Page 1 of 2
have you guys seen this thing yet?
it's the coffin shaped guitar with a floyd and emgs.

am i the only one who thinks that's stupid?
it'll probably cost about $800 and it just looks like a coffin.
it's a cool concept i guess, but that's way too expensive for IMO a gag guitar.
Yeah I got an email from Gibson letting me know bout it. In my opinion, there are much more things i'd rather be spending $800 dollars on.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
People will buy it. Just not you.

I think Dimebag's razorback guitars, the BC Rich line, and any V shape that can't be played sitting down are 'gag' shapes by your words, and they sell just fine.
Yeah I seen that, there is a vid of Zakk playin it on youtube. At first glance it looks pretty goddamn ugly. Second glance... still fukin ugly. So ugly it almost sort of starts looking mean. Not my taste though. I'll stick with my Epi LP Prophecy... Worth every 110,000 pennies.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
Quote by jean_genie
People will buy it. Just not you.

I think Dimebag's razorback guitars, the BC Rich line, and any V shape that can't be played sitting down are 'gag' shapes by your words, and they sell just fine.

i guess that's true.
but the v isn't that strange, and the razorbacks can easily be played sitting down.
bc rich to me is sort of a joke, i've never played anything from them of any quality (even the expensive guitars)
i just think this is stooping too low for epiphone.
zakk wylde's sg/v guitar was stupid enough, but now they're selling a coffin?
i don't know, i'm just used to the standard gibson style guitars.
It looks ridiculous, end of discussion.

Gibson has officially gone mad with greed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
got an email about it a few seconds ago and came to UG to see if there was anything about it yet. and there is...

IMO, its a terrible idea. who would want a guitar shaped like that other than the 10yr olds who have spider IIIs and looking for teh br00tal3st gu1t4r ev3r!!!1!!11!!1! seriously, seems like another idea thats bringing down gibson.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Quote by oneblackened
It looks ridiculous, end of discussion.

Gibson has officially gone mad with greed.

Quote by a7xsteve
got an email about it a few seconds ago and came to UG to see if there was anything about it yet. and there is...

IMO, its a terrible idea. who would want a guitar shaped like that other than the 10yr olds who have spider IIIs and looking for teh br00tal3st gu1t4r ev3r!!!1!!11!!1! seriously, seems like another idea thats bringing down gibson.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks that.
and steve, i don't think anyone could have said this better...
"who would want a guitar shaped like that other than the 10yr olds who have spider IIIs and looking for teh br00tal3st gu1t4r ev3r!!!1!!11!!1!"
I think the Flying Vs aren't bad at all, but that Jimi Hendrix model fails so damn much... it's just, it just.. wow.

Aren't Vs good for fret access or something?
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

flying Vs are really nice.
the jackson, bc rich, or the other ones where the points are longer and not equal, i don't like those.
and the Vs do have very nice fret access.
I swear I saw a Coffin shape in the Schecter Custom Gallery. I didn't like that and I won't like this either.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
i mean, if it plays well, that's another thing.
i wouldn't buy it, or play, but if it was a quality guitar, it's respectable.
but i don't think this guitar will be good for anything but looks (and it's not even good looking either)
EMG-HZ's? Are they trying to sell this or just have a laugh at the people that buy it? Also, a guitar that comes with a leg rest is too damn gimmicky.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Put Zakk's name on an entry level Squier and they will go for $800 easy.

I think this guitar will make money. Its a monstrosity to me...but That neck
and headstock would be beautiful on an LP Custom.

They Should have just done that and thrown the BLS logo on the body. IT would
be a nice replica of the Gibson he tours with.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Aug 20, 2009,
i hate how they do that.
to me, buying a signature guitar takes away your possibilities for tone.
but some people feel the need to spend extra money because someone's name is on it.
and why does zakk play for gibson anyway?
i mean, he uses the les paul occasionally, but all his other guitars are completely new guitars that he designed.
wouldn't esp or jackson or something be a better choice for him?
Quote by SeanX3187
i hate how they do that.
to me, buying a signature guitar takes away your possibilities for tone.
but some people feel the need to spend extra money because someone's name is on it.
i mean, he uses the les paul occasionally, but all his other guitars are completely new guitars that he designed.
wouldn't ESP or Jackson or something be a better choice for him?

One would think...
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oh well, at least they're making money off of him.
IMO, gibson should stop making these ridiculous guitars for a while, and drop the prices of their current guitars and focus on actually selling stuff.
all their guitars got really expensive for no reason and i don't think it's for any reason other than they want more money.
but most people i know can't afford them anymore.
I wonder if it will come with a coffin case...

EDIT: damnit should have looked it up before commenting
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
I wonder if it will come with a coffin case...

EDIT: damnit should have looked it up before commenting

haha.

Quote by carl drew
Shouldn't it come in a box of dirt? Who puts a coffin in a coffin?

that's a good point. putting a coffin in a coffin does sound strange.
Quote by Misticalz
I think the Flying Vs aren't bad at all, but that Jimi Hendrix model fails so damn much... it's just, it just.. wow.

Aren't Vs good for fret access or something?

Vs are better for fret access imo
Quote by carl drew
Shouldn't it come in a box of dirt? Who puts a coffin in a coffin?

Win!
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by SeanX3187
buying a signature guitar takes away your possibilities for tone...

Why would buying a signature guitar sap your tone? That confuses me, especially when you mentioned companies that Zakk should switch to when they equip every other guitar with EMG's anyways. A lot of sig guitars/basses are very open toned, such as the Stu Hamm Sig Bass from Fender

And I haven't seen a body design that Zakk has created yet. The SG/V was developed a long time ago by Gibson along with other mishap designs. Check your history before you make a strong comment like this

To see some of the "Unique" designs by Gibson, check out my thread about them. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166208
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 21, 2009,
This guitar and now that new SG that looks like one of them lollipops. Gibson has been doing some really dumb stuff lately. The reverse explorer? The reverse v? You have got to be kidding me!
Ugly as sin, and going to be crap just like the bullseye LP, smelly poo all wrapped in a "ooh nice" package for the kiddies with too much money and no sense of quality.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
wasn't there a thread about this guitar with Zakk Wylde playing it?

Freaking UGLY. No matter how you put it. ML's and Razorbacks look awesome =P

Especially the new DBZ Dean models... freaking ORGASMIC.

Quote by w0lf19
Ugly as sin, and going to be crap just like the bullseye LP, smelly poo all wrapped in a "ooh nice" package for the kiddies with too much money and no sense of quality.

You and me could be best friends.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by Flux'D
Why would buying a signature guitar sap your tone? That confuses me, especially when you mentioned companies that Zakk should switch to when they equip every other guitar with EMG's anyways. A lot of sig guitars/basses are very open toned, such as the Stu Hamm Sig Bass from Fender

And I haven't seen a body design that Zakk has created yet. The SG/V was developed a long time ago by Gibson along with other mishap designs. Check your history before you make a strong comment like this

To see some of the "Unique" designs by Gibson, check out my thread about them. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166208

well the early sgv wasn't the same exact shape as zakk wylde's. and also, the paint is custom for him, and i'm sure the necks of the early ones weren't made of rock maple, or whatever the hell zakk uses. which makes them custom for him.

and about not having the tonal possibilities with a signature guitar...
this is just my opinion, but i think if something is made to someone else specifications (past stock design) you don't have the possibility of your own preferences with it.
it was made to how they like it, not you.
granted, stock guitars aren't custom made for you anyway, but i wouldn't want someone elses preferences making my tone.

and i just suggested him switching to those companies because they have weird designs as a standard, not by a special request (before zakk wylde, i couldn't go out and buy a new sgv).
i personally just think it's stupid to make all these ridiculous guitars for young kids to waste their money on, before they stop selling and have to end production.
IMO, it would be smart to ask the public in a poll or something similar what sort of guitar they'd want to buy and list a couple of new designs.
whatever gets the most votes, they make, and sell and obviously it's going to be a big seller for years to come (much like the les paul, sg, v, explorer, strat, tele... the guitars everyone knows)
Quote by SeanX3187
well the early sgv wasn't the same exact shape as zakk wylde's. and also, the paint is custom for him, and i'm sure the necks of the early ones weren't made of rock maple, or whatever the hell zakk uses. which makes them custom for him...before zakk wylde, i couldn't go out and buy a new sgv...

Note that I said "his own body design." The bullseye design wasn't something that Wylde made himself. He received the original Bullseye finish LP from a pawnshop as a gift. And Dean has made them as a USA model for a few years now. In your perspective you could argue that the original Flying V aren't the same exact shape as the current model (which is true) and therefore the current Flying V isn't the same as the original. Designs gets modified and updated over the years, such as a Stratocaster's pickguard. You can't install a vintage pickguard on a current model, different number of screw mounts.

...someone else specifications (past stock design) you don't have the possibility of your own preferences with it.
it was made to how they like it, not you.
granted, stock guitars aren't custom made for you anyway, but i wouldn't want someone elses preferences making my tone.

If you're playing a stock guitar, then somebody else has made their tonal preferences into your guitar. It was designed by somebody. Technically a Les Paul is a signature model if you think about it.

whatever gets the most votes, they make, and sell and obviously it's going to be a big seller for years to come (much like the les paul, sg, v, explorer, strat, tele... the guitars everyone knows)

In the first 4 years of Razorback production they sold over 10,000 of them. The Stratocaster and Les Paul both can't compete with that number in their first 4 years. The same can go with every guitar you mentioned, Flying V's were too radical and strange for their time and they weren't in production for 9 years before they re-released the design. Thank God they decided to go out on a limb with it again, it's a popular model today and a stock design that many other guitars are based off of
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by IPlaySchecter
This guitar and now that new SG that looks like one of them lollipops. Gibson has been doing some really dumb stuff lately. The reverse explorer? The reverse v? You have got to be kidding me!

I completely and totally agree with you.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Flux'D
In the first 4 years of Razorback production they sold over 10,000 of them. The Stratocaster and Les Paul both can't compete with that number in their first 4 years. The same can go with every guitar you mentioned, Flying V's were too radical and strange for their time and they weren't in production for 9 years before they re-released the design. Thank God they decided to go out on a limb with it again, it's a popular model today and a stock design that many other guitars are based off of

i'm just saying, the les paul guitar has been around since '52.
The SG (originally les paul) - '62
Tele (originally broadcaster) - '49
Strat - '54
Flying V - '58
Explorer - '58
these guitars have been selling for around 50-60 years.
sure, they changed over time slightly (les paul for instance, turned into the sg, but also sold with classic les paul body) but they're guitars that everyone knows.
i wouldn't doubt that the razorbacks sold more faster, but my point was that the guitars i mentioned have been around longer.
the ML is from '77 (15 years after the first SG) and the razorback is only from 2004.
i'm not disrespecting anything so don't take this as an insult because i know you like the Dean company and this is not a slight towards them, but these guitars i listed were the guitars that started it all, and are the most popular, not necessarily among players, but ask a random kid who doesn't play about guitars, he'll know gibson and fender among other companies, but those two will definitely be mentioned in the list of brands they know.
i don't want to continue arguing, so i won't say any more on the subject because i know going back and forth will get annoying for both of us and will piss off the other posters in this thread.
so, you made great counterpoints, and i'm very impressed by your knowledge.
Correction: The SG has been around since 1961 known in that year as the Les Paul.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Now I wonder if Schecter will sue Gibson. The schecter, Al Jorgenson Sig(Band=Ministry) looks just like that one. Maybe the tables will be turned for a change..
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Double Correction: The ML design has been around since 1976 when Mr. Zelinsky got the design from Mat Lyn (where ML comes from).

And I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue in your last post, but I'll agree with the cease fire
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by oneblackened
Correction: The SG has been around since 1961 known in that year as the Les Paul.

ahh, my mistake.
i slipped up there.
i put the year it was first considered the SG and wrote that it was the les paul.
i didn't see that when i typed it.
Quote by Flux'D
Double Correction: The ML design has been around since 1976 when Mr. Zelinsky got the design from Mat Lyn (where ML comes from).

And I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue in your last post, but I'll agree with the cease fire

sorry about that, i have the worst sentence structure so a lot of stuff i say makes no sense.
but i didn't realize zelinsky got the design in 76, i just knew that it was available for purchase in '77.
thanks for clarifying for me.
Am I the only one that lol'd my head off when I saw the title of the web page with teh br00tal guitar on it?

"Presenting...A Zakk Wylde Original!!"

Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Page 1 of 2