I've played with a lot of people who have used MGs. Most of the time, it's painful. The one guy I played with whose tone I could stand had a stock Epi LP Studio, so I'm assuming the muddy pickups helped to smooth out the harshness into some bearable, but not really good. But I also saw a band a few weeks ago playing an MG head through a no-name 2x12 cab. It sounded great. Is it possible MGs are actually alright heads when coupled with decent speakers?
Last edited by cutslikedrugsx at Aug 20, 2009,
Eh maybe. Anything's possible.

The school marching band had a competition and they had a guitarist that played the free bird intro and solo and his tone was RIDICULOUS. It sounded really great. I asked him what gear he used and he said it was a Spider III Halfstack and a Strat. I thought he was joking at first but he was serious.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
some guys play better than others.

i have an epi studio and an mg and it plays better thru a real amp.

so i'll leave you wt that.
no reason to try to make an mg into something it's not.
and buying an mg head, doesnt make much sense. better to start wt a better head.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I think that guy posted that on UG. No?

Not sure what you're talking about...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
There was a guy who's band instructor got a bit of cash to fund a mini 'rock concert setting thing' for a half time or something and the guy who was going to play the guitar wanted to know if an MG stack would be good. You know, 'cause it says Marshall and all...

TS - Jenny is right. Don't plunk your money into that thing for anyone reading this. The documented problems with that amp are beyond the speakers. If you want amp help, we'll help you.

(I get that you are not asking if you should buy one but you've been around here long enough)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 20, 2009,
I own a JCM800 and Dual Rec...

But the MG did sound pretty decent with whatever cab it was... that got me thinking, and destroyed a bit of prejudice I'd picked up on from hanging around here.

Edit: ive got a gibson strat and a 100 watt marshall mg100dhx head can i plug it into my computer recoding thing and use my computer speakers how do i get a slash tone?????////
Last edited by cutslikedrugsx at Aug 20, 2009,
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
I own a JCM800 and Dual Rec...

But the MG did sound pretty decent with whatever cab it was... that got me thinking, and destroyed a bit of prejudice I'd picked up on from hanging around here.

Edit: ive got a gibson strat and a 100 watt marshall mg100dhx head can i plug it into my computer recoding thing and use my computer speakers how do i get a slash tone?????////

i even swapped the speaker in my mg.

so, you like it then go buy one.

making a thread like this makes you sound like a troll. if you want to champion behind the much maligned mg. then go for it. whoopie, be a rebel.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by cutslikedrugsx

A who with the what now?
Quote by jj1565

making a thread like this makes you sound like a troll. if you want to champion behind the much maligned mg. then go for it. whoopie, be a rebel.

I'm not championing anything, please don't put words in my mouth. I'm just being objective, something this forum rarely is with all it's bandwagons.

I've tried MGs in GC and they were godawful. The last rhythm guitarist in my band brought the 100W combo, dimed the bass and treble and completely cut the mids... well, thank god we cding ouldn't hear him through the mix. Not only was he shredding the entire time, like a good rhythm guitarist should, he kept doing well past the end of each song, which was the only time we could hear him. Awful tone. Before we kicked him out, I tried to help explain to him why that EQ setting was bad and tweaked it for him. Never got a good sound out of the thing, but he still thought he had an awesome amp cause he was an idiot. But unless the guy I saw playing through that random cab had some other amp hiding inside his MG... well, the only explanation I can think of is that the speakers account for the majority of awfulness in the tone. I never said it was worth the price, and if I did get, I'd sure as hell be getting an extended warranty, but I'm still wondering if the speakers are masking an otherwise decent sounding SS amp.
again no. it's not just the really cheap ass speakers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by spootz
Sniff, sniff............

TROLL!!!!!!

Dude, before you call troll check the join date and post history. TS has been here for 2 and a half years and has over 450 posts.

To TS: When I hear people say that MGs and Spider IIIs suck, there's a level of tolerance in my head for the fact that any amp being manufactured can do something at least decently. Companies like Marshall and Line 6 wouldn't put out a product that is completely devoid of any possible goodness. But they can put out a product that completely lacks versatility, is difficult to use, doesn't work well with other equipment, or is generally illogical for practical use.

MGs and Spider IIIs are bashed so much not because it's impossible to get A good sound out of it (if you're willing to work hard enough, compromise on what tone you want, etc.) but rather because it is so hard to get any good tone out of it and there are better options for the price. My $.02, for what it's worth.
Quote by spootz
Sniff, sniff............

TROLL!!!!!!

He has been a member of this forum for long enough to pretty much be excluded from trolling.
Please don't think that anyone who asks questions of a controversial subject are trolls.

The MG is a little better with a speaker change.
But that's in a sence like spraying Febreeze in a trashcan.
It's only better, not good.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
I've played with a lot of people who have used MGs. Most of the time, it's painful. The one guy I played with whose tone I could stand had a stock Epi LP Studio, so I'm assuming the muddy pickups helped to smooth out the harshness into some bearable, but not really good. But I also saw a band a few weeks ago playing an MG head through a no-name 2x12 cab. It sounded great. Is it possible MGs are actually alright heads when coupled with decent speakers?

The only thing they're good for is paperweights...
and making others ears suffer/bleed

/thread
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Being honest one can make an MG head sound OK, but not great. But when it comes to going to gig volume the amp breaks up. As for the combo. Nothing much can said about it, even though we all know someone who had one at some point. But in all fairness the amp doesn't deserved to be butchered in threads. Its an ok low volume head or combo. It all depends on how you use it
“English is the language this article is written in.”
~Captain Obvious On English
Quote by hendrixftw
The only thing they're good for is paperweights...
and making others ears suffer/bleed

/thread

Don't listen to this idiot.

Quote by thatwhiteguy69
i Have a Marshall MG15cdr. and i played my guitar in my friends MG halfstack, and we both agree that my amp has much better tone.

is there something different about the CDR series?

MG's sound better the smaller the wattage. So basically a 15 sounds better than any other MG.

Quote by cutslikedrugsx
ive got a gibson strat

No you haven't.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by MH400
Don't listen to this idiot.

MG's sound better the smaller the wattage. So basically a 15 sounds better than any other MG.

No you haven't.

and a small nuclear bomb going off in a city doesn't kill as many as a big one...but people still die...
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
I think that decent speakers will help, but the speakers aren't the only problem.

some people can get ok tones out of MGs, infact i heard someone get a decent clean tone with the chorus/delay effect. One MG owner told me "don't use the FDD and it'll sound a little better at higher volumes - the FDD is bollocks". I think the distortion is bollocks no matter what you do with it but there you go.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The MG's arent as bad as everyone says, but that doesnt mean theyre good. You have to remember alot of the people who bash them have never even played one. Some people can make them sound pretty good.
Quote by MH400

No you haven't.

and at a push..

Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
^ To be honest, I just think said poster is a bit of an idiot and doesn't own either of those godwaful guitars.
Well some settings can make the MG shine, of course you'd have to have a decent set of pickups as well though.

I still have a MG, and for a crunchy bite-y sound;
gain-7 or 8, Bass 6, Contour 8, treble 8. Take the mids down for more metal, add for rock.

I have a SD JB humbucker and as long as I have a new sounding set of strings on my guitar, it's a nice enough sound.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by Aidy Damage
^ To be honest, I just think said poster is a bit of an idiot and doesn't own either of those godwaful guitars.

he could be one of those kids who thinks that an epiphone is a gibson because "GIBSON OWNS EPIPHONE NOW LOLOL" (as though that's any news to anyone who hasn't lived under a rock since 1957) and has an epiphone strat.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
For my school talent show I played through a mate's MG100DFX. It was on it's overdrive channel and sounded ok, but my friend put pretty good settings on it. I guess it could have been worse

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
I used to use an MG100hdfx and liked it. untill I tried a better amp. then I got an AVT which is slightly better and my mate was selling it cheap.
It depends what level your playing, in noisey pub when you're a beginner you might get away with using an MG but as soon as you play a venue where people can pick up the guitar tone you'll realise it sounds fairly awful
Better than a spider though