So i have a jackson kelly performer. I restrung it recently (gauge 11's) and i noticed the e string was detuning. I tightened it back up to standard and it popped and lost alot of tension. I tightened it back up to standard again and this time the string broke at the bridge at the ball end. Anyone know what's causing this popping and loss of tension right afterwards. I don't think it's the tuners because it popped once when i had the nut locked. It seems to be only the e string as well. Idk. I have a licensed floyd by the way. Thanks in advance. Alex.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
very strange... i've had this problem with my guitars before, but always hardtail models. sometimes the tuner would slip and i'd have to wind it up again. my guess is the fine tuner is a little out of whack. i'd loosen the nut and adjust the fine tuners so they're all even and try again. chances are you already did that, but i don't really know what to tell you, thats very strange.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
very strange... i've had this problem with my guitars before, but always hardtail models. sometimes the tuner would slip and i'd have to wind it up again. my guess is the fine tuner is a little out of whack. i'd loosen the nut and adjust the fine tuners so they're all even and try again. chances are you already did that, but i don't really know what to tell you, thats very strange.

See, that was my first thought, and that's what i did after the first pop. The fine tuners were all in line then, so i tuned it back up again and it snapped... I just sat there scratching my head and cursing because i broke a fairly brand new string haha...
Anyone else have any clues? Sorry for the double post but i really don't want to leave a string off of my guitar for more than the night. Call me obsessive compulsive lol...
could have just been a weird string... you could pop open a new pack of strings and put an e on there for now, then go buy a single replacement string tomorrow. i really have no clue how that could have happened on a locking system haha
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
could have just been a weird string... you could pop open a new pack of strings and put an e on there for now, then go buy a single replacement string tomorrow. i really have no clue how that could have happened on a locking system haha

Same here dude. I've had strings pop like that before on my guitar but never randomly break. I don't know. I guess i'll throw another e string on there tonight or tomorrow and report back here with the results. Wish me luck!