I have an ibanez rg1570 and want to block the trem. I have been reading about sticking a piece of wood into it. The question I have is if I tune down all the strings either a half or whole step wouldn't it fall out? I don't understand how it works because the bridge drops when the strings are tuned down.
i'm guessing you're thinking of blocking it in the wrong direction. with mine, i stuck a piece of plastic under the bridge, so it's parallel with the strings, not perpendicular to it. it keeps the bridge from up-pulling, so you can down-tune, but you can still do dives and it doesn't fall out either way...

not sure if i explained that right...
To know death, you have to f*ck life in the gallbladder...
No it will not fall out. Firstly, you block it, so it can't move. That's the whole point of blocking it. Google gave me this site. http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/blocktremolo.htm look at the picture, it shows why the trem can't move. If your guitar has a back plate, it will also stop the blocks from "falling out"
Last edited by supergerbil at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by dmm128
.... if I tune down all the strings either a half or whole step wouldn't it fall out?

I don't think you understand the concept.

Spring tension will hold it against the block. If you tune down, it won't be able to go any further because of the block. That's the whole point.