Hi, I have been enrolled in a High School shop program in which I've made an acoustic and an electric guitar. My senior project this year is to build an extremely high quality, Olympic style hippy sandwich bass. I have several things to chose from wood and style wise. I have always been told ash is the best wood when it comes to bass tonally so I thing I would like to have a ash core with walnut wings, zebra wood for the top veneer, and a koa veneer for the headstock. Something in my gut tells me this will probably weigh a ton. Would I be correct in guessing that?

On the flipside, I believe I am going to make it a fret-less because in the past fretting and leveling frets have been my weakness. I am quite nervous about getting the neck angle right though and would love tips on this. I am going for simplicity on this project because the parameters are ambitious enough as it is and I will probably stick to a simple sting ray design (which I then have to hand carve). What does UG think of this plan?
Last edited by Hgtcore3 at Aug 20, 2009,
well, one thing i CAN tell you: DO NOT use ash for the neck. it WILL warp, as far as i know.

also, there is probably a type of bridge that does not require a neck angle. research that a little bit. if not, what i recomment doing is sanding or filing the neck pocket area to the correct angle, and then routing down from there.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
If making a neck angle seems to difficult for you, you can recess many types of bridges, which would remove the necessity of a neck angle.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
recessed bridge also looks cooler

cant believe i didnt mention that
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Hmm. I have never heard of a recessed bridge on a bass before but I can easily see what merits would be. On my two previous guitars I had to eventually play with neck shims on the electric and reset the acoustic which was one of the most tedious things I've ever done. Do you have any pictures of what this would look like on a bass because a quick google search showed nothing. Would walnut be too heavy to make a core out of?
For a bass I would probably make the body heavy and keep the neck light.

Quote by AngusJimiKeith
well, one thing i CAN tell you: DO NOT use ash for the neck. it WILL warp, as far as i know.
I plan to test this theory very soon

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
For a bass I would probably make the body heavy and keep the neck light.

I plan to test this theory very soon

Tey do make pool and snooker cues from Ash, so if it is natural warping he is talking about, then I should think it will be ok.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I'm pretty sure just about any wood would (haha, wood would) be fine for a neck as long as it had a truss rod, two or so carbon fiber rods, and was laminated against itself for further support. Plus, don't forget the added support of the fretboard.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, it all looks good to me!
Quote by Albino_Rhino
If making a neck angle seems to difficult for you, you can recess many types of bridges, which would remove the necessity of a neck angle.

+1. Or, partially recessed bridge FTMFW!

Quote by Skeet UK
Tey do make pool and snooker cues from Ash, so if it is natural warping he is talking about, then I should think it will be ok.

I don't know about you, but I don't put 200+ pounds of tension on my pool cues.
^exactly what i was thinking. baseball bats, for example: ash. they dont warp. but hit 'em with a 97mph fastball, and you can easily break it. thats if it hits suddenely. slowly applied, ala guitar/bass strings, it will bend.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by cedricsmods
+1. Or, partially recessed bridge FTMFW!

I don't know about you, but I don't put 200+ pounds of tension on my pool cues.

Which is why I specified "if it is natural warping he is talking about", rather than tension related, which can be accommodated by the truss rod and carbons if required.

The point being, that an ash pool cue, is a thin single bit of wood thinner than a neck, but remains stable and straight.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Aug 21, 2009,