I'm looking for a DAW program, but I don't know where to start. I'm gonna be loading VST's like Superior Drummer and IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik. Please tell me if some are better than others or if I should avoid one.
Try Reaper out. Its free, and I like it

Cubase is probably better, but it isnt free.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Try Reaper out. Its free, and I like it

Cubase is probably better, but it isnt free.

Reaper is pretty amazing (its not free it just has a fully capable 30 day trial) for the price tag of 60$. honestly if software has Le in the title it will prob be worst then reaper.
If you're asking this question Reaper is all you'll need.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by MetalBass 77
Reaper is pretty amazing (its not free it just has a fully capable 30 day trial) for the price tag of 60$. honestly if software has Le in the title it will prob be worst then reaper.

Yeah but they dont force you to pay
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by drawnacrol
So even if you don't pay you can still use reaper after the trial is over?

yea but you really should pay. some guy worked his ass off on it and is giving you this top-notch software for 60$. even if you go a bit over the 30 day trial make a point to buy it.
Quote by MetalBass 77
yea but you really should pay. some guy worked his ass off on it and is giving you this top-notch software for 60$. even if you go a bit over the 30 day trial make a point to buy it.

I bet they were a bunch of guys.
Quote by mightywarrior
I bet they were a bunch of guys.

3 developers anyways thats besides the point. they give you top notch quiality software with an assload of included plugins for 60$. i think they deserve even more than that but their lucky to give that low price and a FULLY capable free trial. youll feel better when you buy it.
So I'm guessing I should go with reaper. But, how does it compare to Cubase? And I'm also looking for something with pitch correction, or can I get that as a plug-in?
Quote by MiKill93
So I'm guessing I should go with reaper. But, how does it compare to Cubase? And I'm also looking for something with pitch correction, or can I get that as a plug-in?

im not sure but reaper is bound to have it. also theres tons of free vst's on teh web that im sure youll find a pitch correction one, if its not in reaper.
Quote by MetalBass 77
im not sure but reaper is bound to have it. also theres tons of free vst's on teh web that im sure youll find a pitch correction one, if its not in reaper.

Theres no vst for pitch correction included with reaper, but theres 2 programs, autotune, and melodyne, that are pitch correcting programs.
I would feel guilty using Melodyne, cause it seems like you don't even have to be close to hitting the notes to adjust to them.
Do a search for autotune on kvraudio.com, you'll get one or two free ones (can't comment on quality).

Cuabse does have more features, but unless you're sure you're going to use them a lot don't bother. I know a guy who uses Cubase to make dance music and he'd be fine with Reaper.
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
Quote by Union Of V
Do a search for autotune on kvraudio.com, you'll get one or two free ones (can't comment on quality).

Cuabse does have more features, but unless you're sure you're going to use them a lot don't bother. I know a guy who uses Cubase to make dance music and he'd be fine with Reaper.

So, would having lots of plug-ins make up for not having Cubase and am I just missing out on useless features?
At the stage you're at you aren't missing out on much feature-wise. Sure, the plugins that come with Cubase are better quality than a lot of freeware plugins, but it's not worth spending about €300 extra just for those, and as for extra features AFAIK they are really just advanced MIDI processing like arpeggiators which aren't really necessary and things like time-strech which is unnecessary if you play correctly when you're recording.

I wouldn't say having LOTS of plugins is good, try out lots but only use one's you're comfortable with. There's nothing worse than having 20 EQ's in your plugins folder and not knowing which one to choose....
Quote by Tombe
I've heard nasty things about Cubase LE that you can't have more than 2 VSTs per track. What if you want an amp + cab + delay/reverb?

Reaper is cheap, powerful enough, amazingly easy to use and it has a nice Graphic User Interface that is great for full control over your recording.

There is plenty of good cheap midi prossesors, amp simulators, ... so OPEN YOUR F0CK1N6 EYES.

EXAMPLES

Free MIDI prosesor: NI Kore Player and they have 1 free expansion pack too and there is probably 1000 of them on the internet

Free Amp simulatrs: there's a world of them. The new ones on AcmeBarGig's- , Nick Crow's- and LePau's ones theres many of them.

Free EQ: Just google, my friend
Last edited by GisleAune at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^Its far from easy to use at first, but once you get the hang of it, its great.

Just try another DAW my friend and you'll think of reapers learning process as really easy.
People who are used to 21st century GUIs tend to find Reaper a bit hard at first, but in terms of workflow it's No. 1. Actually maybe Live beats it, but I could never get my head around having 2 arrangement views...
Quote by Tombe
Reaper is a great cheap DAW that's well worth the money, Cubase is a lot better if you do work with MIDI, sampling and extensive editing though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by GisleAune
Just try another DAW my friend and you'll think of reapers learning process as really easy.

I have Protools on my Mac with my Digidesign 002 mixer and I find it a lot easier than Reaper, but thats IMO.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz