Page 1 of 2
that the music industry and all creativity/originality has died/dying?
so bands that arent mind blowing are popular.
dont listen to them/
buy the bands you DO like's records.

anyone else think people are making it seem alot worse then it is?
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
i agree,

and to be honest i am pretty sure everyone listens to music they enjoy, not just because its popular. However they may find mainstream music just more accessible.
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
[quote="'xjosheex :['"]that the music industry and all creativity/originality has died/dying?
dont listen to them/

I only like bands from the 60's 70's 80's and 90's, and last time I checked most of the bands I like aren't making music anymore. therefore there is no new music, so what are you talking about?
The greatest irony you will face is the fact that we wake up to live in a nightmare
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL
well played sir, well played
If Canadia wasn't a real place then where would Canadians come from?

T_T
[quote="'xjosheex :['"]buy the bands you DO like's records.

Evolution 101

Get down Moses - part another sea,
Carve another tablet out of L.S.D.
Because it's cool to say that it's dying and that every band is a sell out.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I'm pretty sure there have been a plethora of threads on this exact same topic with people saying the exact same thing. I myself have done so.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
You'd understand if all the music you liked was old, probably.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

most of the bands coming out lately arent that great. most bands dont seem too talented, and their music talks about the same things.
Quote by Skullbolt
I only like bands from the 60's 70's 80's and 90's, and last time I checked most of the bands I like aren't making music anymore. therefore there is no new music, so what are you talking about?

Quote by Skullbolt
Favorite bands :
Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Seether, Godsmack

orly?
Utah's Token Black Guy
Im sure the people of the 60's and 70's said the same thing.
epic7734
Last edited by epic7734 at Aug 20, 2009,
Actually....

The event of the internet and rise of indie labels and self-publishing has allowed more people to get their music out there than ever before. There is more music to choose from now than at any other point in history. If you want it, you'll dig for it. If you can't be bothered to dig, you can always take what's given to you on a silver platter in the form of mainstream TV and radio hits.

Originality isn't dead. It's being original by not being on TV.

(although I can't find a lot of new bands that I truly appreciate)
Quote by codyadamscea
orly?

I said most, at least I think I did...

Edit: yeah I said most, your statement is not valid anymore T_T
The greatest irony you will face is the fact that we wake up to live in a nightmare
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL

T_T
Quote by sashki

Originality isn't dead. It's being original by not being on TV.

The only problem is how hard it can be to find new artists to get into that aren't crap, but I dunno how new that is.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I believe that the music industry needs something unique and something that people will like. A lot of bands and muscians today appear to be very similar, so people get bored quickley.
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
Quote by Skullbolt
I said most, at least I think I did...

Edit: yeah I said most, your statement is not valid anymore T_T

orly? fail.
Utah's Token Black Guy
[quote="'xjosheex :['"]that the music industry and all creativity/originality has died/dying?
dont listen to them/

cause disney "musicians" make more money than any other artist today, most bands go to more mainstream sounds, and good albums are rarer to find cause of no advertising(not enough funds) are smothering advertisement from disney in every fricking store
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
its because people dont know how to just sit back, relax, shut the **** up and listen to music. everything has to be a competition, everything is analyzed, critiqued. people cant just have a good time listenin to it, music has b ecome more a lifestyle, its not about the music anymore sadly.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
[quote="'xjosheex :['"]buy the bands you DO like's records.
don't you mean: buy the records of the bands you do like?
Quote by TOOTH&NAIL

T_T
Quote by AthenasGhost
its because people dont know how to just sit back, relax, shut the **** up and listen to music. everything has to be a competition, everything is analyzed, critiqued. people cant just have a good time listenin to it, music has b ecome more a business, its not about the music anymore sadly.

I hope that's what you meant, because otherwise, @ music as a lifestyle being bad.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
I hope that's what you meant, because otherwise, @ music as a lifestyle being bad.

He said that it's sad that it has become more of a business.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Interesting observation:
If people complain that music these days is generic, wouldn't that make it easier to make original music?
If you're provided with a concrete example of what NOT to do if you don't want to sound like a thousand other cash cows, doesn't that make it practically effortless to stand out?
Quote by rocker-princess
most of the bands coming out lately arent that great. most bands dont seem too talented, and their music talks about the same things.

Agreed
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by Karvid
He said that it's sad that it has become more of a business.

That's what I changed it to say... Read his post

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

[quote="'xjosheex :['"]Why do people think...[quote="'xjosheex :['"]that the music industry and all creativity/originality has died/dying?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SteveHouse
That's what I changed it to say... Read his post

I should do that more often.

On topic: Even if you think all the music coming out right now is bad (which I find hard to believe if you're making an effort to look for music outside of the mainstream), is it that hard to get into older bands and find other music you like? There's absolutely no way you've exhausted every single good musical outlet there is.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
I wouldnt say the industry has gone to crap, more like the general public's taste has more than anything. and as i respect everyones different musical tastes, the whole hiphop/pop/mainstream radio stream just doesnt appeal to me. there is still great music being made though, just gotta sift through all of the lame (generally overplayed) junk also being made nowadays
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
I just think of it as a kind of "young whipper-snapper" syndrome. Everyone longs for the good ole days, even if they don't really know what that means - assuming it really has a meaning.
well back in the day popular music was good
now popular music is and unoriginal and made with computers and/or by ****ty musicians.

not to say theres still not good bands out there.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Quote by sashki
Why does everyone think these guys are the epitome of music in this day and age?

Nobody over the age of 16 takes them seriously, as far as I know, unless they're the monetary means (read: parent) of a < 16 year old.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by sashki
Why does everyone think these guys are the epitome of music in this day and age?

seriously.
they suck.
there way over credited.
but, there not out burning good musicians
and FORCING you to listen to them.
unless you watch tv.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
Quote by B4Dkarma
well back in the day popular music was good
now popular music is and unoriginal and made with computers and/or by ****ty musicians.

not to say theres still not good bands out there.

And there was a ton of crap in the mainstream back then, too.

Also, music made by computers isn't automatically bad. It's just another instrument for somebody's expression.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
The situation of "bad" and "good" bands isn't solely rooted in modern society. Earlier decades only seem like better times because the music that wasn't popular then didn't survive, so we don't know about it. I guarantee very similar sentiments to today were being formed then.
It's just the fact that now, in England atleast, the large majority of road users open their windows and listen to a kick bass falling over repeadly. They call it dance i think
Check out my fitness blog here
Quote by rocker-princess

Have you ever even listened to music, ever?

Goddamn it.

It's the same thing with every fucking decade, no joke.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
Quote by maiden_man_666
It's just the fact that now, in England atleast, the large majority of road users open their windows and listen to a kick bass falling over repeadly. They call it dance i think

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Music as a lifestyle can go both ways, like everything else. Disney-watching-aged kids liking music is fantastic, but when their lifestyle strays from what the musician lifestyle has been classified as, it just isn't the same, so some people assume it's the end of music. Music isn't dying, by any means, just taking a not-so-pleasant turn for those of us that love the classics.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
[quote="'xjosheex :['"]seriously.
they suck.
they're way over credited.
but, they're not out burning good musicians
and FORCING you to listen to them.
unless you watch tv.

Fixed some of your grammar, it annoyed me, plus who is FORCING you to listen to them? Seriously don't watch Disney or listen to the radio station that plays them simple as that. I don't like/know much about them or their songs yet I don't go to every forum I see and bitch about them, give the kids some slack
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Because it's cool to say that it's dying and that every band is a sell out.

Basically. This and how lazy and disinterested people are in new music. They use the excuse of it all being bad when they've never heard any of it, like the radio is a good example of modern music really.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Page 1 of 2