New recordings of our latest songs. criticism is always appreciated:

www.myspace.com/apenatural

C4C
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Last edited by MattsRichardson at Aug 24, 2009,
Hey man, I wasn't sure which ones I was supposed to be critiqueing so I just picked two at random...the dream and think.

Think was my favourite of the two and I really liked it, I thought it was nice and catchy with some nice guitar work, however, in terms of production the vocals are quite low in the mix. I think you need to bring them up and try and get your vocalist to enunciate the words more clearly.

The dream had a nice verse, however again I thought the vocals were too low in the mix and a bit muffled. In addition to this in the chorus (around 45 seconds in) I think the guitar tones need tweaking a bit. The distorted chords I think you need to reduce some of the mids and bring them up in the mix a bit and roll off the high end slightly for the lead bit. That said these are only minor tweaks, again I thought the song was really good and even though I'm a metalhead by nature, I was pleasantly surprised to hear something different. Also, the drum fill solo thing is really cool!
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
I'm really liking the songs, especially Think. It really builds up towards the end, and it's pretty uplifting I think. It's got a really tight groove, I like that. Everythings good, instrumentals sound good, and the vocals have a lot of feeling. I do think that the bass could be turned up a bit, and that it might benefit the song (regarding that groove), but being a bassist myself, I might just be biased.
Hold Me is also a really good tune. The keys and the guitar play off of eachother quite nicely. The soaring vocals make it kind of spacey, which I also like.
Overall, you've got a really nice sound here. Definitely a feel-good band. I look forward to hearing more
EXPECTO PATRONUM!!!

Quote by Gunpowder
I know another racially insensitive scientific term. "Dark matter." Science, please! Dark people do matter!

Quote by InvaderTSN
What is this.....sarcasm? Some form of french toast?
Quote by TheFallen1328
I'm really liking the songs, especially Think. It really builds up towards the end, and it's pretty uplifting I think. It's got a really tight groove, I like that. Everythings good, instrumentals sound good, and the vocals have a lot of feeling. I do think that the bass could be turned up a bit, and that it might benefit the song (regarding that groove), but being a bassist myself, I might just be biased.
Hold Me is also a really good tune. The keys and the guitar play off of eachother quite nicely. The soaring vocals make it kind of spacey, which I also like.
Overall, you've got a really nice sound here. Definitely a feel-good band. I look forward to hearing more

Generally yes i would say turn up the bass but our bassist (Huge Douche) messes up all the time so yea but we are going to be playing around with some new bassists soon. and he isnt very creative unfortunately, he just seems to play the root note except on 'The Dream' and thats only because i wrote the bass line for him...not to gloat or anything ha ha. but thank you for the feedback man
Last edited by MattsRichardson at Aug 28, 2009,
the dream is very good, catchy riff. my only complaint is backup vocals in chorus, its a good chorus, but i think the pitch on the backup is a little off..overall you guys got some really good tunes. I recommend you all start saving for a better recording setup
Last edited by thec0dy at Aug 21, 2009,
I checked out hold me: i like the piano intro! great sound. for some reason the intro reminded me of like a weird mix of weezer meatloaf and journey. the singer could be a little more in key at points (he seems to have trouble with the high notes) maybe try getting him to really yell it a little more? i love the instruments, although you do have a bit off a muddy mix going on. maybe bring up the treble?
Too cool for a signature.
hey man i liked all of the songs i thought they were very well done but my favorite has to be take my hand i liked that song the best it had a good acoustic riff and vocals were good to
Hi Matt.. I tried to get to your music but it says I need a new flash player.. but I am on someone elses machine so I am not going to download anything.. when I get home this evening I will give you a listen and some thoughts..

I accidentally dropped this message to you in my own post.. I wish this site had a delete button..

At any rate.. I'll be back with you..
Quote by chrisatgrace
I checked out hold me: i like the piano intro! great sound. for some reason the intro reminded me of like a weird mix of weezer meatloaf and journey. the singer could be a little more in key at points (he seems to have trouble with the high notes) maybe try getting him to really yell it a little more? i love the instruments, although you do have a bit off a muddy mix going on. maybe bring up the treble?

hmmm i actually did bring up the treble on that one :/ ah well ill try some tweaking with it
I really like Take My Hand and the guitar parts over the vocals in the chorus of The Dream amuse me too, however, the HUGE drum fill in that song, seems a bit unnecessary, to be honest.
But I could see myself buying an album of yours if ever you release one in full, be sure to PM me if ever this is the case.

Also, Hold Me is a pretty good song too, really like the piano part in it

"Ape Natural is your best friend. You love Ape Natural. Tell all of your friends about Ape Natural. Never stop listening to Ape Natural. You want to sleep with the members of Ape Natural"
Love this part, btw
Last edited by Son.Of.TheViper at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I really like Take My Hand and the guitar parts over the vocals in the chorus of The Dream amuse me too, however, the HUGE drum fill in that song, seems a bit unnecessary, to be honest.
But I could see myself buying an album of yours if ever you release one in full, be sure to PM me if ever this is the case.

Also, Hold Me is a pretty good song too, really like the piano part in it

Will Do. We need to get some more material written and find a new bassist unless ours decides to stop being a douche. and the drum solo probably should have been left out in the recording (in my opinion) but all my other band members wanted to keep it in. i personally think it would have just been better in the live version.
thanks for the crit though
Very cool and unique. Liking the name too very different.
Currently loving the inclusion of the keyboard and laidback atmosphere thats been created by the vocals in Think!
My fave of the tracks however is Dream.
Seriously I havent really heard anything that sounds like your band and so I think with a little persistence you could really make this band pay off so keep it up!
I've been here since '04.

Incredible stuff, i really like your vocalist! got a great voice for this sort of music, not a traditional voice but it works really well.

Think is fantastic, dream is good too, the others don't reach the same level of goodness in my opinion. Think is actually incredible though. Love the keys as well. basically you guys have got it going on! The ska/reggae kinks style bit in think oh god too cool.

If you want to listen to my music (link in sig) then please go ahead and crit me. I've just uploaded a new track :P

my stuff is more like a musical stream of conciousness, but still i am trying to do something which is very different like you.
Dude you would love Q and Not U, and also colossal.

Listen to Soft Pyramids by q and not u

and the 1/5 compromise by colossal.

Your band reminds me of those two songs a lot.

Killer sound. You guys must be awesome live.
I listened to Think.

I like it a lot. The guitar is good, I like the riffs a lot. Vocals are pretty good too, they could use a little work, maybe bring them up a little higher in the mix. I like how it changed at around 2:20. Very cool little song, man.

And thanks for the crit.
OH LAAWDDYY!!!!
Hey man, I checked out some of your band's jams. They're pretty chill and a good listen.

I like Think alot, especially at the end it really picks up. There are certain parts where the vocals get a bit drown out by the instruments, but it's not so bad that it takes away from the songs. I would like to hear the vox a little clearer, at points it sounds like I'm listening to them underwater.

Other than that, it's awesome. Good work, very cool.
cool songs man
The Dream" is pretty sweet
Quote by angusfan16
I got ass-raped but your story beats mine.

My Gear:
Ibanez SA 240FM
Marshall Modell 8100
The Dream - excellent first impression, lovely tone and quality of recording is great. The lead guitar tone, perhaps a bit peircing for my liking, but great nonetheless. Really like the phrases dropped in between vocal sections! The singing was decent in verses, but much better in the chorus - probably helped by the backup vocals, which made it sound much thicker. Love the drum solo, and the piano section is great as well. Vocals don't sound in tune at places here however. Great ending. Lead guitar was great all the way through. I like the rhythmic drive toward the end.

Think - Once again, great opening. Vocals seem better in this song - more comfortable and more confident. I really like the general vibe of this track. Loving the ska switch! Once again, voice sounds great. Would have been nice to hear a bit of harmonisation in places maybe? Probably the better track overall.

Both were fantastic. I shall be checking out more of this - great stuff!

Cheers for checking my tune out, by the way.
You have a good variety of sounds in these songs, but still sticking to the same overall sound... If that makes any sense. All the songs have their own thing going on, which is great. You make me wish I had a keyboardist haha.

I liked the guitar fills in The Dream along with the solo type thing going on in In The Dark. Overall I like the feel, it... for lack of better words; feels good on my brain.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
I liked the piano. most bands don't have piano as one of the main lead/rhythm instruments. it added to the feel of the song. whoever the singer is has quite a bit of talent but some of the louder/higher notes seemed to be a bit shrill. maybe he could hold back a little bit or pull the mic away a little bit so it isn't as harsh. 'i wasn't who i thought i was' seemed a bit cliche to me but maybe im just not into that style of a song/music.
hey thanks for the suggestion — it could be a lot more powerful in the end huh? Maybe it's a good time to practice my yelling vocals haha. I checked out a few of your bands songs, they're pretty good man. It seems like there is some good chemistry going on, and I think you have definitely found your style. Like others have said, "Think" is a good tune — melodic and energetic enough to keep everybody interested without sacrificing the calm/chilled style of your music. As for me, I don't have a MySpace anymore, just this UG site. But it looks like your MySpace is doing quite well!
The production on your guys sounds are great. The clean guitar tones are really nice. I have a bitch of a time with clean tones. They work for certain things and not others I can never get the right one. you guys keep it up, it sounds great.
LOL@UR GERE!!!1 HURRZ MINE!
Customized Gibson Explorer (Alternative 8)
LTD mp-600
Charvel/Esp hybrid (Alnico 2 pro)
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Coming Soon: EngL StH Limited Edition
Hi, thanks for the crit... i can never get the myspace player to work on my cpu... so i will crit the two on ur profile page.

Hold me - I like the singer's voice, sounds really 70s/80s rockish... i like it!
Nice pleasant chord progression used here, with nice fingerpicking on guitars
Nice song, not too long... and good to listen to

Think - Guitar and piano blend together nicely.
Singer is good, fits nicely with music.

The only thing that scares me is... you're only one year older than me! :S

Keep it up!
AJ
Thanks for the crit

Ok so, I listened to "Take My Hand."
To me, the vocalist sounds kind of out of tune throughout the song, and it's a little bit annoying...
The song was a little boring for the first two thirds (just not really my kind of music), but the choruses sounded good, what with the distorted guitar and everything. And then, around 210, the song kind of breaks down and goes into that guitar solo, and that's when things really started to get interesting.
But yeah, not a bad song overall, and it really goes out with a bang. Nice work.
If man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, then the Devil is 6, the Devil is 6,
And if the Devil is 6,

then God is 7, then God is 7, then God is 7
This monkey's gone to heaven.
I'm liking the toons bro xD i love your album cover and your background its great
awesome music
The dream has to be the best one... i like the soloing guitar in the back and how the song comes togather in a dream like sound and the vocals are amazing! 5/5 makes me wanna dance man.. reminds me of a sexy dream i had... now that could go well with a spy movie lol could even picture a music video of it... surreal and ****.. nice freaking music

Ps. The ****ING DRUM SOLO!!! damn.... nice
I liked "The Dream" it certainly sounded like its name. I digged the ambient sounds and then when the vocals came in it sounded even better, I love the dropoff at 2:15. But idk about the keyboard riff that is repeated throughout the rest of the song, I think its good but would be more powerful if it wasn't ALWAYS present. Drums could be a touch louder but besides that it was really great.

C4C
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195028
Goodness gracious me!
I listened to The dream, and i thought it was a really well put together song! i only had to problems, the lead guitar I think needs some eq'ing it sounded kinda odd to me, and thte vocals at some points, mainly the softer parts, im not sure if it was the eq ing of the vocals, or what, but when your vocalist started getting louder for the fast parts and the ending the vocals sounded good, i really likedthe razy drums in the middle and how it built up after that.
I listened to a few other songs as well, and im over all impressed with your sound, i really like how your songs are kinda mellow but pick up and get heavy at some points, i really like when a band has varity, keep it up man. cheers!
Gear:
Ibanez GSZ120
Mitchell MD-100S
Roland Cube 60
Boss DD-7
I listened to "The Dream." Very good stuff there! I think the vocal harmonies could be turned down a bit, you don't want them to overpower the main vocals. I think the lead guitar is way too thin and trebly. What amp is that? Try turning up the bass and down the treble/mids. The drummer is very good, but I think the drum solo is very out of place in that song.

Other than that, I like the song a lot, very catchy!
Quote by GNRjungle87
I listened to "The Dream." Very good stuff there! I think the vocal harmonies could be turned down a bit, you don't want them to overpower the main vocals. I think the lead guitar is way too thin and trebly. What amp is that? Try turning up the bass and down the treble/mids. The drummer is very good, but I think the drum solo is very out of place in that song.

Other than that, I like the song a lot, very catchy!

The amp is a Crate halfstack. Very good for metal, but extremely lacking in the everything else department. I want to get a Peavey Classic though, and get those sweet thick blues tones.