A distortion pedal, so far I see are Boss ds-1, Ibanez ds7, danelectric cd-1.. any of these good? which one should I go for?

I'm looking for a basic pedal , because my amp doesn't have distortion.. And where would be a good place to buy one and roughly how much would it cost, I live in Toronto.

I like playing post-hardcore/hardcore/rock music.
Well the boss ds-1 is a great one. realy any of the boss distortion pedals are good. But it is all about what u think about the sound. U could prob take ur amp to any guitar store that sells pedels and try out every one if u wanted.
pretty much all boss pedals are good. for distortion i like the ibanez tubescreamer and the digitech badmonkey
Quote by EasyBaker
A distortion pedal, so far I see are Boss ds-1, Ibanez ds7, danelectric cd-1.. any of these good? which one should I go for?

I'm looking for a basic pedal , because my amp doesn't have distortion.. And where would be a good place to buy one and roughly how much would it cost, I live in Toronto.

I like playing post-hardcore/hardcore/rock music.

All the ones you named are meh, what's your budget?
Also, you have a Steve's music store in Toronto, wich is a nice place to buy guitar gear
i used to own the Ibanez DS7. it was pretty good. definitely worth 40 bucks.
Quote by npguitarist86
Well the boss ds-1 is a great one. realy any of the boss distortion pedals are good. But it is all about what u think about the sound. U could prob take ur amp to any guitar store that sells pedels and try out every one if u wanted.

stock DS-1 is sh*t.

better have it modded to JCM900 mod. AKA the BritMod.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Quote by Sguit
All the ones you named are meh, what's your budget?
Also, you have a Steve's music store in Toronto, wich is a nice place to buy guitar gear

sub 100, sub 50 would be excellent. crossing the border for guitar-centre wouldn't be too hard for me either.
What kind of sound are you going for exactly? (song example)
What type of amp..and guitar?

Many players will buy a distortion when all they need is slight overdrive.

Its very common for Metal and Punk family players to hear far more distortion than there
really is. A lot of those genres are a lot cleaner than the impression they give.

A Wylde Overdrive will probably do it. Also the H&K Warp Factor gives a dirty overdrive.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 20, 2009,
What kind of amp do you have?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I've tried the Boss Ds-1, and liked it, but i haven't tried the others so i wouldn't really know
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
the ds-1 is ok 4 its price plus if u want u can always mod it. im planning on getting mine keeley modded for about $75. but it does matter wat kind of amp ur using now.
I had a DS-1 and didn't like it all, i would mod it if you get one but that will cost you a bit extra..if you dont wanna mod get the ibanez.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

Its very common for Metal and Punk family players to hear far more distortion than there
really is. A lot of those genres are a lot cleaner than the impression they give.

A Wylde Overdrive will probably do it. Also the H&K Warp Factor gives a dirty overdrive.

Why buy that when you can get practically the same thing but with the ability to mod in an SD-1 for $40? I agree with the rest of your comment though. I hate seeing people think the only way to get a good metal tone is to get a Recto and turn the gain all the way up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'd just grab a DS-1 and have it modded. There are a lot of really great mods out there and they aren't expensive.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

I'm looking for a early Thrice sound/Thursday, that's what I like to play. I guess overdrive would be enough, my amp has nothing but bass/mid/treb & volume. Obviously needs to be replaced. I figured getting a pedal would be the cheapest route..

Maybe I'd better buy an amp first, these three are in my price range: roland cube, peavey vypyr, line 6 spider.. they all seem to have a good number of options. Anything I should know?
Id recommend a really hot overdrive pedal.

I dont know much about modding pedals so maybe I did overlook a good alternative.

A Blues Driver is versatile. A Tubescreamer would also work.

Numetal pedals have a good blend of OD and Distortion. Metal Zone is versatile too.

I Dont think I would get a Distortion pedal. It will sound ok at a point and then turn into a light fuzz. Distortion pedals are really better for Grunge. Try OD and Numetal pedals.

When you go to a shop try some tweakable OD pedals.

Stay away from the Spider. You will outgrow it easily. Save your Cash and get something really nice. Even if its used. $400 will give you many of options of great amps that can be mic'ed.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by EasyBaker

Maybe I'd better buy an amp first, these three are in my price range: roland cube, peavey vypyr, line 6 spider.. they all seem to have a good number of options. Anything I should know?

Buying a new amp might be a better idea, but if I were you, I'd save up a bit of money and get a decent tube amp. Definitely don't get the spider, the roland has a nice metal-sounding distortion though.

As for pedals, the ones you've listed aren't fantastic, only the DS-1 is worth looking at, and thats only if you mod it. Personally, I like the ProCo Rat, I'm not too sure if it would suit you that well though, it might not have enough gain on tap for your tastes, the metal muff is a nice pedal though, I'm not sure how it would handle nu-metal though. A lot of people may recommend you the metal zone, but IMO its not that great, too digital sounding.