been mostly teaching myself I can do simple 3 string sweeps clean, taping, legato, and all my string bends seem to be accurate I can alternate pick at about 100 bpm 16th notes accuratly ( at least last time I checked havent alternate picked to the metronome in a while ) havent really focused on learning songs most of what I do is just improvise with scales right now and exercises that I find online and in guitar world magazine but I can play nothing else matters by metallica and fade to black by metallica and a bunch of riffs from other songs. been worrying that I am not getting better as quickly as I should the only bad habit I have noticed is resting my palm on the bridge while playing <.< doesnt hinder my playing at all...in fact it makes my picking more accurate at higher speeds but meh...people say its bad
use the damn bridge, but other than that if you can do 3 string sweeps you're off to a good start for only 8 months. What would you say is the most difficult song/solo you can play clean?
Frets on Fire / Guitar Hero Custom Chart Creator
resting your palm on the bridge is not a bad habit.

and it sounds like you're getting along just fine. Although, I wouldn't recommend practicing sweep picking to someone who's been playing for 8 months.
It's about what it sounds like not the technique man.

Learn some songs, get confident with your rythm before learning a bunch a solo techniques.

You may be able to do all that, which is impressive for 8 months, but you could sound dreadful with a band, have no control over string noise, not be confident enough to play riffs in front of people, not keep in time with others...

Learning how to play shouldn't just be for yourself, it's about what others hear, so think from their point of view, what would they think?

Also, don't play too much, go out and party mother****er!
Quote by p o e
I hate math...

Dude, i came here to learn sex, not math.

Uncool.
You shouldn't be anywhere.

This is the first time you've ever learned to play the guitar - it's never happened before therefore there's no set precendent, it's a unique set of circumstances. What other people may or may not have done has no bearing whatsoever on what you may or may not do.

Just make sure you're not skipping past the important stuff in an effort to get "good" fast....playing faster doesn't equate to playing "better". Also focussing on exercises is the wrong thing to do, you certainly shouldn't use them to gauge your progress. The only way to gauge your progress effectively is whether the stuff you practice is actually helping you play the guitar - exercises are a means to an end but they aren't the end itself.

Nobody picks up a guitar because they want to play exercises, they pick it up because they want to play music, and until you start actually playing some songs you've got no way of knowing if you're any good or not. And bear in mind that how good you think you are is often different to how good you actually are, nobody can really tell until they hear you play, simply stating what you can do on the internet is meaningless.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 20, 2009,
well the most difficult solo I can play is the second one in fade to black I actuailly learned that one pretty quickly I just havent focused on playing other peoples songs cuz I wanna more or less get to writing my own :p and as far as my timeing and how it sounds I can pull off what I listed clean and I play the two songs I listed along with the metallica cds I have I want to learn more songs I guess I'm just to picky bout it from what I hear the fade to black ending solo is suposed to be hard.... all the finger movements are simple its just fast
To write your own songs, you need influences. You also need to practise speed riffing, alternate string picking, pinch harmonics, palm muting...

Do this by learning songs instead of with a boring metronome, Metallica is great for all of the above, and even though there are no pinch harmonics, just add them in. Otherwise, Pantera is the way to go for your squealies!

Also, the techniques you have acquired are great techniques, but only when well used and when they sound good. I hate hearing crappy tapping and string noise when people legato, etc. Make sure it sounds good.

You won't be able to jam with other people in a band if you know no songs
Quote by p o e
I hate math...

Uncool.
Quote by Eddie's'Waitor
To write your own songs, you need influences. You also need to practise speed riffing, alternate string picking, pinch harmonics, palm muting...

Do this by learning songs instead of with a boring metronome, Metallica is great for all of the above, and even though there are no pinch harmonics, just add them in. Otherwise, Pantera is the way to go for your squealies!

Also, the techniques you have acquired are great techniques, but only when well used and when they sound good. I hate hearing crappy tapping and string noise when people legato, etc. Make sure it sounds good.

You won't be able to jam with other people in a band if you know no songs

That is highly incorrect. You don't have to know songs in order to jam with people. Yes, jamming to songs can help a lot and can definitely be fun. However, you can jam to your own improvisations. If you know your scales, keys, etc, then its endless possibilities.

Also, there is no set place you should be at in 8 months. People learn differently, therefore you can't judge yourself on where you should be.

Also, the only thing you should be practicing, is your guitar. If you need to improve something, improve it. Make your music, play your guitar how you want to play it and don't worry about where you should be.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Aug 20, 2009,
i doubt that after 8 months you can really do the second fade to black solo justice. i hear it all the time, beginners claiming they can play songs only to find out that their timing is brutal, they are sloppy, cant bend to correct pitch, have no vibrato etc etc. i have a friend who constantly claims to be able to play difficult songs and he butchers every one. you need to focus not on whether you can "play" a song, but whether you can play it correctly and master it. beginners constantly claim they are some sort of fast learner but it is always the same. dont worry about where you are at, simply play the best you can play and work hard and one day you will be a very good player. that is my advice
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Yes but to develop your own improvisations you need to have influences and learn songs :P

Also, it's good to be able to say, 'Hey you guys know this one?' and play it, instead of saying, 'This is an impro in B Flat'
Quote by p o e
I hate math...

Uncool.
Quote by Eddie's'Waitor
Whasat?!

TS, to write your own songs you just need a bit of imagination - theory helps, as it makes it easier to know what notes will work well together, and what chords will work well with those notes, but essentially if you can make something up on your guitar (which you're already doing if you can improvise) you can write your own songs.

As Stephen Seagull said, don't worry about whether you are 'good enough' for how long you've been playing - just make sre you are progressing at a rate you are comfortable with, and enjoy playing.

If you can't pick properly without resting your palm on the bridge, that is called anchoring - read the section in the techniques sticky about it and make up your own mind. If you ask other people you'll just get loads of conflicting information.

One thing you haven't mentioned is chords - can you play your basic open and barre chords? If not, learn them - you'll find you'll use them loads in the future.
In short, you can't do those things you've just mentioned, or at least have no control over them. I seriously doubt you've even learnt chords properly yet. Stop treating guitar as a race, at 8 months you shouldn't even be thinking about sweeping or alt picking to a metronome. Learn how to play slow, before you learn to play fast, otherwise you're just going to suck faster.
Dont be put off by anyone kid they are just jealous haha. Remember that smoothness and good tone improve only through time and with experience. Watch out for things like hanging onto strings when there shouldnt be no bends (i see this all the time with students).

Dont neglect blues because this can give you feel and nice phrasing stuff like SRVs crossfire is good. Make sure you read music well cover a wide range of techniques not just bloody sweeps (kids are so overly obsessed with them now) and a wide range of styles. Know all the notes on the fretboard instantly, CAGED system, circle of 5ths, know your intervals instantly, sing scale notes out when you play (helps internalise note memorisation which helps with chord building, improv and soloing over certain chords). Make sure you do fingerpicking regardless if you like acoustic stuff. Just remember speed comes with patience and nothing else.

Some solos i would recommend are Nothing Else Matters, November Rain, All Right Now, The Unforgiven, Crossfire, Dani California.
Quote by Serg1
Dont be put off by anyone kid they are just jealous haha. Remember that smoothness and good tone improve only through time and with experience. Watch out for things like hanging onto strings when there shouldnt be no bends (i see this all the time with students).

Dont neglect blues because this can give you feel and nice phrasing stuff like SRVs crossfire is good. Make sure you read music well cover a wide range of techniques not just bloody sweeps (kids are so overly obsessed with them now) and a wide range of styles. Know all the notes on the fretboard instantly, CAGED system, circle of 5ths, know your intervals instantly, sing scale notes out when you play (helps internalise note memorisation which helps with chord building, improv and soloing over certain chords). Make sure you do fingerpicking regardless if you like acoustic stuff. Just remember speed comes with patience and nothing else.

Some solos i would recommend are Nothing Else Matters, November Rain, All Right Now, The Unforgiven, Crossfire, Dani California.

I memoriesed the notes on the fretbord by spending two weeks on each note finding all the places a ends up and playing all the a notes a few times each practice session and then the b notes and ect ect ect as far as bending goes I tend to be pretty anal about it after I started practicing it I spend maby an two hours a day just practicing bends ( for a few months I was practicing bout 8 hours a day not cuz I thought I had to practice but just cuz I had so much fun doing it ) and O.o I am pretty sure I do the fade to black 2nd solo alright.....I keep playing along with the cd so my timeing isnt off I know that much my whole reasion for starting this thread is my dad....he just wont stop bitching about how he put the money into getting my first guitar and doesnt think that im makeing much improvement. and as far as chords go I know all the open chords and most of the time I can do barr chords without a problem ( I has a chord referance book it helps a ton and a book that shows the major scales and the modes along with bebop scales and blues and ect ect ect it gives the spelling of the scales to) music theory is a must for me I know alotta people like to avoid it but if I can learn somethign thatll help...why not learn it? I'm actuailly pretty happy with what I can do and I only alternate pick to the metronome cuz I wanna eventuailly play neoclassical and so far as ive seen its all shredding DX so thats gonna be a while I can do pinch harmonics but I cant do it during a solo or whatever I always gotta stop and reposition my thumb or something people keep calling sweeping advanced but I didnt have much trouble with it <.< and as far as that one dude calling the metronome boring......I do all my practice to a metronome I actuailly like the tick guideing my playing and what that one dude said about playing different styles I want to be a jack of all trades type player power metal and classical are just what I want to major in
If you want to play neoclassical then being **** hot at chords is essential because thats' what everything is based round.

Pinch harmonics on the other hand aren't an essential technique at all, they're just a showboat technique for embellishing your playing. Same goes for sweeping...learn to actually play a bit before worrying about showing off.

And again, we have no idea how good you are at these things. No offence, you might think you're great but you could be complete crap and until anyone actually hears you play most people will assume the latter.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com