well i dont know too much about them but what are they're qualities and why do bands like Earth and Sunn O))) love em so much. probably a dumb question but any help would be cool
haha i saw the name of the post and was like
oh god dont tell me Sunn O))) uses them >.<
xD
from what i see, i think SUNN O))) makes them?
Quote by XChainsawGorgeX

from what i see, i think SUNN O))) makes them?

Um....no.

They're old amps from the late 60's or so.
Sunn O))) use them and get their name from them.

Quote by seizureman
well i dont know too much about them but what are they're qualities and why do bands like Earth and Sunn O))) love em so much. probably a dumb question but any help would be cool

This is aquestion for the Post Rock thread!

Post it there....you'll get in depth replies xwearesinking and Mr. jiggy Fly, both of whom own Sunn's.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21293940#post21293940
Last edited by unet at Aug 20, 2009,
I held a mild interest in them for a while, until I read up on them. Supposedly, they have very nice cleans (I can't compare to Fender's, I'd need 'em side by side) and certain models have nice distortion. They are older amps, and many of the models I found on eBay were of the Non-master volume variety (correct me if I'm wrong for this next part) which means there's no gain knob. All the distortion comes from the tube clipping (most models are all tube?) when you turn up the amp. That was my main turn-off, because I was hoping it would have a decent amount of headroom for metal, and have a different tone than most other stuff on the market. But from what I've read, they're really not bad, they just weren't what I needed.
Sunn O))) (company) was born when a couple dudes from a band called the Kingsmen decided to make a bass amp that was loud and clean enough to play huge venues in the early 60's.

Sunn's are notorious for being absolutely huge and powerful sounding. They usually use 6550's (basically KT-88's). They have massive outputs (all their amps are underrated as well). My Sunn Sonic I-40 from 1968 puts out about 160 watts.

Drone bands use them because of how powerful they sound. You can literally feel the low end more than you can hear it when you crank up the bass, which is desired in drone. They take pedals really well and are built like tanks.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
sunn amps are amazing. I've only seen and heard two before and they might be the loudest cleanest bass amps ever. neither had pedals, but they were really loud (i had 30db earplugs in and still had a headache) and really clean.
Quote by xwearesinking
Sunn O))) (company) was born when a couple dudes from a band called the Kingsmen decided to make a bass amp that was loud and clean enough to play huge venues in the early 60's.

Sunn's are notorious for being absolutely huge and powerful sounding. They usually use 6550's (basically KT-88's). They have massive outputs (all their amps are underrated as well). My Sunn Sonic I-40 from 1968 puts out about 160 watts.

Drone bands use them because of how powerful they sound. You can literally feel the low end more than you can hear it when you crank up the bass, which is desired in drone. They take pedals really well and are built like tanks.

haha yeah i defintaltely felt the low end when i saw them live
Sorry I'm late!

Sunn amps are truly phenomenal. I have a Sunn Spectrum I from 1967. As others have said, they are AMAZINGLY clean and warm, and they take pedals far better than most amps out there. Also, they are extremely loud and do not break up easily. Don't buy one for heavy distortion unless you plan on using a pedal.

I could not be happier with mine. If you can find one for a good price, get it! You won't be disappointed.
Sunn amps are probably the only vintage amps that really get me going. They are amazing sounding amps

Someday I shall own a Model T... but until then... I might have to settle for a Spectrum or a Sceptre
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com