who complain about noise.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
A Marshall 1987x is a great bedroom practice amp, especially if you have neighbours who complain about noise.

Especially if you want to get distortion with it.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
thanks for the input although i doubt that my local music store will have some of these amps i will check out what they have and keep in mind these excellent suggestions.
-ESP LTD H-400
-Peavey 6505
-Ibanez TS808,Boss NS-2,Boss TU-2
Blackstar HT-5 is a good bedroom amp from what ive heard
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?