So guys, here's my plight. This weekend, I'm taking a friend to our local shop to get her first guitar. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what we should test out? Her budget can go as high as $500, but she wants to only spend around $3-400.

I've been looking at these so far:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-G-Series-G406S-New-Yorker-Acoustic-Guitar-520213-i1435808.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mitchell-MD100SCE-Dreadnought-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104494216-i1368515.gc

and this one's my favorite of what I've looked at so far, although it's almost outside her budget:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Entourage-Series-Rustic-Mini-Jumbo-QI-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-516908-i1394011.gc
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
just let her play a couple and let her decide which one feels and sounds right.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Id suggest looking at a Big Baby Taylor. Everyone Ive played has a good neck setup and sounds good, and theyre 15/16 scale- a plus for a girl, since sometimes full sized are too big.

But thats just something to consider trying.

Edit: Oh, and they're only 400, which is another plus. Does she want electonics?
Last edited by pensiveintensiv at Aug 20, 2009,
ya u cant just give a guitar to someone and say this is the right one... let her do it....although strat copys and vesions are sometimes the best for beginers just due to the fact the they are a very well rounded guitar for many styles.... but does she need an amp too?? cuz that would also affect the buget you can get a good 5-10 watter for 50-70
for $500 i think that you can get a gibson for that amount not sure on the quality of the guitar or you could look at the epiphone hummingbird or dove
Quote by ironmaiden1313
ya u cant just give a guitar to someone and say this is the right one... let her do it....although strat copys and vesions are sometimes the best for beginers just due to the fact the they are a very well rounded guitar for many styles.... but does she need an amp too?? cuz that would also affect the buget you can get a good 5-10 watter for 50-70

Next time check what forum you're in, look at the links, and read the post please. Then you'll look less stupid
Quote by pensiveintensiv
Next time check what forum you're in, look at the links, and read the post please. Then you'll look less stupid

lol'd +100!!! xD

i dint even noticed untill i read this
TS, a few comments if I may.

The Takamine you linked to will probably be the most comfortable for her to play of the group.

If she won't be gigging much or at all there is no reason to want an A/E.

Don't take the Taylor Big Baby advice. All laminate guitars for a hefty price. Bad deal.

Keep her away from Ibanez and Fender guitars. They look nice but are of poor quality and IMO sound pretty bad.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Does it have to be acoustic electric? You can get that Seagull acoustic only for 299.00, easily in her budget. Guitar center should have it.
Should, but not guaranteed. My Guitar Center didn't start stocking Seagull until really recently.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
seagull is probably your best bet in that price range, although i also like the taylor big baby myself, although it's not acoustic electric. avoid mitchell. if you have to go acoustic electric, have her try out the yamaha fgx730s. it's the top of her money, but pretty good stuff.

you can't get a gibson for that money, even used, and epiphone might be worth her trying, although i find their build quality and sound aren't as good as some other brands.
hi
i have used the taylor big baby for the last 5 years and it has been great. it is nice for sitting infront of the computer and playing along with tunes. the only downfall for me now is i find the size a little small as i play bar chords up the neck. this is a excellent guitar for its price. i am in the market for a full size now and hope to find the same sound from a full size as the baby taylor. this is buyable for under 500 bucks also.

good luck