well i just found out that two of my band members were both in another band together.
now the other band sucks ive checked into it.
and our singer misses practice all the time

im worried that they will use riffs ive made up and simply changed something to put into there other band.

so should i just try to find another band?
cuz i dont want my riffs to be copyed into the others music, and im sure that they do value the other band

kthxbai
i <3 asian girls.
If they're in another band its because they want to write their own songs.
I'm in another band, My larger, more experienced band sounds nothing like the project I started. But if you're that worried, jsut start a new band you have fun playing with.
Well personally i dont have problems with other people being in other bands as long they dont do pretty much what you just said lmao. I would talk to them to find out or start looking for another band for yourself?

Myself and my drummer are in seperate bands part from the band we are together in and we make sure that practices dates for each band are made clear so there is no mix up and nothing like that.
My brother is drummer for 2 differents band (a funky-rock band and a psychedelic/on shrooms rock band ) and even if he play more with the funky band (the other being less serious because of shrooms) both band are chill and they don't have a single same riff.
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
If you're worried about them "stealing" the riffs, just record them and save them on the computer. The computer will record the date that the file was created and the riffs will automatically be covered by copyright.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
If you're worried about them "stealing" the riffs, just record them and save them on the computer. The computer will record the date that the file was created and the riffs will automatically be covered by copyright.

Not sure thats true . . . where do you take from?
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
Yep yep. Material that you've created is immediately copyrighted once recorded onto any form of medium (mp3, cd etc).

That being said, you'd still have a very hard time trying to legally prove they've copied you if the did. That's the nature of music plagiarism .
hmmm good ideas guys
but i know that there band is metal grindcore or w/e
and ours is metal
idk

hey that copyright idea on my comp is good thx =]
i <3 asian girls.
I'd be flattered if someone used my riff's
I would think of it more of a complement on my composing
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote by cta-joey
I'd be flattered if someone used my riff's
I would think of it more of a complement on my composing

ya. until they get more attention to it. then become famous. then you'll feel like ****.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Geezus
Not sure thats true . . . where do you take from?

I have a law degree.

Edit: You can protect yourself further by registering the song with the relevant copyright agency within your area.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by mattbellamee
ya. until they get more attention to it. then become famous. then you'll feel like ****.

not really. still be flattered.
I could care less if I got credit for my own riffs.
as long as 1 person heard it and liked it I'm happy.
besides the music isn't what get bands famous in the fist place.
if they get famous and use my riff's it just proves they were better at marketing it.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
As a lawyer, would you allow someone to use a date stamp on a computer as evidence against your client?

Or would you question the integrity and validity of it?

Watch how easy this is...

1. Set the clock on your computer to today's date and time, only changing the year on your calendar to 1980.

2. Create a text file or something. Give it a name, save it, and close it.

3. Reset your computer clock to the proper year, 2009.

Result is attached.

@TS - You should really check out the copyright for dummies thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

It seems I have essentially proved that windows existed in 1980 too... j/k

CT
Attachments:
screenshot.JPG
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by jrock888000
-cut-

kthxbai

Oh. Looks like you don't need our help after all.
Seriously though, using Kthxbai makes you look ignorant.
Not saying you ARE ignorant, but just a heads up.

And I doubt that your guitarists will steal your riffs. Unless it's a particularly awesome riff that is, in which case, I'd write the WHOLE song (including all the other parts) by YOURSELF, and copyright it in one way or another. In england, doing something like E-mailing yourself (with the attatched song), Or mailing yourself a sealed envelope (with the CD) is enough to prove it's your song. But if I were you, I would check into it.

EDIT: ^ there is also that up there

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Aug 28, 2009,
Quote by axemanchris
As a lawyer, would you allow someone to use a date stamp on a computer as evidence against your client?

Haha. Perhaps not. If I was serious about copyrighting it, recording it would be a first step. Uploading would help go towards proving when exactly the product was created - there would effectively be two computers with a recorded time. The most complete way of covering yourself would be to register the work with an appropriate authority, as well as everything you've written about in the great sticky on this board.
Soundcloud
Why don't you record it and upload it in the tabs and chords section for crit. You can't change the date on UG so wouldn't that prove you made it first, or am I missing something here?
Hey there.
It might.... if I were the defending lawyer, I would be looking for evidence of the reliability of the time/date information of UG. Although, if the two sources corroborated each other, it might otherwise be pretty convincing.

There is lots of info on this very kind of thing in the copyright for dummies sticky.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.