Long enough to get a record deal and be pretty well known.
Quote by Jackal58
What? You don't speak wigger? Allow me to translate:
Hai gais I'm a troll!!!!!!
**** bro, i mean like me and my band got a demo tape hopefully if i can get that **** out i can do something and try getting a deal with Jackson
yeah you have to be damn well known...i am endorsed by awe-in-one picks though; just sent them some youtube vids of mine (some lessons) and they liked em...asked politely, said please and thank you and it worked! I'd imagine a lot of smaller companies like them are willing to endorse you, but people like Gibson or MXR or something will take some fame
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Companies will endorse you, sponsor you, whatever, when they think that you will be a person who represents their company enough to influence others to buy their products. When you see a picture of Steve Vai with his custom Ibanez guitar, you say, "Hey, if it's good enough for Vai, then they must be pretty damned good!" When you see some nobody schmuck from some band nobody has ever heard of and they're there playing a Jackson or an ESP or whatever, people similarly say to themselves, "Ah, all the nobodies play Jacksons! They're probably not as good as those Ibanez ones that Vai plays."

In a nutshell, that is how it works.

How much free stuff or money or whatever they are willing to give you is directly proportional to how much consumer influence they figure you will have. If they figure that you will have no consumer influence (or at least not enough to justify doing all the back-work involved), then you don't get anything.

CT

PS. - the question about Death Magnetic.... not here. Wrong forum. Try the Pit or the Metal forum or something.
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
At least be signed. Not exactly what your looking for maybe, but some indie clothing labels do band sponsorships, which is a good deal both ways. But if you were to get a Jackson deal, it would probably go thru the parent company, in this case the company that owns Fender, Axl, Guild, and a few other companies, FMIC. Im pretty sure that would take a pretty good following, and probably not just a local one either. If you wanna start out, try looking at some smaller, more boutique-ish, brands.

EDIT: Definatly find out if there are any local luthiers/amp builders in your area. Those guys would be some of the first people to look at for an "endorsement" deal. They need the support and exposure far more than any big-brand manufacturer, and the products will probably be much more suited to your personal style of playing and sound.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by qotsa1998
At least be signed.

Not necessary, you can be endorsed without being signed. You just need to prove that you have a large enough following that the companies equipment will be seen, and therefore, advertised by you. So I'd say having a solid fanbase and substantial/regular gigging are probably the least things you need.

Of course, being signed is a big bonus because that basically shows that you have these things already.
The company that endorses you is essentially paying you for advertising. If a company gives you a guitar in order to endorse you, they are essentially saying "you are worth *value of guitar* in advertising revenue to us" Since a guitar will cost ~£1000 they have to realistically expect their name to be put out to market the same amount as £1000 of advertising would be.

Say company expects an average advertising return of 100:1. (that is for every £1 thy spend advertising they can expect to get £100 revenue in) they give you a £1000 guitar - that means they are expecting you, by having one of their prodcuts, to generate £100,000 of revenue for them. If you can't even sell £100,000 worth of records, it's unlikely you're going to be able to sell that many guitars for them...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
If you can't even sell £100,000 worth of records, it's unlikely you're going to be able to sell that many guitars for them...

Well put!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Remember that it's not just massive guitar brands handing out ridiculous amounts of high-end gear. I've seen tons of myspace bands having banners and whatnot telling people about their Ernie Ball string sponsorships, and various other things like that.

As an amateur player those are far more useful to you, and far more likely to happen.