the marshall DSL series? I have played the 401 combo (40 watt) before, and really liked it, but ended up choosing a fender blues deluxe, bad decision. I love the cleans, but even with pedals im having a hard time getting a good lead/rhythm tone. As someone who is just a bedroom player/jammer, the DSL 50 watt 1/2 stack and the 401 combo are very appealing to me. My plan would be to use the fender for cleans, and use the DSL for crunchy, rock n' roll rhythm and hard rock leads. most used combos are around $500 and the heads are right around there too, which is right in my price range. I just know that UG has opinions on almost every amp, so I figured I'd ask for their opinion on this one too.

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
Last edited by MBradley2011 at Aug 20, 2009,
I made the same mistake it was a marshall half stack or a used blues deluxe..and i picked the blues deluxe for that fender clean tone
I play a marshall dsl50 head into a 2X12 marshall cab. for the record, i've had the stock tubes replaced with matched pairs of JJ tubes for an ever-so-slightly darker sound. I play a gibson SG thru it most of the time, but i've played a souped-up epiphone les paul thru it for many years too. i found that the 'deep' switch on the amp is handy for giving more body to the thinner SG guitar. my EQ's are normally all at 12 o'clock

i researched the various marshall that were available in 2004 when i bought the amp, and it came out on top... it was the only one that was all-tube, channel-switchable, and didn't have an unnecessary third channel that provides distortion in amounts i'll never need. i opted for 50 watts and 2 speakers so as to get the versatility of a head/cabinet setup, but with the punch and low-volume overdrive of a combo.

the amp itself has never failed me in any way, and i've trucked it around the whole city on bumpy roads in the back of my jeep, gigged with it, recorded with it, and basically put it through it's paces for the last five years.

to be honest, this much ampage may be overkill for just a bedroom... if people in your house are likely to complain about the volume, it'll certainly be hard to enjoy the amp.

the 401 won't be much quieter. i used to hear nasty things about their reliability, but i've recently heard that those issues were addressed, and the newest production models are much better now.

i think the masrhall would be a great amp for you, but only if you're gonna have a chance to play it louder than 2. the amp has great onboard distortion, so you may find some of your overdrive pedals to be unnecessary if you buy it.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Aug 20, 2009,
to guitarskater11: it came down to a new blues deluxe that I could save 10% on, or a used dsl401. My dad sort of pressured me into the blues deluxe, because it was brand new and cheaper. oh well, live and learn.

to frigginjerk: thank you for your very good review. I'm not too worried about the amount of wattage, my blues deluxe is 40 watts and i'm able to crank it a good amount while not bothering anybody, plus I understand that all tube amps need to be cranked in order to sound good, so I would understand if the sound was sub-par if I have it at lower volumes. Im glad you mentioned I wont have to use many overdrive pedals, because I've bought so many trying to get a good distortion sound out of my fender, so not having to use them anymore would be awesome lol. again, thank you for taking the time to give me some more information about the amp

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects