Page 1 of 2
Anyone else know of any war heroes that either did their job the best at whatever they specialized, or either contributed the most to the war? I'm not sure what someone could do to be declared a "war hero"

To keep things less complicated I'm looking for people similarly or just like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

After reading about him in the WWII thread, I just felt like I needed to find more people who did their job just as well.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Pernell
haha, i was about to post Simo, then i saw what you posted.

Its really too bad not much was said in his wikipedia article, I'd really like to learn more about the guy.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Funny how to be a hero in war you bravely and efficiently kill people.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Bubban

I like this guy, he stood up to officers that outranked him and proceeded to stop this whole massacre. He gets a golden star.

Don't know what else to say.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Last edited by PinoyxRockar at Aug 20, 2009,
"Mad Jack", was a British soldier who fought throughout World War II armed with a bow, arrows and a claymore.

Jack Churchill is already a badass for carrying a bow and arrow in WWII.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_York

Or the cracked.com version if you would prefer it.

Born to a family of redneck farmers from Tennessee, Alvin York spent much of his youth getting piss drunk in bars and getting into crazy barfights. When his friend got killed in one of the aforementioned barfights, he swore off the liquor, and became a pacifist. When he received his draft notice in 1917, York filed as a "conscientious objector" but was denied. They shipped his ass out to basic training.

About a year later, he was one of 17 men designated to sneak around and take out a fortified machine-gun encampment guarding a German railroad. As they were approaching, the gunners spotted them and opened fire, tearing nine of the men to pieces. The few survivors that didn't have enormous balls of steel ran away, leaving York standing there taking fire from 32 heavy machine gunners. As he said in his diary,

"I didn't have time to dodge behind a tree or dive into the brush, I didn't even have time to kneel or lie down. I had no time no how to do nothing but watch them-there German machine gunners and give them the best I had. Every time I seed a German I just touched him off. At first I was shooting from a prone position; that is lying down; just like we often shoot at the targets in the shooting matches in the mountains of Tennessee; and it was just about the same distance. But the targets here were bigger. I just couldn't miss a German's head or body at that distance. And I didn't."

After he killed the first 20 men or so, a German lieutenant got five guys together to try to take this guy from the side. York pulled out his Colt .45 (which only had eight bullets) and killed all of them with it, a practice he likened to "shoot[ing] wild turkeys back home."

At this point lieutenant Paul Jurgen Vollmer yelled out over the noise asking if York was English. See, in WWI, no one really took the Americans very seriously, and everyone thought of them as the rookies. Vollmer figured this crazy/awesome/ballsy soldier must be some kind of English superman who was showing these sissy Americans how it was done. When York said he was American, Vollmer replied "Good Lord! If you won't shoot any more I will make them give up."

Ten minutes later, 133 men came walking towards the remains of York's battalion. Lieutenant Woods, York's superior at first thought it was a German counter-attack until he saw York, who saluted and said "Corporal York reports with prisoners, sir." When the stunned officer asked how many, York replied "Honest, Lieutenant, I don't know."

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Last edited by El Hilliaro at Aug 20, 2009,
Jack Churchill.

End of story.

But I think everyone who has fought and died for their country is a war hero.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Tank Dempsey, Dr. Richtofen, Nikolai Belinski, and Takeo Masaki.
Believe it or not, but Hitler was a War Hero, he brought hope to the Germans in their time of need, and was considered a great man. Seig Heil!
XBL Gamertag:thor7861
message me you're from UG first

I can't think of anything to put here

I will say in all seriousness that Edward Henry O'Hare is definitely one because of who his father was and what they both ended up doing towards the end of their lives.
Quote by Vikingx
Don't feed the trolls....

Is that to me or about me? If it's the latter.... I've never trolled in my Internet career, that I know of. Hate them

I wouldn't have bothered to respond, but it's funny to me.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by TOOTH&NAIL
george bush...........

Another troll rears his ugly head.
Quote by SteveHouse
Is that to me or about me? If it's the latter.... I've never trolled in my Internet career, that I know of. Hate them

I wouldn't have bothered to respond, but it's funny to me.

Sure you have... you just did.

Posting inflammatory comments on a thread that is supposed to be about war hero's. If the concept of a war hero bothers you, then perhaps you shouldn't be reading this.

It's funny to me that you find it funny. I find you rather sad.

Join the military kid... then you'll realize that a war hero isn't necessarily the guy with the most kills. I know plenty of men that I consider hero's for HELPING Iraqis... not hurting them.
Last edited by Vikingx at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by columbianneckti
Believe it or not, but Hitler was a War Hero, he brought hope to the Germans in their time of need, and was considered a great man. Seig Heil!

is this not ban worthey? with that sieg heil in the end? i mean it's as offensive to poles and jews as the N-word is to black people
Every single person who's fought in conflict, the only real difference between them all is how many people they kill or save.
My setup:

Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Epiphone Les Paul Negative
VOX Valvetronix VT-30
Fulltone OCD
Boss FZ-5
Quote by SteveHouse
Funny how to be a hero in war you bravely and efficiently kill people.

No, you don't

Quote by Bubban

See?
Cyanide Drip

Quote by Myfirstpubes
you're saying that everytime someone in the Pit fapped, they produced magic? Wow, we'd be in fucking Narnia by now by the Pit's rate of masturbation.

Quote by larrytheguitar
I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.
Quote by Vikingx
Sure you have... you just did.

Posting inflammatory comments on a thread that is supposed to be about war hero's. If the concept of a war hero bothers you, then perhaps you shouldn't be reading this.

It's funny to me that you find it funny. I find you rather sad.

Join the military kid... then you'll realize that a war hero isn't necessarily the guy with the most kills. I know plenty of men that I consider hero's for HELPING Iraqis... not hurting them.

1. You don't have to be a war hero to be a hero.

2. Just because you found what I said to be inflammatory doesn't mean it was intended to be.

3. I'm pretty pacifistic. To me it doesn't matter who wins a war--people are going to die. People. Not Americans, not Saudis, not Britons, not Iraqis, not Turks, not Kurds, not Jews, not Persians. Human beings. So yes, that is what it boils down to. Most war heroes are known as such for surviving horrific battles while doing their duties--what do most soldiers do?

Don't read me as anti-troops because I know some blowhard is waiting in the wings to do so. I've got nothing but respect for somebody willing to die for what he or she believes in. I just disagree with the concept of a war hero.

SHEdit: Hugh Thompson, Jr. == BAMF and hero. Point taken.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Aug 20, 2009,
Tom Hanks.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by SteveHouse
1. You don't have to be a war hero to be a hero.

2. Just because you found what I said to be inflammatory doesn't mean it was intended to be.

3. I'm pretty pacifistic. To me it doesn't matter who wins a war--people are going to die. People. Not Americans, not Saudis, not Britons, not Iraqis, not Turks, not Kurds, not Jews, not Persians. Human beings. So yes, that is what it boils down to. Most war heroes are known as such for surviving horrific battles while doing their duties--what do most soldiers do?

Don't read me as anti-troops because I know some blowhard is waiting in the wings to do so. I've got nothing but respect for somebody willing to die for what he or she believes in. I just disagree with the concept of a war hero.

1. Obvious is obvious. I don't think that the thread was titled "Only war hero's are hero's" was it?

2. Sorry that I mistook you, but you clearly did not contribute to the thread. You just stated an opinion that was off topic.

3. I don't think that anyone here cares much about your personal beliefs. The thread was AGAIN... about war hero's, not your personal views.

4. I never said that you were anti-troop... or even implied it. I just simply pointed out how you were trolling.

Oh... and I've been in Iraq, Bosnia, and Haiti with the Marine Corps Infantry... I certainly don't consider myself to be pro-war though. Get my point?
Last edited by Vikingx at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by Vikingx

2. Sorry that I mistook you, but you clearly did not contribute to the thread. You just stated an opinion that was off topic.
How is my opinion on war heroes in a war hero thread possibly off-topic?

3. I don't think that anyone here cares much about your personal beliefs. The thread was AGAIN... about war hero's, not your personal views.
Pot, meet kettle.

4. I never said that you were anti-troop... or even implied it. I just simply pointed out how you were trolling.

I know. It's called anticipating another argument because you can tell what you've written might come off a certain way. You can call it whatever you want, but I didn't come here to piss anybody off or start any flamewars. If you really thought I was trolling... why bother responding?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Page 1 of 2