So, today my Orange Crush 35B arrived and it has a line out, and I have Cakewalk Sonar on my computer. I tried to record earlier with one cable in the line out socket on my Orange, then with a 1/8" adapter put on and plugged into the line in socket on my PC. My bass was also hooked up to the amp (obviously), but nothing showed up while I was attempting to record. So I'm curious now if I need a DI box or not?

TL;DR: want to record bass on my computer, not sure exactly how.
I'm not entirely sure as I'm not experienced with this kind of stuff, but I think you just need a USB interface for your computer. I think.
Yeah that's the kind of thing I was thinking, but I'd suggest you wait for input from people who have done this kind of thing or explore more. I just don't want to send you off buying something when it may be the wrong thing. Also, I think DIs are more suited for hooking right into a mixer.
Something with tone shaping if it's bass>box>computer, but if you're going through you're amp too, then you can just get a basic DI.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Look at cheap audio interfaces.
I got my TAPCO one for around £70 and I can plug straight into that.
Plus its good for recording other instruments.
thats a di box what your wanting is a usb interface
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Before you go buying stuff...

Line out on most amps usually comes from the pre-amp, so it's quite quiet. Line in on most computers doesn't apply any amplification, so it can only work with what it gets. So if you've got a tiny faint trace in Sonar, that might be why. You could use the 'Mic In' socket - that has a modest amp.

If you have no signal at all, check which input device on your PC, Sonar is looking for. Then check the lead, and particularly, the little 1/4" - 1/8" step down adaptor. I've got a few of those, and half of them are dodgy. Not unusual...

Otherwise, as mentioned before, it's a USB interface you need. There's lots to choose from; from cheap to, well, not cheap. Tascam, Line 6, ART are all good names.

Or howabout a USB mic? I know Samson's cheapest one is about £35 over here, and actually has a 1/4" input on it, so's you can sing and play. Or just record your amp, in a room, with its' speaker, and some air. The way it should be.
I just use an 1/8" adapter and plug by bass directly into the computer and use a downloaded amp modeling software (Guitar Rig, Amplitube). It depends if illegal downloading bothers you. Also I have a Mac so I'm not sure if that works on a PC. I recently have been using JamLab from M-Audio (Mac & PC compatible) . It comes with it's own software but it is compatible with pretty much anything (Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Garageband). $50 online.

I've recorded my bass the way you said you tried (line out into line in on the computer), and i've found that I can't turn up the volume a lot or i get some serious clipping on my recording. at first i thought it was my speakers exploding but looking at the wavetooth made it pretty clear that it was clipping. idk how to fix that though, besides recording very quietly and then increasing the volume later (which is what i did)

what program are you using?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by creepingjesus73
Or howabout a USB mic? I know Samson's cheapest one is about £35 over here, and actually has a 1/4" input on it, so's you can sing and play. Or just record your amp, in a room, with its' speaker, and some air. The way it should be.

I might want some further advice on this, I'll send you a PM...

Quote by capslockisnton
what program are you using?
Cakewalk Sonar

Quote by Stingray5
It depends if illegal downloading bothers you.

It doesn't. Because technically it's only illegal if you put it on a disc.
^can you see waveforms in that? i.e. can you tell if there is just a small sound that you can't really hear or if there is absolutely nothing
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!